Differences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Homo sapien

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between being Board Certified and Board Qualified?

Members don't see this ad.

What is the difference between being Board Certified and Board Qualified?

I will use the ABPS as an example. If you complete an approved residency, you can sit for the board qualification written exam. You then have a window of X amount of years to become board certified. The board certification process with the ABPS includes submitting 75 surgical cases you've performed, with requirements in various procedure categories and with significant diversity. It's a tedious process that requires a lot of paperwork amd documentation, often including notes, pre and post op X-rays, etc. IF your cases are accepted, you then must pass a written and oral exam. If you pass both portions, you obtain certification.

The process has changed over the years. In the "old" days, everyone had to take the written test at a hotel in Chicago, and take the oral exam at the same facility over 2 days. So the exam was a 3 day process in Chicago.

Now it is computerized, including some of the "oral" exam questions. Regardless, it's a difficult but fair process.

But I meant what is the difference. Example, if a doctor is Board Certified but not Qualified, does that mean they can't do the surgeries by themselves?

I want to ask another question. When you went for these certifications/qualifications, were you scared that you would forget something, or freeze when asked a question? How did you overcome it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You must be board qualified just to be allowed to continue the process towards Board Certification. You can't be certified and not qualified. And generally being qualified is all you need after residency to get privileges in your first practice/job.

I don't know how anyone can better answer your first question in that last post without just re-wording what PADPM said. He laid it out as simply and neatly as possible...

But I meant what is the difference. Example, if a doctor is Board Certified but not Qualified, does that mean they can't do the surgeries by themselves?

I want to ask another question. When you went for these certifications/qualifications, were you scared that you would forget something, or freeze when asked a question? How did you overcome it.

Did you read my first response?????? Board certification occurs AFTER board qualification. So your first question in your recent post simply makes no sense.

I will presume you MEANT to say ask if a doctor is board qualified, but not yet certified, can he work without supervision in the OR. The answer is yes. I've been on staff at many hospitals, and whether you are qualified or certified has nothing to do with being "supervised".

Many hospitals now require qualification to obtain privileges and require that a doctor obtain certification within a given time period, such as 5 years.

Additionally, some hospitals require a probationary period for ALL doctors new on staff. That period may require observation (not supervision) during X number of cases to assure skills are up to par.

There seems to be this urban legend that as DPMs we are always requiring some form of "supervision" which is simply false. Every new associate we've hired has simply walked into the hospital and treated patients as he/she believes is appropriate, medically and surgically.

We have the respect of all departments at our hospital and we are called regularly by vascular surgery, infectious disease, medicine, etc., for OUR opinion on cases. They don't supervise us, they consult us.

Don't think like a second class citizen and you won't be treated like one.

Addendum: As a PRE podiatry student, I believe that worrying about board qualification/certification should not be a concern at this time. You've got at least 7 years ahead of you prior to being in that situation.

I will presume you MEANT to say ask if a doctor is board qualified, but not yet certified, can he work without supervision in the OR

That was what I meant, sorry for the confusion.

I wasn't worried about it, I was just reading and noticed it so I wanted to ask.