derm and pmr-pain comparision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transformers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Totally random question...actually on my PMR elective and enjoying my SCI inpatient experience along with a few pain clinic sessions.

To be short and its sadly yet another a superficial question in the scope of lifestyle specialties, but how does both pmr-pain (assuming the highest paid specialty) and derm compare in terms of income and lifestyle. I'm familiar with derm, which i am considering, but don't know much about PMR pain docs. Both are different fields but have a very similar approach of high-volume clinic-based experiences with minor procedures involved and a vast patient population. I've enjoyed the pain clinics even during my anesthesia rotation (sadly the only part of my anesthesia experience I liked since I hated the OR and hence am not considering the anesthesia pain route).

Members don't see this ad.

Totally random question...actually on my PMR elective and enjoying my SCI inpatient experience along with a few pain clinic sessions.

To be short and its sadly yet another a superficial question in the scope of lifestyle specialties, but how does both pmr-pain (assuming the highest paid specialty) and derm compare in terms of income and lifestyle. I'm familiar with derm, which i am considering, but don't know much about PMR pain docs. Both are different fields but have a very similar approach of high-volume clinic-based experiences with minor procedures involved and a vast patient population. I've enjoyed the pain clinics even during my anesthesia rotation (sadly the only part of my anesthesia experience I liked since I hated the OR and hence am not considering the anesthesia pain route).

Find out what you want to do everyday when you are done. Both can be 9-5 M-F jobs.

If you can tolerate derm and have the scores to match, I would go derm. It's one of the only fields I'm actually non-bearish about going forward. Lifestyle? Check. Income? Check. People willing to pay out of pocket? Check.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I think it's funny you ask this. My answer: PMR-pain is derm without the scores. Because of all the sources of revenue from pain in combo with all the sources of revenue that can be gained from PMR, you can make a very large amount of $$ with PMR/pain combo, and it is far far farrrrr easier to get into than derm. Derm is not as lucrative as it once was, in part due to numerous issues. Derm payments have been slashed quite a bit recently. There are more NP/PA type "practitioners" and I use that word loosely. Also, the cosmetic part of derm has been divided up by countless "providers." Anywhere from FM/IM, Ob/EM, estheticians, nurses and everyone under the sun has propped up a "spa" and since it's not under "dermatology" that slice of the pie has gotten much smaller for dermatologists.

While derm still by far provides one of the best lifestyles to income ratios, it is incredibly tough to get into. PMR/pain provides many of the same benefits as something like derm does, but with much easier time getting in. However, I think the secret is out about PMR, and with the small number of spots per year (very similar to derm) it will get more and more competitive. As someone who switched into PMR this year and who has a solid, competitive background, I can tell you that it took more work than I thought it would take, and going forward it will be much more competitive since PMR programs are no longer the "back up" option for many students.

I would recommend going with that you enjoy more--the odds are reimbursement in pain (and anything interventional) is going to decrease, and while I think it'll still pay very well, it may not pay as well as it does now. Derm will usually have more out-of-pocket payers, and while increasing competition from people outside the specialty is a problem, I think derm will always have a good lifestyle/reimbursement.

Personally, I think derm would be incredibly boring (just as most EM physicians would find inpatient rehab incredibly boring--different strokes for different folks), but if you enjoy derm and PM&R equally, I think derm is probably the smarter way to go. Overall, derm is one of the happiest specialties, has the best lifestyle on average, gets reimbursed incredibly well (considering low hours), and I believe is the specialty most likely to say "I'd choose this specialty again if I could do it all over."

On the other hand, I say go PM&R just because I love it! But you should really do what you love. If you're having a hard time thinking about which one you enjoyed more, just ask yourself (or your significant other/family/friends) on which rotation you found yourself smiling more--it worked for me when I felt I enjoyed two specialties equally.

How competitive is it match into a pain fellowship coming from PM-R vs. anesthesiology?

I think it's funny you ask this. My answer: PMR-pain is derm without the scores. Because of all the sources of revenue from pain in combo with all the sources of revenue that can be gained from PMR, you can make a very large amount of $$ with PMR/pain combo, and it is far far farrrrr easier to get into than derm. Derm is not as lucrative as it once was, in part due to numerous issues. Derm payments have been slashed quite a bit recently. There are more NP/PA type "practitioners" and I use that word loosely. Also, the cosmetic part of derm has been divided up by countless "providers." Anywhere from FM/IM, Ob/EM, estheticians, nurses and everyone under the sun has propped up a "spa" and since it's not under "dermatology" that slice of the pie has gotten much smaller for dermatologists.

