Disability Insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SM761987

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for recommendations on disability insurance. Most private practices do not offer this benefit.

What are some important things to look for when searching for disability insurance?
Does anyone on this forum have recommendations on specific companies to contact for quotes?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine is through the msg full pay for short term paid covered by msg and then long term policy at 80% of salary. Long term premiums fully paid by msg. This should really be part of a good contract. I would have to look at the company but not likely comparable as they “buy in bulk” for providers.

Reactions: 1 users
Mine is through the msg full pay for short term paid covered by msg and then long term policy at 80% of salary. Long term premiums fully paid by msg. This should really be part of a good contract. I would have to look at the company but not likely comparable as they “buy in bulk” for providers.
My situation is almost identical.

Make sure you get a plan with tail insurance. You dont want to pay for this after the fact.

There is at least 1 white coat investor podcast with really good info and what to look for.

Edit this is about personal disability. I thought I read personal disability and malpractice. So omit my statement about tail.

Last edited:
Use an independent agent. Mine is for about 11k a month. I pay about $400. Has a rider for own occupation that is pretty generous. Also allows for increases starting in 1 year. I think this is one reason why a little higher. I could only get 11k because that was based off of my previous MSG income. But I expect to 1.5-2x my previous salary now that with Ortho, and I want to be able to get the coverage increase (so you pay for that luxury) as soon as I can.

will look up some details and be back

Last edited:
Also disability policies as a W2 and associated with a large group is a completely different animal that a 1099/independent policy.

Reactions: 1 user
The first recommendation is to think about if you need disability (or life, etc insurance) before shop for it. That is a personal choice, and you have to remember the insurance salesman is not an unbiased advisor. They are eyeing a commission and not just your best interests. It is unlikely you can even ask about insurance on WCI without a half dozen PMs and replies wanting to help you help them. Just because your co-resident or co-worker buys insurance or your last job provided it doesn't mean you necessarily need to buy it also. Of course it makes sense for some people, but you still need to think it through in your own shoes. Doctors have a target the size of Denver on their back for "financial products" peddlers (insurance, attorneys, accountants, etc that play on fear ... and advisors, planners, investment, real estate, brokers etc etc that play on greed).

Financial advice and wisdom and research is not to be confused with a sales pitch. The goal of gaining peace of mind and getting back to near where you were in the event of a disability is noble one, but it comes at a price. There is obviously not an insurance company on Earth that pays out more than they take in by giving good deals. Sure, there is fraud (a LOT with disability), and that gets caught sometimes, gets legit or semi-legit disability claims denied/reduced other times, and it's all rolled into the price also. The math has been done, and they always win.

It is one thing if you get it "free" from the hospital or MSG (and don't have the option of more cash in each paycheck if you decline it), and that might be worth supplementing it. It's quite another if you have to pay for it entirely in owner, PP, etc situation. The coverages are much different as airbud noted, since the income streams are variable for employee vs contractor/entrepreneur. You primarily have to think about if you have dependents, if your spouse/partner is financially competent (to roughly the level you/they live) or not, what your debt and assets look like, what is important to you (balance vs FIRE vs security), etc.

Personally, I choose a couple more shares of GOOG per year in my cash account over carrying life or disability (unless it's "free" from employer) or effectively use that same money to be my 401 match or Roth money, but everyone makes the choice that fits their own situation. It will probably work out fine for me (and nearly everyone), it might not, and nobody can predict the future. I always figure that if I run into some crazy health problem or trauma/accident, then I have much bigger problems than money anyways (and barring death, there's zero guarantee insurance would pay or pay well). It's easy to say that when I don't have kids, don't have any auto/house/etc debt, and have a partner who can easily pay the living and expenses and retire fine on her own at the level we live/travel/etc, though (her retire would just get bumped back a few years if I got very sick or hurt - or mine delayed if she did). Everyone's situ is unique.

Last edited:
The first recommendation is to think about if you need disability (or life, etc insurance) before shop for it. That is a personal choice, and you have to remember the insurance salesman is not an unbiased advisor. They are eyeing a commission and not just your best interests. It is unlikely you can even ask about insurance on WCI without a half dozen PMs and replies wanting to help you help them. Just because your co-resident or co-worker buys insurance or your last job provided it doesn't mean you necessarily need to buy it also. Of course it makes sense for some people, but you still need to think it through in your own shoes. Doctors have a target the size of Denver on their back for "financial products" peddlers (insurance, attorneys, accountants, etc that play on fear ... and advisors, planners, investment, real estate, brokers etc etc that play on greed).

