developmental/behavioral peds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRSTEPHI27

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am an MS3, and I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge or background on developmental peds? If someone has rotated thru the speciality and can give me some insight on what its all about and if you enjoyed it or not?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

DRSTEPHI27 said:
Hi, I am an MS3, and I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge or background on developmental peds? If someone has rotated thru the speciality and can give me some insight on what its all about and if you enjoyed it or not?
Thanks

I've done 2 rotations. One as a med student and one as an intern in two different parts of the country. I really enjoyed the developmental part of it much more than the behavioral part (ADHD, ADHD, ADHD). The developmental part was great because you learn so much about how infants/toddlers develop normally AND what are the signs of developmental delay so you can get the child into services to help with their delays. You also see some interesing things such as autism, aspergers, rett syndrome, strange chromosomal deletions/syndromes, etc. I didn't enjoy behavior because it was just medications for ADHD and maybe ODD, although you do get a smattering of Tourettes. I had a fantastic rotation as a med student and not as much as a resident. I think it varies on whether you like developmental/behavioral more and what you get to see the most of during your rotation. The one thing that has turned me away from dev/beh peds fellowship is that there isn't a lot of MEDICINE going on. No specific thing to treat for the most part. I didn't enjoy that. You also spend a huge amount of time with each patient which is fun but can get tedious after awhile.

I am currently a DB fellow in one of the top ten pediatric hospital.

when I applied for the fellowship, i have lots of interviews. Of the 20 programs that I applied, I have 10 interviews and I have seen the differences between programs. There are programs that focus a lot in behavior while others focus in developmental disabilities. The programs I am training in now has its major focus in developmental disabilities, however, we are evolving and we have recurit several DB pediatricians that will focus on the behavioral issues.

DB physician will be in high devmands because there are not enough to go by in the entire country especially to the minorities population, which has high demands. In addition, your life style will be very different to your hardcore medicine colleagues. You will have time for your family and not to worry about being waken up in the middle of the night. I hope that will help.

What is the compensation like in this field?