While derm still by far provides one of the best lifestyles to income ratios, it is incredibly tough to get into. PMR/pain provides many of the same benefits as something like derm does, but with much easier time getting in. However, I think the secret is out about PMR, and with the small number of spots per year (very similar to derm) it will get more and more competitive. As someone who switched into PMR this year and who has a solid, competitive background, I can tell you that it took more work than I thought it would take, and going forward it will be much more competitive since PMR programs are no longer the "back up" option for many students.
PM&R isn't derm without the board scores. The people who are actually making a lot of money from PM&R are people doing mostly interventional pain, which then makes it essentially pain medicine. However, PM&R without pain specialization would be the odd man out in terms of getting those patients. And if you're going to practice pain medicine, you would be better off doing an anesthesiology residency. The essential problem with PM&R out in the community is that they are competing with other providers for the same patients. If it's a MSK problem, they likely will get referred to sports medicine. If it is neuro problem, it will be referred to neurology. Only a very small subset of the population will be referred directly to PM&R. In fact, I don't think I have ever referred anyone to PM&R in clinic. Most PM&R docs in the community that I know of work with orthos and neurosurg and take care of these patients post-op, sparing the surgeons for the OR.
Derm is the king of their domain, despite what people think about "other" providers. Yes, derm makes a good chunk of money from cosmetics, but the real key to derm is the fact that they can see A LOT of patients in not a lot of time. And with the low number of providers, they are always booked full. Even if you take away cosmetics entirely, they still bank. And they are still first in line as far as derm cosmetic procedures. The kind of people who can pay out of pocket are the same kind of people who will demand an actual board certified dermatologist.

PM&R isn't derm without the board scores. The people who are actually making a lot of money from PM&R are people doing mostly interventional pain, which then makes it essentially pain medicine. However, PM&R without pain specialization would be the odd man out in terms of getting those patients. And if you're going to practice pain medicine, you would be better off doing an anesthesiology residency. The essential problem with PM&R out in the community is that they are competing with other providers for the same patients. If it's a MSK problem, they likely will get referred to sports medicine. If it is neuro problem, it will be referred to neurology. Only a very small subset of the population will be referred directly to PM&R. In fact, I don't think I have ever referred anyone to PM&R in clinic. Most PM&R docs in the community that I know of work with orthos and neurosurg and take care of these patients post-op, sparing the surgeons for the OR.
Derm is the king of their domain, despite what people think about "other" providers. Yes, derm makes a good chunk of money from cosmetics, but the real key to derm is the fact that they can see A LOT of patients in not a lot of time. And with the low number of providers, they are always booked full. Even if you take away cosmetics entirely, they still bank. And they are still first in line as far as derm cosmetic procedures. The kind of people who can pay out of pocket are the same kind of people who will demand an actual board certified dermatologist.

You can believe what you want, but since you are not in PMR or pain or PMR-pain or derm, I think you are probably not the best person to speak about this. You should also re-read what I wrote. You always seem to have a negative thing to say about just about every specialty, from Radiology to Cards to just about everything. I don't see how you would be referring anyone to PMR. Are you even a resident at all?

You also always don't disclose your specialty but say how you are "considering" this or that. You are very peculiar in my opinion.
If you that derm hasn't taken a huge hit in terms of pay, then you probably need to do further research. If you want to think that everyone runs to dermatologists for cosmetic procedures, again, you would be mistaken, but are free to believe as you wish.Far more people go to "non-dermatologists" for cosmetic stuff, including plastic surgeons, FP/IM, etc. than to dermatologists. You can look that up yourself. And the good, academic dermatologists don't see 50 patients a day. The ones who do are those that employ a bunch of midlevels and who treat simple things.

The statement that doing anesthesia for doing pain is just plain silly. It makes far more sense for neuros/PMRs/rads to do pain than anesthesiologists, who rarely see patients in anesthesia, but I won't go down that discussion.

If you truly are a physician, what specialty are you actually in?

Last edited:
You are also dealing with very different patient populations.... Derm is way more of a sure thing if you have the scores do derm. I'm glad that PMR is attracting the interest of that caliber of med student.

Last edited:
You can believe what you want, but since you are not in PMR or pain or PMR-pain or derm, I think you are probably not the best person to speak about this. You should also re-read what I wrote. You always seem to have a negative thing to say about just about every specialty, from Radiology to Cards to just about everything. I don't see how you would be referring anyone to PMR. Are you even a resident at all?

You also always don't disclose your specialty but say how you are "considering" this or that. You are very peculiar in my opinion.
If you that derm hasn't taken a huge hit in terms of pay, then you probably need to do further research. If you want to think that everyone runs to dermatologists for cosmetic procedures, again, you would be mistaken, but are free to believe as you wish.Far more people go to "non-dermatologists" for cosmetic stuff, including plastic surgeons, FP/IM, etc. than to dermatologists. You can look that up yourself. And the good, academic dermatologists don't see 50 patients a day. The ones who do are those that employ a bunch of midlevels and who treat simple things.

The statement that doing anesthesia for doing pain is just plain silly. It makes far more sense for neuros/PMRs/rads to do pain than anesthesiologists, who rarely see patients in anesthesia, but I won't go down that discussion.