Financial advice and wisdom and research is not to be confused with a sales pitch. The goal of gaining peace of mind and getting back to near where you were in the event of a disability is noble one, but it comes at a price. There is obviously not an insurance company on Earth that pays out more than they take in by giving good deals. Sure, there is fraud (a LOT with disability), and that gets caught sometimes, gets legit or semi-legit disability claims denied/reduced other times, and it's all rolled into the price also. The math has been done, and they always win.

It is one thing if you get it "free" from the hospital or MSG (and don't have the option of more cash in each paycheck if you decline it), and that might be worth supplementing it. It's quite another if you have to pay for it entirely in owner, PP, etc situation. The coverages are much different as airbud noted, since the income streams are variable for employee vs contractor/entrepreneur. You primarily have to think about if you have dependents, if your spouse/partner is financially competent (to roughly the level you/they live) or not, what your debt and assets look like, what is important to you (balance vs FIRE vs security), etc.

Personally, I choose a couple more shares of GOOG per year in my cash account over carrying life or disability (unless it's "free" from employer) or effectively use that same money to be my 401 match or Roth money, but everyone makes the choice that fits their own situation. It will probably work out fine for me (and nearly everyone), it might not, and nobody can predict the future. I always figure that if I run into some crazy health problem or trauma/accident, then I have much bigger problems than money anyways (and barring death, there's zero guarantee insurance would pay or pay well). It's easy to say that when I don't have kids, don't have any auto/house/etc debt, and have a partner who can easily pay the living and expenses and retire fine on her own at the level we live/travel/etc, though (her retire would just get bumped back a few years if I got very sick or hurt - or mine delayed if she did). Everyone's situ is unique.

I have to wholeheartedly agree with Feli - always giving good wisdom. I don't have disability but I instead use that money towards bonds/index funds/couple shares of Apple, Tesla, Google or do a little high risk high reward scenarios. IMO your gains have greater potential than dealing with an insurance that may want to play chicken with you.

I don't have disability but I instead use that money towards bonds/index funds/couple shares of Apple, Tesla, Google or do a little high risk high reward scenarios. IMO your gains have greater potential than dealing with an insurance that may want to play chicken with you.

There are folks without much student debt (or none), and no family (yet) that depend on their income who are probably fine with doing something like this. But putting a few hundred bucks a month into the market will not come close to adequately self insuring against disability.

But yeah, current assets vs liability, lifestyle, dependants, etc. all have an impact on wether or not you should purchase various insurance products. I will say, a majority of new grads should have term life and disability. Student loans aren’t forgiven and very few people could afford to pay off their debts should they become disabled without a disability policy in place. Taxable investment accounts will not come close to covering what most of us have in liabilities for many years. An individual I knew in school was disabled within a few years of finishing residency (and subsequently passed away) but if his wife and kids had to rely on Tesla and Apple shares that had been invested over the previous two years, they would be completely screwed. Self insuring against a potential lifetime of income loss takes a lot of $$$

Reactions: 1 users
This is what I have through Principal:
Semi-Annual Premium $5,056.68
Monthly benefit $15,800.00

If you are looking into disability insurance the following are what you need to pay attention to:
The language of the elimination period, not just the number of days.
The language of the definition of disability, don't read just the brochure, read the policy.
The benefit offsets or compressions.
The ability of the company to change the terms of the policy.
At the end most of these policies for new doctors are only about $20-$25 per month for every $1,000 of monthly benefit, so pretty affordable but make sure you are getting the terms in the policy to match what you are wanting the performance to be at claim time.

Reactions: 3 users
Student loans aren’t forgiven and very few people could afford to pay off their debts should they become disabled without a disability policy in place.
Splitting hairs but student loans can be discharged if you are considered disabled and receive SSDI or SSI benefits. This was a Trump administration policy that was implemented.

If you are looking into disability insurance the following are what you need to pay attention to:
The language of the elimination period, not just the number of days.
The language of the definition of disability, don't read just the brochure, read the policy.
The benefit offsets or compressions.
The ability of the company to change the terms of the policy.
At the end most of these policies for new doctors are only about $20-$25 per month for every $1,000 of monthly benefit, so pretty affordable but make sure you are getting the terms in the policy to match what you are wanting the performance to be at claim time.

So I'm paying $5k every 6 months for a $15.8k monthly benefit. Sounds like I might be getting bamboozled here. What say you?

Interesting thread. Figured disability insurance was out of reach but looks like its more doable than I thought. Everyone will have to do what is in their own interest - I'll say the strange thing - I would likely buy a much smaller policy than almost any listed here. There's obviously plenty of arguments against that ie. inflation, if you need it you'll wish you bought more, etc, but everyone will have to take into account their own situation and needs.