Did I submit AMCAS too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hello311

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm an MD/PhD applicant for the current cycle and I just submitted my AMCAS. Seeing everyone working on secondaries has gotten me a little nervous; did I submit my AMCAS late in such a way that my application will be hindered?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The great majority of MD/PhD program start their formal reviews until the faculty is done with summer lab activities/vacations. This is beginning of August. Secondaries might be offered automatically after certain cut-offs or to all applicants with minimal administrative review. Right now about 2/3 of my applicants are still unverified. It takes about 4-6 weeks at the peak submission season for AMCAS verification.

Late applicants are those submitting in September, which might end up being reviewed until October... Strong applicants can submit until very late (October/Nov), but their chances to score interviews diminish. Relax... as long as you apply in July, you still are considered part of the early batch.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Fencer, I was just wondering when you think is the latest for a decent candidate. Do you think end of July/early August is too late? I am juggling a lot right now. I feel a bit overwhelmed, haha.

No, it isn't... AMCAS takes 4-6 weeks in verification, which also depends on when transcripts are received by them. LORs are important for the application review, and some programs won't extend invitations to interview unless a minimum number of letters have been received. Responding to secondary requests is also important. In the past, others have started a thread on questions for secondaries allowing to get a head start for some.

There are several quality MD/PhD programs with no secondary ($) applications. A list should also be developed...