If you truly are a physician, what specialty are you actually in?
Lol, if you are going to post stalk me, then do it right. I've stated multiple times that I'm an IM resident going into allergy & immunology. Maybe you wanna click back a bit further in my posts... you want to call me peculiar when you're the one looking up my history? Ok, lol. I don't have negative thing to say about every specialty. I'm bearish on anesthesia, radiology and cardiology for obvious job market reasons. I'm neutral on many other specialties. I'm bullish on derm, plastics, and surprisingly FM for various reasons. And this is all relative as our bloated health care system in general doesn't have a bright future. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying PM&R is bad, I'm simply comparing it to a specialty for whom I think the future isn't bleak to say the least. I'm going into allergy & immunology for the lifestyle, and out of pocket potential. I'm uncertain about the future, but it's interesting enough that I'd want to practice it.

Show me data that derm has "taken a huge hit" in anything that isn't MOHS. I'm not saying this hasn't happened, but I haven't heard of it.

I'm making my opinion on the referral patterns to derm and PM&R based on what I've seen and what I do. We have a cohort of a few thousand patients in resident clinic, half of whom are privately insured and the other half are either uninsured/have physician assistance programs or Medicaid. We also do our fair share of derm clinic. The academic dermatologists aren't seeing 50 patients a day, but they sure as hell aren't seeing 20. Plus, most of the ones I work with have their own private venture on the side. Are you a primary care physician? Have you even acted as anyone's primary care physician? If not, then you probably aren't the best person to speak to about referral patterns to PM&R or dermatology. Two can play at this game, but I honestly don't see how it's even relevant.

Last edited:
Lol, if you are going to post stalk me, then do it right. I've stated multiple times that I'm an IM resident going into allergy & immunology. Maybe you wanna click back a bit further in my posts... you want to call me peculiar when you're the one looking up my history? Ok, lol. I don't have negative thing to say about every specialty. I'm bearish on anesthesia, radiology and cardiology for obvious job market reasons. I'm neutral on many other specialties. I'm bullish on derm, plastics, and surprisingly FM for various reasons. And this is all relative as our bloated health care system in general doesn't have a bright future. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying PM&R is bad, I'm simply comparing it to a specialty for whom I think the future isn't bleak to say the least. I'm going into allergy & immunology for the lifestyle, and out of pocket potential. I'm uncertain about the future, but it's interesting enough that I'd want to practice it.

Show me data that derm has "taken a huge hit" in anything that isn't MOHS. I'm not saying this hasn't happened, but I haven't heard of it.

I'm making my opinion on the referral patterns to derm and PM&R based on what I've seen and what I do. We have a cohort of a few thousand patients in resident clinic, half of whom are privately insured and the other half are either uninsured/have physician assistance programs or Medicaid. We also do our fair share of derm clinic. The academic dermatologists aren't seeing 50 patients a day, but they sure as hell aren't seeing 20. Plus, most of the ones I work with have their own private venture on the side. Are you a primary care physician? Have you even acted as anyone's primary care physician? If not, then you probably aren't the best person to speak to about referral patterns to PM&R or dermatology. Two can play at this game, but I honestly don't see how it's even relevant.

Bronx, which specialty would you say is the one medical students should most avoid? In other words, which field are you the most bearish on?

No one is "post stalking" you. I simply see you commenting on numerous fields, none of which you are in. So giving your opinion on which fields are this or that, when you are in none of those fields, makes no sense. For example, I am not in Allergy and Immunology, so me talking to you about it would be pointless, since I am not in the field, and speaking as an expert would be silly on my part. You pretend to "know the future" of numerous specialties. None of us knows much of anything about how different fields will shape up. Every single specialty has good points, and bad points.

Every single specialty has needs, and different people who are good fits, and bad fits, and every specialty is important in different ways. I can say oh FM is a terrible specialty guys, everyone stay away! But you know what? I'm not a FM physician, and while I would not choose FM because it's not my style or what I want, it doesn't mean that it's good or bad. So being less "bullish" and perhaps more humble about other specialties would make sense. That's my 2 cents. No need to get defensive on your part.

i also never spoke about referral parts of any specialty, that's all you. And if you are in Allergy/Immunology, i don't see how or why you would be referring anyone to PMR.

Members don't see this ad :)
No one is "post stalking" you. I simply see you commenting on numerous fields, none of which you are in. So giving your opinion on which fields are this or that, when you are in none of those fields, makes no sense. For example, I am not in Allergy and Immunology, so me talking to you about it would be pointless, since I am not in the field, and speaking as an expert would be silly on my part. You pretend to "know the future" of numerous specialties. None of us knows much of anything about how different fields will shape up. Every single specialty has good points, and bad points.

Every single specialty has needs, and different people who are good fits, and bad fits, and every specialty is important in different ways. I can say oh FM is a terrible specialty guys, everyone stay away! But you know what? I'm not a FM physician, and while I would not choose FM because it's not my style or what I want, it doesn't mean that it's good or bad. So being less "bullish" and perhaps more humble about other specialties would make sense. That's my 2 cents. No need to get defensive on your part.

i also never spoke about referral parts of any specialty, that's all you. And if you are in Allergy/Immunology, i don't see how or why you would be referring anyone to PMR.
??wut?? I said I am an IM resident going into allergy & immunology. Therefore, I am currently an IM resident, and as an IM resident, I perform primary care duties for patients in our resident clinic. I am the primary referral base for all these patients, whether they need surgery, sports medicine, urology, etc. And my point is that private practice PM&R is hampered by the lack of an established referral base from primary care physicians, since they occupy the same market as anesthesia pain medicine, sports medicine, rheumatology, neurology, and orthopedics. Unfortunately for PM&R, those other specialties are more firmly established in their niche.

