3.28 cGPA (4.0 last two years) -- Medical School Options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

congomes12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I estimate that by the time I finish my undergrad at my top 10 university, I will have about a 3.28 cGPA. I was wondering, given that my last two years were straight 4.0, what my options for medical schools would be?

I had heard that some schools only look at your last two years under some circumstances and for me I was struggling with a very bad case of Depression so I am not sure whether or not this excuse can be used.

Also, is there anything I should/could do to strengthen my application? I have gotten a few research jobs here and there, have volunteered at hospitals, have been involved in a few student organizations on campus, have attended a few conferences and have worked some retail jobs but have not won any scholarships or grants due to my low cGPA.

Members don't see this ad.

The vast majority of school will look at your cGPA and sGPA for all of your college semesters. Is your sGPA higher? If it's equal or higher you may be ok if you get a decent MCAT. An upward trend in grades is always helpful, so that's good.

N=1 but I had a similar gpa with a rising trend and was accepted md this cycle. Really depends on your mcat. Also any retakes included in this? Also your sgpa needs be over 3.0.

Members don't see this ad :)
The vast majority of school will look at your cGPA and sGPA for all of your college semesters. Is your sGPA higher? If it's equal or higher you may be ok if you get a decent MCAT. An upward trend in grades is always helpful, so that's good.

My sGPA would be lower at 3.04. This is because of the fact that most of my courses have been in science (I am in the life sciences program of study) except for my first two years in which I took some elective courses that were pretty much the definition of 'bird courses' and so did a little better without any work. For the last two years, my science courses have also shown a 4.0 GPA.

N=1 but I had a similar gpa with a rising trend and was accepted md this cycle. Really depends on your mcat. Also any retakes included in this? Also your sgpa needs be over 3.0.

Im happy to hear that it is still possible! I took re-took Calculus 1a in my first year of studies. I was previously thinking that it would be quite unlikely for me to be competitive or receive any acceptances unless my GPA was in the range of 3.7+. How did you combat this?