did you always want to go into urology??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gooze

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wondering how many of you who have applied/matched or are going to apply for urology always wanted to do urology?? if not, what other fields did you seriously consider and what made you decide urology in the end? just interesting to see what other fields are considered...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm planning on applying to it next year. I had considered anesthesia very early on (high school). Became interested in colorectal surgery early in college. I debated ENT for a short while before really becoming interested in urology and colorectal. For a short period third year I thought about interventional radiology, but now it's urology for me.

I'm planning on applying to it next year. I had considered anesthesia very early on (high school). Became interested in colorectal surgery early in college. I debated ENT for a short while before really becoming interested in urology and colorectal. For a short period third year I thought about interventional radiology, but now it's urology for me.

I find that really interesting, because i often ponder how urology and ENT are quite similar but in different areas of the body (good remuneration, short procedures with option for more complex, medicine + surgery etc) what finally ruled out ENT for you?

Members don't see this ad :)
I find that really interesting, because i often ponder how urology and ENT are quite similar but in different areas of the body (good remuneration, short procedures with option for more complex, medicine + surgery etc) what finally ruled out ENT for you?
I don't like bones and I always found head & neck anatomy incredibly difficult.

I have been in practice for 15 years. This is a fantastic field for many reasons. Diversity: see male & female patients, newborn to elderly, pregnant, mentally challenged, spinal cord injury, etc. The anatomy is fairly straightforward compared to neuro or ENT. There is little monotony: office practice, outpatient surgery, lithotripsy, major open or robotic surgery, lasers, microsurgery. You are all over the place, but always focused on the urinary tract. Fascinating imaging (X-rays). Need to deal with bowel in surgery only sporadically, but it is part of the job description. Hours of practice are favorable-you are rarely (never) up all nite, unlike general surgeons, orthopods, ER, etc. Training is tolerable, 5 or 6 year residency programs, but some w/2 yrs general surgery. Look for programs that allow call from home in the final 2-3 years. Most of all, many patients come with a surgically correctable problem (cancer or stone), and post treatment they heal and do very well. Curing patients of disease was always important for me, unlike so many non-surgical specialties. Urology is one of the best kept secrets of medical specialties, but you do need competitive grades and scores and recommendations.

I have been in practice for 15 years. This is a fantastic field for many reasons. Diversity: see male & female patients, newborn to elderly, pregnant, mentally challenged, spinal cord injury, etc. The anatomy is fairly straightforward compared to neuro or ENT. There is little monotony: office practice, outpatient surgery, lithotripsy, major open or robotic surgery, lasers, microsurgery. You are all over the place, but always focused on the urinary tract. Fascinating imaging (X-rays). Need to deal with bowel in surgery only sporadically, but it is part of the job description. Hours of practice are favorable-you are rarely (never) up all nite, unlike general surgeons, orthopods, ER, etc. Training is tolerable, 5 or 6 year residency programs, but some w/2 yrs general surgery. Look for programs that allow call from home in the final 2-3 years. Most of all, many patients come with a surgically correctable problem (cancer or stone), and post treatment they heal and do very well. Curing patients of disease was always important for me, unlike so many non-surgical specialties. Urology is one of the best kept secrets of medical specialties, but you do need competitive grades and scores and recommendations.
to rologist above, as an attending in the field for many years, where do you see the future of urology headed? supply/demand issues? changes in practice? esp. given the new recommendation that psa testing no longer be done. just wanted to get your opinion and anyone else's for that matter. thanks.

Gut feeling - urology will continue to grow as the population ages. The PSA test is going nowhere. Doctors will continue to screen and men will continue to have their prostates removed so long as an insurance company pays for it.

Demand will go up, supply is going down. More urologists are retiring than are graduating. In big cities there will be lots of competition. In small cities 50k or less, there will be a demand.

Payments are the big unknown. Nobody knows how reimbursement will shake out in the future.

Same here for the most part. Deciding between ENT and urology. Decision yet unmade.

for me, my third year rotations shaped my preferences the most. going into rotations, i was considering gensurg, ortho, ent, urology, probably in that order as i knew the least about urology. i absolutely loved my 4 weeks on colorectal and worked with an amazing staff and chief resident. had a sub-par experience on ortho and ent. had urology elective last - RPLND on my 2nd day, plus some of the coolest people to work with and some of the best jokes and i realized it was the perfect match.

matched urology and i could not be happier. now, just enjoying being a ms4.