And your argument about commenting on specialties makes little sense. I can have an opinion on other fields based on my perspective from outside the field. I am not making any comments about the medicine aspect of those specialties. You don't need to be a plastic surgeon to realize their patient base pay out of pocket, and that certain locations are better for business. I don't need to be a cardiologist to know that job market is tight for everything except maybe general cards. I don't need to be an anesthesiologist to see how much the midlevel has eroded their field. I'll say this again. PM&R is a nice field with good hours and decent earning potential, but it is ultimately hampered by the fact that they do not have a firm standing in the community referral base.

Last edited:
Bronx, which specialty would you say is the one medical students should most avoid? In other words, which field are you the most bearish on?
This is a really long discussion that ultimately depends on your outlook towards the US economy and financial system in general. One thing that is fairly certain is that the status quo is not sustainable. The US cannot keep spending 17% of GDP on health care. I rather not go into a long diatribue about this, but does anyone in their right mind think that we can continue to pay seven figure ICU stays, complex procedure that may or may not extend quality of life, box full of medications for which we as a nation cannot negotiate the price of? If the answer is no, then which fields will suffer? Or the better question is which fields will suffer more and which less?

Some inaccuracies here, and a skewed viewpoint perhaps due to inexperience.

I agree, PM&R is not Derm without the board scores. Derm is highly desirable due to the combination of lifestyle and income potential, relatively speaking. The income potential comes from quick office based procedures in high volume. Additionally, they have kept the number of trainees per year, relatively low. Derm is a well defined specialty.

There needs to be clarification on the whole "pain" thing. Anyone from any base specialty can train in "pain management". What does that say about it as a specialty? Pain management has become a four letter word for most insurers, due to the overall costs of treating this patient population. The practice model of the typical interventional pain practice, over the past 15-20 years, fuels these costs due to co-dependency (opioids for procedures) developed between pain physicians and their patients. That model is rapidly dying with Obamacare, ACOs, etc.

Enter Physiatrists. Physiatrists are generally now favored by insurers to manage patients with sub-acute/chronic musculoskeletal problems. Physiatrists are non-surgical neuro-musculoskeletal doctors. We're not so much concerned with symptom management as we are with accurate, comprehensive diagnosis, rehabilitation, and improvement in functional status. Ask your local IPA or national insurers providing work-comp coverage in your region what they think about Physiatrists having first crack at musculoskeletal patients with subacute or chronic pain symptoms. They may even be willing to show you their utilization and outcome data. A core tenet of Physiatry is to take those with the highest levels of disability, and improve their level of function. In the typical "pain managment" practice, "who cares what's actually wrong with the patient, the surgeon or other specialist was supposed to figure that out, my job is to manage the pain medications and do procedures". I see this in my community daily, moreso with pain physicians nearing retirement. Take a look at Kaiser's model. It's now Physiatry dominant. Patients deemed high risk for delayed recovery and generating higher expenditures are referred to their multidisciplinary pain program, at a centralized location, at which point, the emphasis becomes patient education and cognitive behavioral therapy. I agree that there may be few referrals of musculoskeletal patients to the PM&R department in the academic setting. Boundaries and referral patterns are well defined in the academic setting and it is unlikely that anyone is going to go against the culture of an institution if he/she wishes to keep their job. Was the same when I was a resident.

When PM&R first got heavily involved in the musculoskeletal arena (90's), we were dependent on Ortho and Neurosurg to refer musculoskeletal patients. Hence, the large number of Physiatrists in multispecialty surgical practices. More and more, this is going away. The specialty has traditionally been ill-defined. We constantly have to explain to patients and other physicians what it is that we actually do. What we do have, however, is great diversity/versatility in our practices. Ask some of the Physiatrists who were fortunate enough to grandfather into pain and sports medicine. For some of those guys it was high volume interventional, EMGs, ultrasound and no opioid management. Add in in-office PT and ownership in a surgery center, med-legal work, and it was a nice 9-5, out-patient only based practice. I'm always a bit surprised when other physicians still assume the predominant base of PM&R is still inpatient rehab. Perceptions take time to change I guess. Another advantage is that we can re-invent ourselves much more easily than well defined specialties. This is becoming increasingly important. Check out some of the threads regarding how to create a non-opioid, cash-based "pain management" practice. Short answer, it would be very difficult. Say "Pain Management" and the first thought of most patients and physicians is still "narcotics clinic".

In summary, Derm is well defined and stable. A safe bet if one can get a spot (and actually has interest in the field). Physiatry is ill-defined and for those willing to think outside the box (in terms of creating a niche) and in my opinion is the best specialty for those who would like to have a near 100% musculoskeletal practice.

