Depressive Episode

CookieDough1234

Reaction score
This is my first time browsing this thread. My situation of course pales in comparison to others…however I am having a bit of a depressive episode.

I’ve been dating someone from my class for the past year. It seemed like we were having a good year. We were “playing house” – I’d do the cooking, the cleaning, the sewing of holes in clothes. I was very happy doing these things. As things progressed we’d start talking about “future” oriented things... like our future dogs names, what our first dog together would be, what things would be like for us when we were older, how id react to a proposal, residencies, etc... Our friend had recently gotten engaged. He researched every single detail of her engagement ring....the name, maker, and everything and sent a picture of it to me. And I was thinking jeez I don’t even have the effort to find out the exact details of xyz’s ring. He would always say “I know I have it good.”

Before he left for summer break, I had more directly brought up, “Is a future for us something you’ve ever considered?” To which, like most guys, he reacted tongue tied. He said, “I enjoy what we have going on now, I’m not sure about the future.” Which is a totally acceptable answer. However he added, “I’m not sure if you’re the one for me.” I started crying after this, it filled me with a sense of inadequacy. I tried explaining how that could come off hurtful, especially to a female, he refused to see that. I told him to take time over break to reflect on what in his life he’d find most fulfilling.

When he got back to his home in another state, he went into a regressive state. His mother would wake him up with breakfast, and then he’d sit in front of a screen playing videogames all day. We facetimed, and he said that now he’s currently conflicted over our present relationship even though we agreed to be together and take our relationship day by day (he gave me his word) on a facetime we had had previously. It was a total flip. He’s saying he’s not sure if he wants it to continue. It felt like the carpet got ripped out from under me. I confronted him with the fact that he was using the defense mechanism of running away in response to fear and an uncomfortable feeling, I told him that was immature. I told him it was okay to feel fear and uncertainty, but our behaviors in response to that are what matter - you shouldn’t run away. He’d respond with accusatory remarks like “you can’t take what you said back” (as if I should feel sorry for having brought up the future, as if I did something wrong). I said, “Why are you taking this so darkly? You’re literally wallowing in negativity (his body language exuded it)” He responded with, “I can’t be happy and cheery like you all the time.” I said, “I’m not being happy and cheery, I’m just trying to communicate with you. This relationship is a 2 way street. It’s not fair for you to go running off and brooding as your thoughts might very well be distorted.” He said “I’m going to think what I want to think and feel what I want to feel.” Everything I said was met with an attack back. I said, “I spoke with 2 of my friends, they went through something a bit similar when the female brought up the future” his response was: “Oh so now you’re trying to compare us to everyone else?!” I’d say, “No, I’m trying to express that other people can empathize with the situation.” He said, “You know you’re right. Maybe I should be considering the future now. I should make a split decision about our relationship right now. What if I can?” I told him “There’s no reason to make split decisions now. We have plenty of time.” Literally everything I said was met with an accusatory remark or an attack back, or somehow a gloomy and dark response. I’d ask him if he missed me, he responded with “no not really. The only reason I’m even on the phone with you at all is to show you a bit of respect.” It was incredibly hurtful to hear that. He’s been literally wallowing in negativity and making this whole thing so dark. He’s having a weird psychological conflict in his head and he’s expressing absolutely no empathy. He had the nerve to make fun of and mock 2 of my friends who were doing research for the summer, saying “I can’t imagine THEM doing that.” And I was thinking, “at least they’re being constructive with their summer instead of sitting in front of videogame screen becoming numb.” He refuses to communicate. He said he needed his space, I’m not going to check in anymore. I stopped all form of contact with him.

During the summer I was looking for housing for him and his three other roommates, since only one of them was actively looking. He decided to not come up here to help out, which I found weird since he doesn’t live THAT far away. The only time I received any time of active response back to messages was in reference to when I was looking for his housing. He wouldn’t ever thank me or show appreciation. He’d say “well I never asked you to do this.” I obviously stopped doing it. All of his belongings/apartment stuff is currently stored in my apartment until he finds a new place.

