diphtheria toxin/toxoid vaccine: why IgG response and not IgM response?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doraxplorer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm confused about this from an explanation in Uworld. Giving the diphtheria toxoid vaccine elicits IgG antibodies against the toxin, giving immunity. Why is the response not IgM? Is it because only bacteria, and not toxins, can be opsonized via IgM? According to some sources IgM also opsonizes toxins. Confused! Does anyone get the difference? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm confused about this from an explanation in Uworld. Giving the diphtheria toxoid vaccine elicits IgG antibodies against the toxin, giving immunity. Why is the response not IgM? Is it because only bacteria, and not toxins, can be opsonized via IgM? According to some sources IgM also opsonizes toxins. Confused! Does anyone get the difference? Thanks!
IgM is made first but the IgG is what gives lasting immunity. This happens when the antigen in the vaccine is a protein, like diphtheria toxin, and you get a thymus dependent response. CD4+ T cells stimulate B cell class switching to IgG.

This is opposed to a capsular polysaccharide antigen like the pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine that is thymus independent. The B cells can't undergo class switching because the antigen isn't a protein so only IgM is produced and the immunity is short lived.

Reactions: 2 users
IgM is made first but the IgG is what gives lasting immunity. This happens when the antigen in the vaccine is a protein, like diphtheria toxin, and you get a thymus dependent response. CD4+ T cells stimulate B cell class switching to IgG.

This is opposed to a capsular polysaccharide antigen like the pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine that is thymus independent. The B cells can't undergo class switching because the antigen isn't a protein so only IgM is produced and the immunity is short lived.

Makes sense, thanks!

I feel like I'm very weak in immunology. Should I read the Kaplan notes or the Goljan immuno chapter? What is a quick resource for background immune? I don't think FA is enough, it's only a few pages...

I haven't looked at either Kaplan or Goljan immuno. I just used my class PowerPoints along with FA.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
kaplan immunos great, and all you need + fa and questions. The reason why you get a igG is because to get igG you need to class switch, which requires cd4+ helper t cells to get involved, and for them to get involved their t cell receptors have to be activated to be able to secrete il's to class switch, and the only way you can active the t cell recptors is with peptides/proteins, sugars ie polysachharides arent recognized, and thus only b cells make igM secreting plasma cells, but when you have activation of the T cell, the b cells will class switch to start making plasma cells that can make igG.

Reactions: 1 user

STAGES of B CELL DEVELOPMENT goes like this!

You got three stages!!! On the boards, they’ll describe it and you have to pick which stage!!! In the pre-B cell all you see is Mu change. Mu as in IgM within the cytoplasm! IN THE PRE-B cell ALL you see is MU CHANGE in the cytoplasm!!!

In the IMMATURE B CELL, you See some of that IgM on the SURFACE, which tells you that the first antibody secreted by every BCELL is IgM. That means when a a baby is born….which Ab is he going to secrete first?? ANS: IgM!!!

Does everybody (now) realize that why an ELIZA test that tests for IgG is WORTHLESS in a ababy! Just so you don’t just memorize that!!! The baby doesn’t even make IgG when he is born, so why even do an ELIZA TEST that checks for IgG!!

Oh...when it is a MATURE B cell, IgM and IgD is on the surface...think MD

THE PRIMARY RESPONSE?? THAT MEANS THE FIRST TIME THAT YOU COME INTO CONTACT WITH AN ANTIGEN!!! The first antibody is gonna be which one?? ANS: IgM!!!

So tell me, if IgM doesn’t show up in 3 days, who the heck is protecting me for three days???? This is in anybody..just know and tell me who protects me for 3 days if IgM doesn’t show up until DAY 3. ANS: the neutrophils!

Who protects me in the first three days…its gotta name: it’s the NEUTROPHILS!!
(REMEMBR) that it (the neuts) show up at 24 hrs and peak at day 3!!!

Reactions: 1 users
STAGES of B CELL DEVELOPMENT goes like this!

You got three stages!!! On the boards, they’ll describe it and you have to pick which stage!!! In the pre-B cell all you see is Mu change. Mu as in IgM within the cytoplasm! IN THE PRE-B cell ALL you see is MU CHANGE in the cytoplasm!!!

In the IMMATURE B CELL, you See some of that IgM on the SURFACE, which tells you that the first antibody secreted by every BCELL is IgM. That means when a a baby is born….which Ab is he going to secrete first?? ANS: IgM!!!

Does everybody (now) realize that why an ELIZA test that tests for IgG is WORTHLESS in a ababy! Just so you don’t just memorize that!!! The baby doesn’t even make IgG when he is born, so why even do an ELIZA TEST that checks for IgG!!

Oh...when it is a MATURE B cell, IgM and IgD is on the surface...think MD

THE PRIMARY RESPONSE?? THAT MEANS THE FIRST TIME THAT YOU COME INTO CONTACT WITH AN ANTIGEN!!! The first antibody is gonna be which one?? ANS: IgM!!!

So tell me, if IgM doesn’t show up in 3 days, who the heck is protecting me for three days???? This is in anybody..just know and tell me who protects me for 3 days if IgM doesn’t show up until DAY 3. ANS: the neutrophils!

Who protects me in the first three days…its gotta name: it’s the NEUTROPHILS!!
(REMEMBR) that it (the neuts) show up at 24 hrs and peak at day 3!!!
I couldn't help but read that in Goljan's voice haha

Reactions: 1 users
Dont forget about your ADP Ribosylators. ;)

The Diptheria toxin creates havoc and makes nasty pseudomembranes (cause of tracheitis...just a ton of dead cells and mucus...and DONT SCRAPE IT EVER!!! tons of vascularity here! if you do, that kiddo will hemmorhage to death!)...yah!

Also, Protein synthesis stops in the cell...how? oh yeah...its stops the elongation factor...the NUMBER 2 one...EF-2 stopped! Just like its best friend Pseudomonas.

Hey...How did that Diptheria gets its toxin? Because there are tons of strains....We are talking about the A-B toxin strain. ANS: TRANSDUCTION! a virus that was mediated by a phage.

Doraxplorer...this is for you. thank you for the flattering words. Best to all.