Last point, I do feel anesthesiology is the easiest pathway to "pain management".

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
but it is ultimately hampered by the fact that they do not have a firm standing in the community referral base.

I think this is the point I most disagree with, and find to be inaccurate.

I think this is the point I most disagree with, and find to be inaccurate.
What patients are consistently being referred to PM&R across the country? The fact that you guys are "ill-defined" and "have to think outside the box" to create your niche essentially implies a lack of a firm referral base nationally. Does that mean you cannot go into a community and carve out your role? No. But, this is a far cry from derm, which was what I wanted to address with the initial discussion.

What patients are consistently being referred to PM&R across the country? The fact that you guys are "ill-defined" and "have to think outside the box" to create your niche essentially implies a lack of a firm referral base nationally. Does that mean you cannot go into a community and carve out your role? No. But, this is a far cry from derm, which was what I wanted to address with the initial discussion.

I should clarify. "Ill-defined" to specialists who do not typically refer to, or would have little exposure to, Physiatrists in the out-patient setting, e.g. general surgeons, OB/GYN, ENT, optho, GI and other IM subspecialties, etc. Specialties most familiar would be primary care, sports med (ortho and non-ortho), ortho (especially spine/hand), neurosurg, neurology, perhaps rheumatology.

Your current opinions are going to be based on your experiences to date. If you end up going into community practice (one where Physiatrists are present), check back in a few years and maybe your opinions will have changed.

Anyone who thinks PM&R is like Dermatology in terms of job prospects is utterly clueless. Any Dermatologist can hang out a shingle anywhere they want in the country and will be booked out for a few weeks, and not soon after a few months with little effort. No Physiatrist can achieve that. Just try promoting your new PM&R MSK practice and see how eager PCP's are to send their patients to you (when they probably have established relationships with a half dozen other specialists who have been around longer). But for Dermatology, they are always desperate to find someone that can see their patients in a reasonable time frame.

There are some interventional spine Physiatrists who can earn like Dermatologists. But they have run to what any Dermatologist can easily walk to. And with the major reimbursement cuts for interventional procedures, who knows if even that will last.

You have a lack of education at this point of time with myopic viewpoints likely due to your clinical setting. PMR is dominating much of Georgia from an outpatient MSK standpoint. Maybe your clinic needs a visit from the PMR fairy or you need a sub-I in outpatient PMR.

most docs know what we do. most lay-people dont

You have a lack of education at this point of time with myopic viewpoints likely due to your clinical setting. PMR is dominating much of Georgia from an outpatient MSK standpoint. Maybe your clinic needs a visit from the PMR fairy or you need a sub-I in outpatient PMR.

Agree completely. And can I just say that I love your use of the word "myopic" in this case.

Agree completely. And can I just say that I love your use of the word "myopic" in this case.

Sorry there is some heat in the thread....maybe my comparison shouldn't be derm vs PMR. I guess what i am now questioning in light of the reimbursement scheme when weighing out my options for specialties AND taking into account of lifestyle and income was that the specialties I thought about going into early on in med school may not be worth it down the road as they were before.

Surgery and derm aside, I'm more focused on outpatient medicine specialties (cards, hemeonc, GI, allergy), optho, neuro, psych. Of course, you should love what you do, and for me my threshold of liking a specialty is small and its mainly outpatient medicine with relatively healthy patients. This is after shadowing and rotating through many specialties in and out of third year. I just know I dont like fast paced medicine (critical care, EM) and I dislike the OR and I don't want to do peds or ob/gyn and I don't like diagnostic specialties (rads/path)

When it comes down to it, the tradeoff now looks like I could do pmr-pain, which is less competitive and offers a better lifestyle/income/ and now I'm realizing is actually pretty awesome. While i may just making 50-100k less than cards, GI, and maybe the same as psych and neuro...the road to PMR-pain (in and outside of residency in terms of hours, stress, lifestyle, and overall the day-to-day job), while competitive, sounds soooo much more appealing. Thoughts?

Sorry there is some heat in the thread....maybe my comparison shouldn't be derm vs PMR. I guess what i am now questioning in light of the reimbursement scheme when weighing out my options for specialties AND taking into account of lifestyle and income was that the specialties I thought about going into early on in med school may not be worth it down the road as they were before.

Surgery and derm aside, I'm more focused on outpatient medicine specialties (cards, hemeonc, GI, allergy), optho, neuro, psych. Of course, you should love what you do, and for me my threshold of liking a specialty is small and its mainly outpatient medicine with relatively healthy patients. This is after shadowing and rotating through many specialties in and out of third year. I just know I dont like fast paced medicine (critical care, EM) and I dislike the OR and I don't want to do peds or ob/gyn and I don't like diagnostic specialties (rads/path)

When it comes down to it, the tradeoff now looks like I could do pmr-pain, which is less competitive and offers a better lifestyle/income/ and now I'm realizing is actually pretty awesome. While i may just making 50-100k less than cards, GI, and maybe the same as psych and neuro...the road to PMR-pain (in and outside of residency in terms of hours, stress, lifestyle, and overall the day-to-day job), while competitive, sounds soooo much more appealing. Thoughts?