There’s a lot of psychological terms that can be used for the whole thing... projections, when one can’t handle some sort of discomfort or guilt, they project “blame” on to someone else so they don’t have to deal with it themselves, followed by distancing. But it’s really a regressive / more immature psychological thing to do, more expected of a 14 year old. That’s the thing though, he enters a regressive state when he goes home to his mother. It’s easier for him to put all of the “devaluing” on me so he doesn’t have to hold himself accountable. He’s not handling any of this in a normal, healthy fashion.

To add some background: he is the oldest of three brothers. His mother is Vietnamese, his father is French. He constantly complained of his mother being hypercritical and gossipy (when we all went out to eat once, his mother started up with the waitress to complain about her pad thai. She told the waitress “My neighbor is thai I know what real pad thai tastes like.” He explained it’s always hard to go out to eat with her because she behaves like this every time. On a completely different occasion, I one time stated sometimes we find certain traits that our parents have in our partners and he’d say “I’m with you because you’re nothing like her”) His father spends the majority of his time distancing himself from his wife and family, he spends a lot of time half way around the world working. I am his first relationship, something I and my parents found odd for a 23 year old guy.

There were some red flags throughout the year that I tried to squelch in order to maintain the illusion of my happy little fantasy. To name a few:

1. He’s a 23 year old guy. I asked once if I could come to visit him in Virginia and stay over for a night. He said he wouldn’t even ask his mother, as it was “her house her rules”. If I were to make the 4 hour drive to visit, I wouldn’t be allowed to spend the night, not even on the couch. I mentioned this to my parents. My dad said, “it’s weird that he’s not even embarrassed to say that to you.”

2. He doesn’t have any friends. None from undergrad or high school. Those he was friendly with here at the dental school were through me. He was always a loner who drowned himself in videogames. Everyone knew him as the “serious and quiet guy”.

3. When intimate, he wouldn’t like kissing. He would expect me to do certain things for him without reciprocation. I’d feel awful asking if he could kiss me.

My parents and friends know this is going on. They say he has a lot more issues than the average person does. I logically know that I don’t deserve to be treated like this. However, even with that being said, I’m still in a tremendous state of pain. I feel incredibly empty, as if there’s a void. My mind keeps on reflecting back to “good” times. I feel like I don’t really have a sense of self. I feel like I’m not whole without another person/him there.

Members don't see this ad.

He's taking advantage of the fact that you don't feel whole without another person in your life (which is something you yourself have to work on, but digress), and he's acting like a child who is using you as 1) an emotional tampon and 2) a surrogate mother who will take care of his needs. Not a adult man who is going through tough times and trying to work together with his partner in a mature fashion.

My advice? Completely extricate yourself from this situation before it hurts you more. Tell him he has two week to move his stuff to storage or else it's you're going to have movers come pick it up and take it to the dump. His inability to find a place to live out of laziness is not your concern. He needs to sack up and be an adult. Find a solid group of friends and activities that can fill the social gap in your life and work on feeling more independent. The faster you get out of this, the faster you can heal and start working on yourself.

Reactions: 2 users
He's taking advantage of the fact that you don't feel whole without another person in your life (which is something you yourself have to work on, but digress), and he's acting like a child who is using you as 1) an emotional tampon and 2) a surrogate mother who will take care of his needs. Not a adult man who is going through tough times and trying to work together with his partner in a mature fashion.

My advice? Completely extricate yourself from this situation before it hurts you more. Tell him he has two week to move his stuff to storage or else it's you're going to have movers come pick it up and take it to the dump. His inability to find a place to live out of laziness is not your concern. He needs to sack up and be an adult. Find a solid group of friends and activities that can fill the social gap in your life and work on feeling more independent. The faster you get out of this, the faster you can heal and start working on yourself.

Thank you so much for your feedback. I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to SDN! I'm sorry you had to join in turbulent times, but I hope this place can be a resource for you, academically and sometimes socially. :)

2. He doesn’t have any friends. None from undergrad or high school.
I'm making my way through your post, but this so far is the weirdest thing I've read so far. That's crazy weird to have "no" friends from undergrad or high school. I mean, I was nerdy in K-12 but had zero issue making frands from diverse backgrounds, cliques be damned. I think the "no friends" thing is a bigger red flag than being 23 and first serious relationship.

