dilemma: getting reimbursed for a residency interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RTW

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice about what I should do about a dilemma I'm facing? I did a second look at a residency program, for which the program told me I'd be reimbursed. I submitted all my receipts right afterwards, but have yet to receive any money. The problem is, I'm reluctant to contact the program, because for a number of reasons, I'm pretty sure that I would have matched at the program had I ranked it higher. It's a good amount of money that I'm talking about -- at least several hundred dollars -- but I feel awkward asking the program for money when they almost definitely know that I ranked another program ahead of them (and when I might want to do a fellowship there later). If you were in my shoes, would you contact them or not?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd go ahead and contact them. They understand that you're a poor resident and don't ahve many to be throwing around. If they said that they'd reimburse you, the will. To prevent burning any bridges, just be hella polite about asking for it.

Don't worry about them hating you because you didn't rank them high. They probably got a great class that they're happy with.

Since the program told you that you would be reimbursed, go ahead and contact them. Reimbursement sometimes takes awhile and it may just be that they are in the process of cutting you a check. If not, you can find out the reason for the delay. If you are feeling uncomfortable, remember that you don't have to talk to the program director. Touch base with the administrative assistant or other contact person. As for fellowships in the future at that institution, the people involved in the fellowship selection process will probably be different than the ones you have encountered during the residency application process. I think the chances that it will affect you are fairly low.

Good luck!

Samir Desai