Diagmagnetic vs. Paramagnetic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yh4747

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been taught that if an atom/element has even number of electrons it is diamagnetic and if it has odd number of electrons it is paramagnetic. However, that doesn't seem to be accurate.

For example,
B has odd number of electrons and it is considered diamagnetic.
S has even number of electrons and it is considered paramagnetic.
Ti has even number of electrons and it is considered paramagnetic.

I'm confused. Please clarify.

Members don't see this ad.

It's not as simple as even/odd. If an atom has an odd number of electrons, it will be paramagnetic. But if it has an even number of electrons, you have to check if every electron is paired or not within its orbital. Example: Cr2+ has 22 electrons but look at its noble gas configuration: [Ar] 3d4. That’s 4 unpaired electrons in the d orbital – so it's paramagnetic. If even a single electron is unpaired, it will be paramagnetic, regardless of even or odd number of electrons. But if every electron is paired it will be dimagnetic.

If there's an odd number of electrons, then it is paramagnetic mainly because the atom has unpaired electrons. If it has an even number of electrons, however, it isn't necessarily diamagnetic. You need to make sure that there aren't any unpaired electrons before saying that it is diamagnetic.

You need to use electron configuration to determine if an element is diamagnetic or paramagnetic.

It's not a matter of odd or even number of electrons it's a matter of paired and unpaired electrons.

When all orbitals have both an up spin and down spin electron then the molecule is NOT MAGNETIC and is termed Diamagnetic. (I remember this because di means two.. and you need two electrons in each orbital for it to be diamagnetic)

Lets do Boron. Boron will have a full 1S subshell, a full 2S subshell, and one electron in the 2P subshell (1S^2,2S^2,2P^1). The electron in the P orbital is unpaired and therefore Boron is actually PARAmagnetic and not diamagnetic.

These problems get tricky because if they turn the molecules into ions then you have to consider their non-ground electron state. For instance, if Boron has a +1 charge. Then it would become Diamagnetic because it would have an electron configuration of (1S^2,2S^2) and both the 1S and 2S subshell would be full --- there is only one orbital per S subshell and therefore in total B+1 would have two full orbitals, a full orbital in the 1S subshell and a full orbital in the 2S subshell. The nomenclature can quickly get confusing and took me a while to mentally compartmentalize everything.

While this doesn't help with paramagnetic and diamagnetic problems I think it's also important to understand how electron configuration and quantum numbers can be related. Shell number is (N) is telling you which period the S&P orbitals fall on the periodic table, the subshell shape is determined by the (l) value and this is really just stating if the subshell is a S,P,D, or F suborbital, , also you need to understand that the (ml) quantum number ranges from (-l to +l) and tells you the orientation of the sub-shell, and lastly the (ms) quantum value can be +1/2 or -1/2 and this tells you if the electron has up spin or down spin.

Last edited:
I've been taught that if an atom/element has even number of electrons it is diamagnetic and if it has odd number of electrons it is paramagnetic. However, that doesn't seem to be accurate.

For example,
B has odd number of electrons and it is considered diamagnetic.
S has even number of electrons and it is considered paramagnetic.
Ti has even number of electrons and it is considered paramagnetic.

I'm confused. Please clarify.

The only way to be sure is to draw out the electron configuration. Paired electrons render a specie diagmagnetic........Unpaired electrons render a specie paramagnetic. Don't memorize a silly rule that fails many times. For the DAT exam, make sure you can draw out electron configurations at least up to the 4p subsell.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Romano

Reactions: 1 user