3. When intimate, he wouldn’t like kissing. He would expect me to do certain things for him without reciprocation. I’d feel awful asking if he could kiss me.
I'm sure the ship's sailed, but this makes me sad. I don't think this is healthy or what any sane person would want in a relationship. But that's just me projecting.

My parents and friends know this is going on. They say he has a lot more issues than the average person does. I logically know that I don’t deserve to be treated like this. However, even with that being said, I’m still in a tremendous state of pain. I feel incredibly empty, as if there’s a void. My mind keeps on reflecting back to “good” times. I feel like I don’t really have a sense of self. I feel like I’m not whole without another person/him there.
Awww, this one sucks. I don't think you'll be able to heal and work on your own sense of independence and self-worth until there's a clean break from this guy (and his stuff) and you can move forward to heal.
---------------

Strategically, it seems like a poorly planned move (on his part) to treat you like crap and be such a strange, distant jerk while his personal belongings are still at your place. Maybe I've seen too much Judge Judy, but if you were a crazy, vindictive b* (and I don't recommend sinking to this level), there's nothing stopping you from bleaching all his clothes/suits, destroying all his expensive gear/tools/etc. or selling/trashing/throwing it out. Maybe I'm materialistic and/or old and have a lot of accumulated **** now.

His loss. If he really IS on summer break and only 4 hours away, I agree with setting a firm date for his stuff to GTFO. August 15? August 20? Whatever you want. Or else you're putting it on the curb with a "free" sign or whatever. (I am not a lawyer...I don't know the legalities in your state or if he's a co-tenant at your apartment, so CYA and check that this is legal.)

But yeah, you gotta move on, and you can't move on if his crap is holding you hostage even if you've cut off communication. You don't want this funk and emptiness affecting your school this fall and your own emotional/psychological well-being.

Bestest of luck, and good things will come your way. :luck:

PS. Nice username. :hungry:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
very short answer: DTMFA

Longer answer: it sounds like first of all he is super young, and second of all even for his age he is very immature. It does not sound like he is ready for the level of commitment you are hoping for. It also sounds like perhaps you could stand to work on developing some assertiveness, so that you don't feel you have to accept such terrible treatment.

Thank you all for these responses. I tremendously appreciate it.

In terms of the "no friends" comment: he had people he was "Friendly" with, no one that he maintained substantial friendships with. No one he still keeps in contact with.

I logically know I don't deserve this but emotionally I'm so wounded. I wake up crying when everything hits me, as I move throughout the day I feel a bit better but I feel like I can't FULLY enjoy anything because the pain is there. And at night I feel great as sleep comes... and then the vicious cycle continues. I've been speaking to the therapist at my school. I'm also fortunate that my dad practices therapy in addition to medicine and my sister is a psychotherapist.

How do I go about this "healing"? The pain sucks and renders me useless sometimes. I feel better after working out. Does anyone have any suggestions on developing a sense of self?

I also keep on getting scared about the upcoming school year. I'm surrounded by people dating in our class. We used to do things as couples. I defined my whole year by the "enjoyment" with him. I'm going to be confronted with his face everyday.

Welcome to SDN! I'm sorry you had to join in turbulent times, but I hope this place can be a resource for you, academically and sometimes socially. :)

I'm making my way through your post, but this so far is the weirdest thing I've read so far. That's crazy weird to have "no" friends from undergrad or high school. I mean, I was nerdy in K-12 but had zero issue making frands from diverse backgrounds, cliques be damned. I think the "no friends" thing is a bigger red flag than being 23 and first serious relationship.

I'm sure the ship's sailed, but this makes me sad. I don't think this is healthy or what any sane person would want in a relationship. But that's just me projecting.

