DILEMNA, stay at UM or find better option

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDYNASTY87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sophmore at the University of Miami, healthsciene pre-med major. I thought I was doing the right thing by coming to the University of Miami, for obvious reasons, the pre-med program was great and the school was ranked highly. However, I am borrowing a lot of money to attend. Thusfar, I've encurred $50,000 in student loans, and have two more years until graduation.

I have plans of attending medical school, so I'm starting to think that attending UM wasn't a great choice after all. I'm a first generation college student, who had little advising as to what route to take.

Currently,I am considering transferring to the University of Central
Florida for several reasons, cost primarily, closeness to home.

I have to be honest, I would be so proud to say that I am graduate of UM. My parents didn't attend college, and getting into a topped ranked school was one of the greatest mildstones in my life. However knowing I am going to be in so much debt constanly plagues me.

There are so many factors to consider, and I'm totally lost. If you could offer some advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

$50,000 for just your first two years of undergrad seems very excessive. Grants and need-based scholarships should have covered some of the bases... Anyhow.

I doubt that transferring to another school would hurt you as an applicant as long as you do well in your classes and perform well on the MCAT. Transferring from a big name University to another one without the same rep. might lead to a question by adcom's on why you made such decision. Nevertheless, as long as you explain your reasons, which are viable and understandable, there should be no problems. I am still perplexed by the $50,000 so far!

At that rate, you would end up accruing ~$50,000 more for your next two years! Although some may disagree, a premed degree is not worth ~$100,000. If I were you, I would transfer. Focus on the basics:

1. grades,
2. MCAT,
3. extracurriculars

and you can become a fine applicant regardless of the transition you made. Is the money the real issue behind your desire to transfer?

$50,000 for just your first two years of undergrad seems very excessive. Grants and need-based scholarships should have covered some of the bases... Anyhow.

I doubt that transferring to another school would hurt you as an applicant as long as you do well in your classes and perform well on the MCAT. Transferring from a big name University to another one without the same rep. might lead to a question by adcom's on why you made such decision. Nevertheless, as long as you explain your reasons, which are viable and understandable, there should be no problems. I am still perplexed by the $50,000 so far!

At that rate, you would end up accruing ~$50,000 more for your next two years! Although some may disagree, a premed degree is not worth ~$100,000. If I were you, I would transfer. Focus on the basics:

1. grades,
2. MCAT,
3. extracurriculars

and you can become a fine applicant regardless of the transition you made. Is the money the real issue behind your desire to transfer?

Univeristy of Miami is a private school, so actually there's a good bit of aid that must have gone into that (seeing as private schools are about $40,000/yr). I don't think that schools are going to see a huge difference between University of Miami and University of Central Florida, and that amount of loans must be stressful. Good luck!

I am sophmore at the University of Miami, healthsciene pre-med major. I thought I was doing the right thing by coming to the University of Miami, for obvious reasons, the pre-med program was great and the school was ranked highly. However, I am borrowing a lot of money to attend. Thusfar, I've encurred $50,000 in student loans, and have two more years until graduation.

I have plans of attending medical school, so I'm starting to think that attending UM wasn't a great choice after all. I'm a first generation college student, who had little advising as to what route to take.

Currently,I am considering transferring to the University of Central
Florida for several reasons, cost primarily, closeness to home.

I have to be honest, I would be so proud to say that I am graduate of UM. My parents didn't attend college, and getting into a topped ranked school was one of the greatest mildstones in my life. However knowing I am going to be in so much debt constanly plagues me.

There are so many factors to consider, and I'm totally lost. If you could offer some advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

U.F. and FSU are two great schools with reputable medical schools (mostly U.F). so transferring to either of them would be a great choice. i prefer U.F. because of the history of their medical schools over FSU's.
sophomore with a 50g loan? understandable when considering that it cost about 50,000/yr. so you were able to obtain financial aid for 1/2. but like the other poster stated, $100,000 for an undergrad deg is kind of excessive.
personally, it would be hard for me to transfer because U.M. is a GREAT school. so good luck. you will know what to do when the time comes.:)