I guess I am not sure what year of med school you are in right now, but while you know this, let me repeat it again - do NOT choose a specialty merely from an income potential. Specialties fall and rise in terms of reimbursement all the time, and many specialties are cyclical. So if you choose a specialty from the perspective of income alone, you are likely to be very miserable, especially if there are changes to teh reimbursement scheme. Choose something that you love, and can do for the next 30+ years of your life. You should know which specialties fit your personality or not. For example, i would never have chosen surgery of any type because that's not my thing. I also never liked the fast pace/quick thinking type decision situations that things like EM involve. Some people love that. So eliminate what you know doesn't fit, and then shadow/rotate through specialties you may like.

Derm ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS needs a backup. It is incredibly tough to match into. Don't chose PMR because you think "it's easy" or because of the possibility of getting into pain. You should always love the specialty you are going into, not just the possible fellowship.

Good luck. And btw-Cardiology is not really a lifestyle specialty.

I guess I am not sure what year of med school you are in right now, but while you know this, let me repeat it again - do NOT choose a specialty merely from an income potential. Specialties fall and rise in terms of reimbursement all the time, and many specialties are cyclical. So if you choose a specialty from the perspective of income alone, you are likely to be very miserable, especially if there are changes to teh reimbursement scheme. Choose something that you love, and can do for the next 30+ years of your life. You should know which specialties fit your personality or not. For example, i would never have chosen surgery of any type because that's not my thing. I also never liked the fast pace/quick thinking type decision situations that things like EM involve. Some people love that. So eliminate what you know doesn't fit, and then shadow/rotate through specialties you may like.

Derm ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS needs a backup. It is incredibly tough to match into. Don't chose PMR because you think "it's easy" or because of the possibility of getting into pain. You should always love the specialty you are going into, not just the possible fellowship.

Good luck. And btw-Cardiology is not really a lifestyle specialty.

I'm at the end of my third year. I agree with your advice and that's what I would of course give others too. Like I said, I'm not a one, two, or three specialty person in terms of how I have narrowed my decisions... For me, I have definitely found out what I don't like in terms of the patient population, disease management, and setting I would like to work in. As many other people, however, I value the lifestyle/income balance - a very fair statement. For example, if I loved neurosurgery and really liked pmr-pain, I would pick pmr-pain because I value other things in my life that are important (family life in particular along with other reasons).

With that being said, taking cardiology out of the picture, how does pmr-pain compare with said above specialties. I think the issue that I am starting to realize is wow, very few people in my school (a top 20) even know what PMR is. There is still a traditional mindset (medicine vs surgery) in picking a specialty. Seeing what PMR has offered on my elective now makes me reconsider my specialty considerations.

Lol, the fact that you must qualify that PM&R is dominating "much of Georgia" basically makes my point. PM&R definitely isn't dominating my area, not just my institution as we have several private systems in the metro area. And this was a comparison to dermatology - everything I say was in context to that discussion. I'll be damned if a dermatologist ever has to say that derm is "dominating much of [state]."

Lol, the fact that you must qualify that PM&R is dominating "much of Georgia" basically makes my point. PM&R definitely isn't dominating my area, not just my institution as we have several private systems in the metro area. And this was a comparison to dermatology - everything I say was in context to that discussion. I'll be damned if a dermatologist ever has to say that derm is "dominating much of [state]."

Fine. As a resident I'll call you too young and stupid to know what is going on in your area. Derm has no skin competition except all of the FP folks who like to shoot lasers, restylane, Botox and open their own spas. PMR directly competes with Ortho, Neuro, FP-sports, and chiros.

So what area are you in? I'm sure we can get a PMR doc to come to the clinic and provide lunch and learn. PMR is a great field with some brilliant people. And then there are guys like me.

Some inaccuracies here, and a skewed viewpoint perhaps due to inexperience.

I agree, PM&R is not Derm without the board scores. Derm is highly desirable due to the combination of lifestyle and income potential, relatively speaking. The income potential comes from quick office based procedures in high volume. Additionally, they have kept the number of trainees per year, relatively low. Derm is a well defined specialty.

At least we got somewhere with the derm and PMR comparison.

As far as the referral base for PM&R, I may be skewed by what I do in a large academic center, but PM&R is simply not a strong presence in the metropolitan area where I live. There are two other large health care systems here, and none is a referral base for outpatient phys med. Maybe you guys are right, and that the systems are going to change their approach to some chronic pain patients, but I'm telling you as of now, such changes have not been made. I'd be happy to refer my patients to physical medicine if we had those options here, but we don't. The best we have are multi-specialty groups that includes PM&R, but half the time, my patients are not actually seen by a physiatrist.

Fine. As a resident I'll call you too young and stupid to know what is going on in your area. Derm has no skin competition except all of the FP folks who like to shoot lasers, restylane, Botox and open their own spas. PMR directly competes with Ortho, Neuro, FP-sports, and chiros.