Awww, this one sucks. I don't think you'll be able to heal and work on your own sense of independence and self-worth until there's a clean break from this guy (and his stuff) and you can move forward to heal.
---------------

Strategically, it seems like a poorly planned move (on his part) to treat you like crap and be such a strange, distant jerk while his personal belongings are still at your place. Maybe I've seen too much Judge Judy, but if you were a crazy, vindictive b* (and I don't recommend sinking to this level), there's nothing stopping you from bleaching all his clothes/suits, destroying all his expensive gear/tools/etc. or selling/trashing/throwing it out. Maybe I'm materialistic and/or old and have a lot of accumulated **** now.

His loss. If he really IS on summer break and only 4 hours away, I agree with setting a firm date for his stuff to GTFO. August 15? August 20? Whatever you want. Or else you're putting it on the curb with a "free" sign or whatever. (I am not a lawyer...I don't know the legalities in your state or if he's a co-tenant at your apartment, so CYA and check that this is legal.)

But yeah, you gotta move on, and you can't move on if his crap is holding you hostage even if you've cut off communication. You don't want this funk and emptiness affecting your school this fall and your own emotional/psychological well-being.

Bestest of luck, and good things will come your way. :luck:

PS. Nice username. :hungry:

Also know he's not living with me... he was just storing his apartment stuff at my place until an apartment was found for him to live in for the school year

It sounds like you are missing the comfort of having another person in your life more that missing him specifically. That is, it is the change itself that is making you sad, not him. Does that kind of make sense? I can tell because you talk much more about feeling alone versus "these are all the specific characteristics I will miss about him".

Side note on the friends thing...I don't keep in contact with anyone from high school, college, or even vet school other than being friends with a few on Facebook. I wouldn't consider any of them friends, merely acquaintances. I don't think that's too weird...but then again, I'm pretty introverted socially. I just have a very small social circle that usually only consists of whoever I am currently working with. But the rest....yeah, this guy is a tool.

You gotta get rid of his stuff. He sounds like he needs his mommy to find him a place and who knows when that is going to happen. You might be stuck storing his stuff for free for quite awhile and that's going to drive you up the walls, both seeing him around AND seeing his stuff at home.

Do you have friends? Clubs, activities? That might be the first thing to start really cultivating so you can feel less alone.

Trust me, the pain does go away. I guarantee it.

It sounds like you are missing the comfort of having another person in your life more that missing him specifically. That is, it is the change itself that is making you sad, not him. Does that kind of make sense? I can tell because you talk much more about feeling alone versus "these are all the specific characteristics I will miss about him".

Side note on the friends thing...I don't keep in contact with anyone from high school, college, or even vet school other than being friends with a few on Facebook. I wouldn't consider any of them friends, merely acquaintances. I don't think that's too weird...but then again, I'm pretty introverted socially. I just have a very small social circle that usually only consists of whoever I am currently working with. But the rest....yeah, this guy is a tool.

You gotta get rid of his stuff. He sounds like he needs his mommy to find him a place and who knows when that is going to happen. You might be stuck storing his stuff for free for quite awhile and that's going to drive you up the walls, both seeing him around AND seeing his stuff at home.

Do you have friends? Clubs, activities? That might be the first thing to start really cultivating so you can feel less alone.

Trust me, the pain does go away. I guarantee it.

He's leaving finding a place to live to one of his 4 roommates. The roommate texted me the other day asking where he was. I said sitting at home playing video games and/or streaming & watching people play video games. (yet still he had the nerve to make fun of my two friends who wanted to have a productive summer and do research!!! and I always found it strange that during free time at school he'd spend hours streaming people playing video games and watching)

That's the thing, in my mind I'm reflecting on the "good times" and that's what causes me the pain. The silly things he did, the little notes he left, the things he'd do for me... But I'm realizing I was in a relationship with a narcissist who idealized me and then devalued me. I do have friends and activities. I've been assistant teaching at the this summer and it's been incredibly rewarding. The students tell me every time I approach them that I soothe their anxiety and I'm really easy to talk to. One of the students told me the guys refer to me as "the hot TA" (not that that means much but it was a nice self esteem boost). I love working out and spending time with my parents and dogs. My friends are supportive. It's just I know the upcoming year is gonna be weird because we used to do things as couples in the class... I don't wanna feel left out. (Even though I know their relationships ain't perfect and won't last). Also gossip spreads in my class like wildfire and things get distorted easily.

