Did anyone here apply to MD programs as well as MD/PhD programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superdevil

planning my escape
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i was in the MCAT forum pondering what my score may be come june and i got to thinking (its rare, but it happens :D ). if my score is such that i may not be competitive at higher-ranked dual degree programs (or the NIH MSTPs in general), i may be forced to consider applying to non-MSTP MD/PhD programs, while applying MD-only at the more competitive schools (with the possible option of applying MSTP after MSI etc.) to ensure the best chance for success.

if i had to apply to some MD/PhD and some MD, it seems like that would be a sizable pain in the ass, as the secondaries/interview processes would likely be *much* different and cause me to have to conjure up many alternate "plans" for applying to different types of programs or just different schools with slightly different aims (you know, talking up the research angle at a dual degree interview while emphasizing medicine at MD interviews).

has anyone here gone through this process applying to *both* MD/PhD programs as well as MD-only? if so, did you find the ordeal to be especially trying, or was it really not that bad (relatively speaking, of course--i'm sure it was still difficult)?

any advice would help, as the MD/PhD route in general isn't very popular at my school and i don't know anyone who has done what i'm considering. thanks!

sd

Members don't see this ad.

it's faulty to assume applying md-only to top programs is any "easier" than md/phd...

that said, i'm sure there are people here who have, and sometimes you get md-only offers even when you didn't ask for them.

Worry about this come June if your MCAT is less than 34. I have my share of thoughts about this, but I don't want to spend a half hour writing them down if this doesn't end up being an issue for you. Everyone gets nervous about their MCAT scores, push those thoughts aside until you get them back. You'll have time to decide what you want to do.

BTW, I think it is better in general to apply MD/PhD only if you have a good shot at it. You'll still probably end up with MD acceptances anyways.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think the MCAT score is everything (of course not). And you shouldn't let it be the sole factor that stops you from applying to some top tier MSTPs.
I know someone who had a 31 on MCAT and was accepted to UT Southwestern and a bunch of other MSTPs. So, if you don't try, how would you know? :luck:

I applied to both programs and it was not really a big deal. In few cases, I was too lazy to fill out an entirely new MSTP application that simply asked the same questions as AMCAS. In some cases, I applied to the MSTP but was instead relegated to the MD applicant pool.

With competitive schools applying to both MSTPs and MD programs is not a big problem, but with state schools it can be. By way of example, I was rejected (!!) by both my state medical schools presumably because they did not want a lab rat. However, I was accpted at MST/MD programs at top 25 schools.

superdevil said:
so i was in the MCAT forum pondering what my score may be come june and i got to thinking (its rare, but it happens :D ). if my score is such that i may not be competitive at higher-ranked dual degree programs (or the NIH MSTPs in general), i may be forced to consider applying to non-MSTP MD/PhD programs, while applying MD-only at the more competitive schools (with the possible option of applying MSTP after MSI etc.) to ensure the best chance for success.

my advice is to apply only to one or the other. i applied mixed and was told point blank that it hurt me going both ways: MD programs thought i would not accept a space with them bc i wanted mstp, mstp programs saw it as a lack of commitment

it's faulty to assume applying md-only to top programs is any "easier" than md/phd...
of course, i don't necessarily think it is "easier," this is just what i've gathered about slight-->moderate differences in the *stats* of accepted students in MSTPs vs. MD-only spots. my entire post was pretty much speaking from a statistical viewpoint (MCAT), but i do realize that's "not the whole picture." is it faulty to assume that the MSTP applicant pool is more competitive statistically than the straight-MD applicant pool (or even overall, for that matter)? guess there's only one way to find out...

my advice is to apply only to one or the other. i applied mixed and was told point blank that it hurt me going both ways: MD programs thought i would not accept a space with them bc i wanted mstp, mstp programs saw it as a lack of commitment
told point blank by an adcom member? if so, that really sucks. i would certainly like to avoid the situation you described (btw, how did it turn out?).

like neuronix said, i guess i shouldn't worry about it now (though that's easier said than done--you remember what it was like to be a pre-med! ;) ).

thanks everybody, and keep adding if you have anything else to say.
sd

mw2007 said:

I've heard this from adcoms as well... A frequently asked question of me when I interviewed for MD/PhD was "Did you only apply MD/PhD?" You know what they're getting at, but I asked once and was told what mw2007 said.

told point blank by an adcom member? if so, that really sucks. i would certainly like to avoid the situation you described (btw, how did it turn out?).

i was told that by a program director who did actually accept me, but i declined them later for various reasons. it did, however affect my standing at other schools i am certain (esp with some MD programs who had directors who are particularly anti mstp), and i wouldn't want someone else to make that mistake and have to have waste interview time having that discussion.

mw2007 said:
superdevil said:

wow...bummer if this is true. According to some other advice read on this board, I was under the impression that it IS a good idea to apply to both MD and MD/PhD programs, especially if you dont have extremely stellar numbers on your app. For example, I know this dude who has pretty good numbers, average for matriculation at most upper tier MD programs, but is very intersted in academic medicine and research and so is pondering applying to some dual degree programs. Should he run the risk of applying to both programs, or will that really hurt him on both ends...