Developmental Biology versus Virology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shammyguy3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in need of taking one more upper level course this spring. I am currently registered for Biochemistry, and I was wondering if one of these classes is better than the other. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I took a virology class and really, really enjoyed it. I feel like developmental biology could maybe be better for MCAT prep, but honestly I would just choose whichever course you are more interested in.

I took a virology class and really, really enjoyed it. I feel like developmental biology could maybe be better for MCAT prep, but honestly I would just choose whichever course you are more interested in.
I was leaning towards Virology, glad to hear that you enjoyed it so much

Members don't see this ad :)
I would lead towards developmental...yes it will be more difficult but considering the material tested on the MCAT, I wish I had a stronger background in development.

Reactions: 1 user
I am pretty sure developmental biology counts as a science gpa. My friend applied last year and it was counted toward science gpa, unless at your school it's not offered through biology category than maybe it doesn't count.
I took this class last year ... It was an interesting class but during the labs you are required to draw everything you will see under the microscope the chick embryos (etc) of all stages ...and we were tested on drawing them at the lab exam!!!!! I suggest you take Virology

I assume it'll count as sGPA. They can't list all of the course titles (since there are zillions).
So Developmental Biology may have been left out although it's a prominent course.
For example, in my dream school they have a course called 'Biology of Seaweeds and Phytoplankton' under Ecology, Evolution & Marine Biology.
It's cute, we learn about Seaweeds (my god). It's too specific, but I doubt it won't count as sGPA because the course title isn't listed in the AACOMAS course subjects. They'll look at the course prefix and the department the course is provided by (EEMB:Ecology, Evolution & Marine Biology) and count it as Science.

To be honest with you, I'm really shocked by this fact. Contents from developmental biology and embryology overlap significantly.

Going back to the topic, OP have you taken immunology at all?
I have not but it isn't being offered at the university

I have not but it isn't being offered at the university

It's not required but reviewing the basics of immunology (MHC class I and II, etc) will come a long way if the professor likes to ask lots of application questions.

To be honest with you, I'm really shocked by this fact. Contents from developmental biology and embryology overlap significantly.

Going back to the topic, OP have you taken immunology at all?

I assume it'll count as sGPA. They can't list all of the course titles (since there are zillions).
So Developmental Biology may have been left out although it's a prominent course.
For example, in my dream school they have a course called 'Biology of Seaweeds and Phytoplankton' under Ecology, Evolution & Marine Biology.
It's cute, we learn about Seaweeds (my god). It's too specific, but I doubt it won't count as sGPA because the course title isn't listed in the AACOMAS course subjects. They'll look at the course prefix and the department the course is provided by (EEMB:Ecology, Evolution & Marine Biology) and count it as Science.

Yeah, I'm surprised too! But they have it listed under Behavioral Science so I guess it's best just to follow that.

Yeah, I'm surprised too! But they have it listed under Behavioral Science so I guess it's best just to follow that.
Wow
Didn't even see that. Just gave OP a wrong advice. Sorry OP :C

That's embarrassing.

Attachments

• crybaby.gif
    crybaby.gif
    843.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Hey guys sorry posting my question here I don't want to open a new thread for a quick question
Last year I took 'coordinating seminar biology' at cuny it was a required class as a biology major. We had to research a topic and write a paper. Does it count toward science gpa ?! I was checking aacomas course subjets but I don't see anything there. And they haven't emailed me back!!