Is there an easy way to determine paramagnetic or diamagnetic for molecules?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtualmaster999

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Quick question on this: so I know how this works for ions or elements, but how do you figure it out for things like diatomic molecules (C2 N2, etc), without having to draw out the diagram?

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone!

Quick question on this: so I know how this works for ions or elements, but how do you figure it out for things like diatomic molecules (C2 N2, etc), without having to draw out the diagram?

Any suggestions? Thanks!
The best way is to draw out the electron configuration. For the DAT exam.....knowing how to do individual atoms or ions will suffice. Draw out the electron configuration.....if electrons are all paired,,,,,it is diamagnetic. Unpaired electrons render the specie paramagnetic. OK....OK.....you want a few tricks ? Noble Gases, Alkaline Earth metals, Zinc.....and any specie having the same number of electrons as a Noble gas.....i.e P-3......S-2.......are diamagnetic......since all electrons are paired.

Hope this helps

Dr. Romano

Reactions: 1 users
The best way is to draw out the electron configuration. For the DAT exam.....knowing how to do individual atoms or ions will suffice. Draw out the electron configuration.....if electrons are all paired,,,,,it is diamagnetic. Unpaired electrons render the specie paramagnetic. OK....OK.....you want a few tricks ? Noble Gases, Alkaline Earth metals, Zinc.....and any specie having the same number of electrons as a Noble gas.....i.e P-3......S-2.......are diamagnetic......since all electrons are paired.

Hope this helps

Dr. Romano
Oh ok, so we don't need to know paramagnetic/diamagnetic for diatomic molecules?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh ok, so we don't need to know paramagnetic/diamagnetic for diatomic molecules?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No......the orbital analysis is a bit more complex......Single atoms and ions will suffice. However.....If you want to see how it is done, the Raymond Chang textbook presents it wonderfully.

Dr. Romano

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does spin have anything to do with this? Or for practical purposes, you don't need to worry about it?

Does spin have anything to do with this? Or for practical purposes, you don't need to worry about it?

Make sure you know the spin quantum number can be plus a half or minus a half in a given orbital. For your own information, because of spin the whole concept of NMR and MRI machines are in existence today. The spin of the electron can give magnetic properties to a given specie.

Dr. Romano