I've been reflecting on a lot of things... random streams of consciousness...
He resented any time I did better than him, he resented how I was super close and friendly to my professors, he resented that when I’d go to review my practicals and got points back, he’d say it was because I “had a fat ass” and “not because of merit”. Because every time he’d go to get points back he wouldn’t. He was super close to getting an A in one of our labs once... I'd say "hey try one last shot and go get your last practical reviewed." I'd be met with "he only gives points back to you because he likes you." (he'd give points back to anyone that was deserving according to the rubrics and if he saw fit). I told the professor there was a student who'd like his last practical reviewed. the professor said "sure ___, send him my way". He got points back and got an A in the class. Couldn't bring himself to thank me or appreciate what happened.

Yet somehow my mind goes to "I miss the times we cuddled on snow days" and "how we'd share coffee in morning lecture" and "how he changed my windshield wipers" that's what causes me more pain.

I appreciate all your responses. It's great to know I can have an outlet to vent to and know that others have gone through similar things. I really sincerely do appreciate all of the responses.

Reminds me of the time I threw my ex’s stuff on the sidewalk and sidelawn: furniture, clothing, personal effects, etc. He cheated on me and lied about a car title and property deed. I told him he had 24 hours to retrieve his crap or else the prostitutes, drug dealers and homeless in the hood would be taking it all. mofo was lucky I didnt throw gasoline on it and toss a match

Married now, happy as a lark and the ex sent me an email recently after 15 years.
Deleted that beatch and told my husband

yeah, the pain goes away
Life goes on. Treat yourself like the Queen that you are, baby.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Although I am very happy you are happy now!

Even just this morning I woke up and was like ugggggggh the good times felt soooo good how could this happen :cryi::(

I've been reflecting on a lot of things... random streams of consciousness...
He resented any time I did better than him, he resented how I was super close and friendly to my professors, he resented that when I’d go to review my practicals and got points back, he’d say it was because I “had a fat ass” and “not because of merit”. Because every time he’d go to get points back he wouldn’t. He was super close to getting an A in one of our labs once... I'd say "hey try one last shot and go get your last practical reviewed." I'd be met with "he only gives points back to you because he likes you." (he'd give points back to anyone that was deserving according to the rubrics and if he saw fit). I told the professor there was a student who'd like his last practical reviewed. the professor said "sure ___, send him my way". He got points back and got an A in the class. Couldn't bring himself to thank me or appreciate what happened

Good God, what an immature asshat.

Try not to let yourself fall into the trap of idealizing good times as "true" good times. From the sound of it, all of those "good times" were things he did not because he truly cared about you, but because he was trying to manipulate you into sticking around and putting up with his ****. No man who truly cared about his partner would speak to them like the above. Perhaps it would help to look at them in that perspective - they were insincere gestures borne out of manipulation. Of course they felt nice...but I guarantee they would feel better coming from someone who actually meant it! Again, it sounds like you are missing the actions, not the person. You'll find someone who does those same things and who actually means them.

I'm glad you have outlets and everything else in your life seems to be going all right. Keep at it.

In terms of gossip and distortion...if he acts like this with you, I guarantee he acts like this with other people and they will more than likely be able to see through any shade he throws your way. The best thing is taking the high road.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I told him yesterday “I’m not putting up with this silent treatment. There’s a difference between “space” and this. I can’t be a storage space for your stuff. Come get it by the end of the week.”

The only response I got was “I’ll be there to move it out this weekend”

You’re right, it doesn’t exist and that’s the part I have trouble comprehending. How did I create this whole fantasy world that doesn’t truly exist? How did I get myself into this mess of excusing the devaluation and becoming addicted to the idealizations. It seems I was in a “relationship” with someone with a personality disorder... a malignant narcissist... and I lost myself through it.

