Description/Key Responsibilities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello1996

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the shadowing experience under the Description/Key Responsibilities section do we need to list them as bulletin points or in an essay format? Also what type of stuff should be included in this section, how detailed and how long should it be lengthwise?

Members don't see this ad.

For the shadowing experience under the Description/Key Responsibilities section do we need to list them as bulletin points or in an essay format? Also what type of stuff should be included in this section, how detailed and how long should it be lengthwise?

I did bullet points. You do not need to be garrulous here; I did not write a whole lot since there is only so much you can write about shadowing. Maybe something along the lines of:

- Observed Dr. X diagnose and perform xyz cases...
- Scrubbed in on xyz cases...
- Asked questions about...

Your shadowing experiences may differ, but I used the format above and saw success. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
I wrote couple sentences describing the most significant things I have performed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wrote couple sentences describing the most significant things I have performed.
Are you guys actually doing things when you shadow?? My shadowing experiences have consisted of me awkwardly standing in the corner watching the doctor and patient ignore me completely lol. This was my experience on different occasions with a DPM and MD.

Are you guys actually doing things when you shadow?? My shadowing experiences have consisted of me awkwardly standing in the corner watching the doctor and patient ignore me completely lol. This was my experience on different occasions with a DPM and MD.

….that's why its called shadowing.

Mileage varies. Some will let you do stuff. Some won't. I don't blame them.

Would you let a student who you do not know touch your patient?

Reactions: 1 users
My bad. I was answering about descriptions I wrote for other activities. For shadowing I said something like this: "Shadowed podiatrist for x days in the clinic and OR. Was able to appreciate x and y procedures."

Something like that.

Again, sorry. For all shadowing experiences I just stood there most of the time.

My bad. I was answering about descriptions I wrote for other activities. For shadowing I said something like this: "Shadowed podiatrist for x days in the clinic and OR. Was able to appreciate x and y procedures."

Something like that.

Again, sorry. For all shadowing experiences I just stood there most of the time.
Thank you :)

I suppose anything could happen, but I would not expect to scrub in while shadowing. For one thing - you don't actually know how to "scrub". You don't know what's sterile. You don't know how to gown and glove. The schools literally have a class to teach this and while it seems mundane and straightforward - I literally had classmates fail the "practical". Prior nurses, scrub techs, hardware reps will have more OR familiarity.

I did admission interviews so I suspect you'll ultimately describe an amazing clinical and surgical experience seeing patients immediately get better and feeling very grateful to the podiatrist. This will land you squarely amidst 99% of application packets.