Difficulty in Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Therese737 said:
I know of a couple of people who were attending a DO school in the USA, and they both decided to transfer to AUC after a year! And both said the education was much better, and the curriculum at AUC is modeled after Baylor's College of Medicine, which ironically, is in TX.

I was considering the DO route, but something about it just bothers me. After 10 years of edcation to become a physician, I really don't feel like having to explain to people all the time "What's a D.O.?" And although I like their holistic philosophy, that OMT stuff can go-no thanks.

I personally feel one of the reasons IMGs face discrminiation in the USA is because of the USA's arrogance, always thinking that if it isn't American, then it's not good. I bet if there were med schools in the virgin islands or another US territory, it wouldn't be discrminated against, b/c "its US property".But US property or not, the Virgin Islands is still caribbean, in my eyes.

At AZCOM, we had a few students who were failing in the first quarter. They were advised to either defer a year or withdraw. The school didn't want to see them fail but these students didn't want to have to defer a year. They went to AUC and Ross in January. Do you really think these students are going to admit they were failing?

Patients do not ask about the DO. And the only ones who are concerned are the ones who call to see which physician is board certified. If a DO is board certified, these patients could care less. Also, what about having to explain to your colleauges and nurses where you went to medical school. I would hate to always have to justify that I attended what they consider a diploma mill in Ross and AUC.

Members don't see this ad.

azcomdiddy said:
At AZCOM, we had a few students who were failing in the first quarter. They were advised to either defer a year or withdraw. The school didn't want to see them fail but these students didn't want to have to defer a year. They went to AUC and Ross in January. Do you really think these students are going to admit they were failing?

Patients do not ask about the DO. And the only ones who are concerned are the ones who call to see which physician is board certified. If a DO is board certified, these patients could care less. Also, what about having to explain to your colleauges and nurses where you went to medical school. I would hate to always have to justify that I attended what they consider a diploma mill in Ross and AUC.

Some people like to act like attending a Caribbean medical school is the equivalent of having a big scarlett letter on your chest for everyone to see. Instead of saying "A," it will say AUC, Saba, Ross, SGU, ect by your credentials.

Not so.

I've been slaving my tail off in the business world for 5 years now. The one thing that I have learned is hard work is what determines respect.. bottom line... When you become a doctor, your first concern should be for your patients. They are the people that pay you.

Work hard... Be the best that you can be.... The rest will take care of itself.

azcomdiddy said:
........ I would hate to always have to justify that I attended what they consider a diploma mill in Ross and AUC.

So Ross, AUC, and St. George's are Diploma Mills? :laugh: , no I am :mad: , but still :laugh:

If Ross is a "mill", why don't they just give me the MD now. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
i am sure gonna miss LUCK. since he is banned right now, im sure a brand new luck will arise in the form of another user name. talk about a very close minded individual. i would love to see him go up against a close minder US MD. anyway, lets give a thanks to him while he is worshiping Andrew Still and the rest of the DO Gods.

come on luck.... do that rain dance on the IMG!!!!! :thumbdown:

Therese737 said:
I personally feel one of the reasons IMGs face discrminiation in the USA is because of the USA's arrogance, always thinking that if it isn't American, then it's not good. I bet if there were med schools in the virgin islands or another US territory, it wouldn't be discrminated against, b/c "its US property".But US property or not, the Virgin Islands is still caribbean, in my eyes.

Those schools already exist, in Puerto Rico.