So what area are you in? I'm sure we can get a PMR doc to come to the clinic and provide lunch and learn. PMR is a great field with some brilliant people. And then there are guys like me.
You guys actually do that? You go to PCP offices, offer lunch, and educate them on the services you provide?

He talks about Georgia because that's where he practices dude! Are you this clueless? This is exactly what I mean when I say that you should not talk about other specialties when you are not in them, because it makes you look clueless.

just like you look ignorant when you talk about Radiology and Cards and Anesthesia, you know look clueless in PMR, yet again. The comparison to derm was only made to PMR-PAIN and it was in terms of $$. If you missed that, then that is your problem entirely. Read more closely next time. And if you think that dermatology dominates anything, perhaps you should talk to all the many other specialties that compete very successfully with dermatology. But you think you know best in everything. Whatever. In rads, gas, cards and a number of other specialties people have pointed out your ignorance on their specialties, yet you continue to act like you know it all. Oh well, just continue acting like a fool then.

You guys actually do that? You go to PCP offices, offer lunch, and educate them on the services you provide?

I used to. Been too busy for the last 6 years to be able to get out much. But I wish I could. PM your area and I'll find someone who can help your patients more than the Ortho/Neuro/Rheum for their pain complaints.

It's good to see some activity on this site! I'm finishing up PM&R residency next month. I started out in radiology and switched into PM&R and I'll be doing a one year pain fellowship. I don't think it's ridiculously competitive to obtain a pain fellowship as long as you're willing to go anywhere to do it. What's competitive is getting into a rehab based fellowship where you'll get training in MSK/sports, US, EMG, pain procedures. There are a lot of anesthesia run fellowships where you'll spend the majority of your year doing inpatient pain consults/chronic opioid managment/pain procedures. I wanted to stay in the west and literally had 2 options.

It's good to see some activity on this site! I'm finishing up PM&R residency next month. I started out in radiology and switched into PM&R and I'll be doing a one year pain fellowship. I don't think it's ridiculously competitive to obtain a pain fellowship as long as you're willing to go anywhere to do it. What's competitive is getting into a rehab based fellowship where you'll get training in MSK/sports, US, EMG, pain procedures. There are a lot of anesthesia run fellowships where you'll spend the majority of your year doing inpatient pain consults/chronic opioid managment/pain procedures. I wanted to stay in the west and literally had 2 options.

You're welcome...now can y'all homies answer my recent post...is PMR truly the new golden ticket? That is the question, what is the answer?

Reactions: 1 user
Golden ticket? Probably not. A great job with regular hours, decent pay, procedures, clinic, and never having to work overnight or weekend again? Yes!!!

He talks about Georgia because that's where he practices dude! Are you this clueless? This is exactly what I mean when I say that you should not talk about other specialties when you are not in them, because it makes you look clueless.

just like you look ignorant when you talk about Radiology and Cards and Anesthesia, you know look clueless in PMR, yet again. The comparison to derm was only made to PMR-PAIN and it was in terms of $$. If you missed that, then that is your problem entirely. Read more closely next time. And if you think that dermatology dominates anything, perhaps you should talk to all the many other specialties that compete very successfully with dermatology. But you think you know best in everything. Whatever. In rads, gas, cards and a number of other specialties people have pointed out your ignorance on their specialties, yet you continue to act like you know it all. Oh well, just continue acting like a fool then.
I know he practices in Georgia, because it says so on his profile... but, you don't have very good reading comprehension, do you? The point of my statement is that declaring PM&R has presence in Georgia suggests that there is no ESTABLISHED presence nationwide. A nephrologist would never make it a point to argue that nephrology has a dominant presence in kidney care in Michigan, because it would be like saying water is wet.

And do you honestly doubt the poor job market for radiology, cardiology or the midlevel threat of anesthesia? I'm not the ones making those claims - they are.

Honestly, I'm done with this conversation. Argue with Disciple if you think pmr is equivalent to derm. PM&R is a nice field with good hours and decent earning potential, but let's not get ahold of ourselves.

Last edited:
I know he practices in Georgia, because it says so on his profile... but, you don't have very good reading comprehension, do you? The point of my statement is that declaring PM&R has presence in Georgia suggests that there is no ESTABLISHED presence nationwide. A nephrologist would never make it a point to argue that nephrology has a dominant presence in kidney care in Michigan, because it would be like saying water is wet.

And do you honestly doubt the poor job market for radiology, cardiology or the midlevel threat of anesthesia? I'm not the ones making those claims - they are.

Honestly, I'm done with this conversation. Argue with Disciple if you think pmr is equivalent to derm. PM&R is a nice field with good hours and decent earning potential, but let's not get ahold of ourselves.

Like I told you before, read what I wrote. I NEVER said PMR is equal to derm, I said *PMR-PAIN*
And he did not say "presence" he said, "dominating" much of Georgia, which are completely different things. You can believe what you want, but I would stay away from making comments about other specialties in which you are not in.

How about you stick to IM and if you do end up in Allergy and Immunology, talk about that? You have received the same frosty comments from people in all these specialties because you are not in them.

