Did you PAY for SketchyMicro/Pharm? lol

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Did you pay?

• Yes

Votes: 122 47.3%
  • No, that's like $300 that I don't have

Votes: 136 52.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, and much like any ethical issue - it's not black and white for other reasons too. To me, "stealing" a pdf copy of a textbook instead of buying it from Pearson is NOT remotely equal to "stealing" Pathoma from Dr. Sattar. Context is important - even if by the letter of the law there is no difference. F#*& Pearson from start to finish, and I have no qualms about it, especially when they go out of their way to exploit students, teachers, and basically everyone involved.
*fist bumb* This is exactly my point.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m not sure why your other post deleted......but I am familiar with kohlberg
Yeah the link to image wouldn't post. Anyways, point being that moral absolutism (or legalism) would be somewhere in the middle of the moral development process (if you subscribe to that paradigm)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah the link to image wouldn't post. Anyways, point being that moral absolutism (or legalism) would be somewhere in the middle of the moral development process (if you subscribe to that paradigm)
I don’t subscribe

ugh, dude I'm trying. I feel like I've hit a wall. I can rep out 225 for 10 reps but my max is stagnant
Yeah man--pre med school I was at 295--so close to the 315 dream. But Ive been doing a lot more HIIT and olympic lifts now--so its a trade-off. Just trying to prioritize health. Don't have time to be in the gym 3 hrs at a time haha

Reactions: 1 user
There are a lot of dinguses in medicine. The tip of your iceberg is learning resource theft?

Not the tip, but certainly part of the iceberg of a-hole moves.

Is "micro made ridiculously simple" still a thing? That book was so stupid... but helped make micro my best subsection of step 1.

Yep, I think they're on the sixth edition. It is really dumb, but after having to learn 10 chapters of Big Robbins without lectures in 5-6 weeks for the previous section, reading that in 3-4 weeks was basically pleasure reading.

I'm going to say it nice and slow here:
Sketchy (micro+pharm), Pathoma, and B&B have earned every god damn cent they charge for their services. I've learned more from them than I have with my 50k+ tuition/year.

Reactions: 6 users
ya I paid but some of my classmates shared accounts and split the cost

Yeah man--pre med school I was at 295--so close to the 315 dream. But Ive been doing a lot more HIIT and olympic lifts now--so its a trade-off. Just trying to prioritize health. Don't have time to be in the gym 3 hrs at a time haha
Dude I know haha, It's tough to make time for it but I've been chasing 315 for so long, I can't give up now :confused:

I used them for the first half of MS2 and then paid for them. They deserve every penny.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn’t but if I had the funds I would. I intend to bc they are pretty nice. I fully intend to buy them for another poor med student one day when I’m able.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone have a promo code available?

I paid for BnB, Pathoma and will pay for Sketchy Micro this summer. They're all excellent resources and should be supported and the authors deserve all the money they get. BnB and Pathoma are very reasonably priced. Sketchy is a bit expensive, so I'm only buying the micro part, which is their best.

My school gave a discount for Sketchy and Pathoma. It was worth it.

Pathoma yes. I hated sketchy micro. I actually watched bootleg pathoma videos first, and then I paid for it because of how good I thought it was.

I use a friend of a friend's account. It is not very helpful for pharmacology and I cannot imagine why anyone would spend $300 on it. It is hard enough trying to memorize hundreds of drugs for each exam without trying to recall a clever story to go with it.
I’d get it again just for the H2 blocker, metronidazole metro, anticoagulation sketches. The thrombeaver and Xa fox and agatrabran gator helped me a bunch for heme questions.

I bought my own accounts for pathoma and sketchy, and ended up sharing as well to access an extra feature. I have to buy sketchy again, so I’ll be paying full price.

We have loans for these types of necessities. I don’t see why you wouldn’t pay for these small companies’ creative works. Starting a business from scratch and keeping it afloat just as difficult as med school, only you don’t have any insurance policy to keep from
going bankrupt if people don’t buy your product. Don’t y’all care about the people who work for Sketchy and Pathoma?

Pathoma is so good. Undiluted, easily digestible, high yield knowledge. He deserves every cent.

It's a 60:40 vote but the vast majority of commenters have been in support of paying full price. Interesting. :thinking:
It just means that of the 40% who didn't pay for it the vast majority at least realize what they're doing is wrong and that there's no great justification for their actions. They're not defending their actions, they're just doing what they're doing.

I love Pathoma. I can't get into Sketchy. That style of learning did not work for me. And yes, I paid for both.

I wonder how many of the world's 100 most powerful people would have paid if they were in our shoes. The dilemma as far as I'm concerned is this:

Money aside, do you want to do the "right thing" more than you want to avoid being a relative chump? If Mark Zuckerberg had a conscience he'd currently be worth less than his dentist father, instead he's a billionaire 80 times over and wields ridiculous societal fame and power. All that he has gained hinged on a binary decision he made to cheat the Winklevoss twins of their idea. You could fit millions of companies like Sketchy and Pathoma into what Zuckerberg stole from his classmates, but would anyone really argue that Zuckerberg made the "wrong" decision? I'm not even going to mention what goes into gaining and keeping power in places like China, Africa, etc because this is a PG rated board after all lol.

What does that have to do with this thread? Well, if you want to live your life according to morality, you're basically saying to yourself "I'm knowingly taking myself out of the Power game and ceding this territory to people willing to be more unscrupulous than myself, thus consciously placing myself under them." Paying or not paying for sketchy is a trivial decision point, but it's not like most people flip a switch depending on the scenario. It's a proxy for whether your guiding light in life is Morality or Nietzsche's "Will to Power." It's possibly a proxy for who will be chilling in a yacht collecting passive income 15 years after med school graduation and who will be pulling night shifts on an hourly basis making a living the hard way.

This post went needlessly deep and I'm not advocating for either approach. I'm just burned out of Step studying for the day lol.

@Healer@1994 Your poll may be skewed. You need to differentiate between people who didn't use it and didnt pay for it from people who did use it and didn't pay for it.

yes because i believe people should be paid for their work plus it's a good product and worth it..

Reactions: 2 users
@Healer@1994 Your poll may be skewed. You need to differentiate between people who didn't use it and didnt pay for it from people who did use it and didn't pay for it.
thats assuming there is someone out there not using it...that is inconceivable lawl

If you are a visual learner, Sketchy is a must. At least, if your professors are anything like mine. All I get in Path and Micro is 100+ slide powerpoints every single day with paragraph after paragraph, rarely pictures. I NEED PICTURES. Again, if you're anything like me, Sketchy will literally carry you through medical school. At least the tough stuff like Path, Micro, Pharm, and now even biochem. Plus they have clinical sketches too! And do pay for it, we're going into hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt under bad professors, stealing the peoples' resources that help you the most is wrong😬 it is a VERY small investment with a huge return. But if you learn by words or flashcards, it may not be for you. You'll like Pathoma a lot better. You'll know if you like Sketchy after 1 or 2 trial videos. Always check the resource out first.👍

Status
Not open for further replies.