difficulty admissions into top tier consulting from low tier md

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surag

kobayashi
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering...whats the difficulty like for a consulting gig if you did your med school at a low tier program? Suppose I do well, AOA etc. and place in a top 5 residency spot for neurology do research(im planning on 5 years of med school with 1 year dedicated rsrch-NIH, HHMI, DD etc. and then doing research for a few more years at a good program/practicing neurology. how difficult would it be to get a gig with mckinsey or boston etc?

All I ever see about people working htere are students who graduated from harvard med, columbia med etc. would i need to get an MBA to show I can handle it? Can I go into it straight up? Just wondering what a career path down this road is like.

i read about dr. glassman in the nytimes a few years ago 2006? And I've been enthralled with this career choice since. Just to let you know, I went to a mid tier research school for undergrad-ranked between 20-30(if rankings are important). Now Im planning to head into a state school(unranked) for med school.

Members don't see this ad.

The best way to answer this question is to speak directly with either a hiring manager or HR professional who works at McKinsey. If you are interested, I may be able to arrange that for you.

The best way to answer this question is to speak directly with either a hiring manager or HR professional who works at McKinsey. If you are interested, I may be able to arrange that for you.

I am interested. but somethings of note-I am not yet in medical school-premedicine so I'm not sure how much interest said HR might be in my questions but I would be greatful for any answers if possible!

Please let me know what I can do next to get more information. Thanks!!