Golden ticket? Probably not. A great job with regular hours, decent pay, procedures, clinic, and never having to work overnight or weekend again? Yes!!!

Maybe you should have gone to dental school? :laugh:

Like I told you before, read what I wrote. I NEVER said PMR is equal to derm, I said *PMR-PAIN*
And he did not say "presence" he said, "dominating" much of Georgia, which are completely different things. You can believe what you want, but I would stay away from making comments about other specialties in which you are not in.

How about you stick to IM and if you do end up in Allergy and Immunology, talk about that? You have received the same frosty comments from people in all these specialties because you are not in them.
I think I have a good enough grasp of the situation for cardiology since it's an IM subspecialty, and since I was going to apply throughout much of my first and second years. Job market is so-so at best, and no... no one in cardio gave me "frosty" comments. I have debated this with several of the fellows but we all know the situation and are in agreement.

I don't really comment on radiology, but job market speaks for itself, and they speak more about it than I do.

Anesthesia forum is more doom and gloom from their own attendings than anyone else.

Btw, your whole argument is flawed since you're also trying to compare PMR-pain to derm. Are you a dermatologist? No? Ok, then you probably shouldn't talk about dermatology since you know nothing about it, so you can't actually make any comparison.

Dental into orthodontics or maxillofacial is the way to go. It's competitive but those are solid gigs.

OMFS I agree with, but Ortho I don't. Ortho has changed significantly over the years, because the number of training spots has increased significantly and many ortho programs charge huge tuition. Imagine attending UPENN dental and then USC ortho:

http://www.dental.upenn.edu/academic_programs_admissions/dmd_program/tuition_fees

http://dentistry.usc.edu/programs/certificate/orthodontics/

Granted, these are the tuition/fees representative of private schools in general, but someone coming out of the aforementioned programs would owe 900K+ at the completion of his/her training. Check out the dental forums and you will find a number of people saying, "Ortho ain't what it used to be." So true.

OMFS, however, is still tops. As @OutRun would say, "disregard orthodontics--obtain OMFS certificate." So true.

OMFS I agree with, but Ortho I don't. Ortho has changed significantly over the years, because the number of training spots has increased significantly and many ortho programs charge huge tuition. Imagine attending UPENN dental and then USC ortho:

http://www.dental.upenn.edu/academic_programs_admissions/dmd_program/tuition_fees

http://dentistry.usc.edu/programs/certificate/orthodontics/

Granted, these are the tuition/fees representative of private schools in general, but someone coming out of the aforementioned programs would owe 900K+ at the completion of his/her training. Check out the dental forums and you will find a number of people saying, "Ortho ain't what it used to be." So true.

OMFS, however, is still tops. As @OutRun would say, "disregard orthodontics--obtain OMFS certificate." So true.

Yeah to reiterate my comparison is PMR-pain vs. lifestyle specialties in medicine (let's leave the ultra ultra competitive derm out for a sec)...Just considering a second option if derm doesn't work out is what's really the case. Seeing how demanding medicine is as a residency and training (my initial backup), I've appreciated what PMR-pain offers in entirety during residency and as a career...so I'd just like a glimpse of what PMR-pain offers.

When I started my practice 13 yrs ago, yes I did. And it worked.

bronx43, I'm gonna give you some advice here. Stop talking. You have been exposed to ONE practice situation. Do not try to generalize to the rest of the country or other practice models. You are at the point of your training that you don't know what you don't know. And that is what makes you dangerous. Because you truly have no idea what you are talking about.

In fact, this whole argument is dumb for any resident or med student to be discussing. NONE of us know what health care is going to be like in 10 yrs. Reimbursement changes every year. And if things continue as they have been, we are all going to be employees of the Federal government in 15 yrs (well, I'll be close to retirement).

But we will all still make a decent income. So do what you love. Wake up every day excited to go to work. Because you are going to be doing it for a long time.

When I started my practice 13 yrs ago, yes I did. And it worked.

bronx43, I'm gonna give you some advice here. Stop talking. You have been exposed to ONE practice situation. Do not try to generalize to the rest of the country or other practice models. You are at the point of your training that you don't know what you don't know. And that is what makes you dangerous. Because you truly have no idea what you are talking about.

In fact, this whole argument is dumb for any resident or med student to be discussing. NONE of us know what health care is going to be like in 10 yrs. Reimbursement changes every year. And if things continue as they have been, we are all going to be employees of the Federal government in 15 yrs (well, I'll be close to retirement).

But we will all still make a decent income. So do what you love. Wake up every day excited to go to work. Because you are going to be doing it for a long time.

I miss this thread. Choosing derm ;)...thanks for the feedback

I miss this thread. Choosing derm ;)...thanks for the feedback

Have fun with that... pimple popper MD. :happy:

B1JM0ppCcAAcxy2.jpg:large

Congrats on figuring it out friend! It seemed to me like you were leaning towards derm from the beginning and just exploring the other options. I remember reading this last year and thinking that if I had derm board scores the only thing that would change would be the places I interviewed at for PM&R. I don't know if you just matched or are gearing up for the match but good luck!