The “good times” are a lie that your brain tells you are true. The person you thought he was is a lie. That person does not exist. He’s malignant and immature. Drop him.

The “good times” are a lie that your brain tells you are true. The person you thought he was is a lie. That person does not exist. He’s malignant and immature. Drop him.

Sent
part

And with that being said, I’m trying to cope with the fact that I can’t save him and can’t “open his eyes” no matter how desperately I want to

The social dynamic of the school is so frustrating also... I already had one insensitive jerk come up to me saying “hey I heard you and xyz broke up”... I proceeded to go into a bathroom stall and start crying. I know I have to see his face everyday.

I hate the physical toll this has taken on me... my loss of appetite... nausea... I’m trying so damn hard to feel whole again but I feel so broken. All my “joy” in cooking was for him and now I have zero desire.

I once again have to thank all of you for being so supportive and empathetic.

You’re right, it doesn’t exist and that’s the part I have trouble comprehending. How did I create this whole fantasy world that doesn’t truly exist? How did I get myself into this mess of excusing the devaluation and becoming addicted to the idealizations. It seems I was in a “relationship” with someone with a personality disorder... a malignant narcissist... and I lost myself through it.

Last edited:
Hey, I think we’ve all been there. Don’t beat yourself up for not realizing sooner that this guy wasn’t treating you well. Being in love can blind us all. And when it comes to “developing a sense of self,” that’s a lifelong process that sometimes has periods of regression and progress. Just take each day slowly, make yourself remember to eat and take care of your physical needs, and bear in mind even if you get an emotional setback one day this is not going to last forever. You seem really nice and smart, I’m sure you will find someone great one day .

He and his brother came to move his stuff out today. I thank you all for being so supportive and encouraging me to end it and have him get his stuff out. I texted him a week ago saying "I'm done with this silent treatment. I'm not a storage place for your stuff. Come get it by the end of the week or it's going into storage." He responded 6 hours later saying he would. Literally, if I didn't speak up about him getting his stuff out, he would have left it here until it was time for him to move into his apartment.

When he was here, I confronted him on "what type of man acts like this/treats someone who's supposed to be his significant other like this?" His response was "you’re telling me I’m not a man and demasculating me. So I'm not a male now is that it?!"
The whole demasculization comment thing was weird... he said “am I not a male now? You’re saying I’m not” and I was like this isn’t a gender thing its a maturity thing. Which I thought was weird.

Every thing I said was met with an attack back. I'd try to rationalize, and conceptualize, he literally could not. It was actually quite fascinating. I actually recorded the whole thing. I confronted him on him making me feel like **** this whole summer his response: "oh that's just how you interpreted it that's not my fault." Me: acting as if my existence didn't matter is incredibly hurtful. When I called to check in and tried to communicate with you and you telling me "I'm only on the phone with you to show you a bit of respect" right, that's not hurtful." him: "oh you're just cherry picking things."

I actually said did you ever love me? He goes well yeah but I fell out of love with you several months ago. I felt something deep down inside me about the core of our relationship. I was like oooh really... riiiight... so we were just continuing on our merry way for several months.... with no mention of this "conflict you had about the core of our relationship".... makes sense.

"You're not even a little upset by the death of a relationship?" him: Nope! Especially not after what YOU said about me not being a man

He proceeded to ask me if I wanted him to install my new router. also weird. I was like wtf no... bizarre

My dad had actually predicted him saying "oh the relationship was over months ago" (typical Narc. PD)

Anyway. The cancer is gone. I'm accepting this whole "relationship" never really existed, it was a facade/a lie. I'm over the wanting him back part. Now trying to deal with the moments when I'm alone and feeling lonely and I guess the pain from everything... and the time when I'm not at yoga, or working out, or working. What to do/think while I'm in the "in between" times of doing things or being with people. I recently got closer with one of my girlfriends at school. She actually just went through a breakup with a classmate that's living right under her (they share a house). Her relationship was three months and no where near as pathological as this, but it's nice to have someone. We went for coffee today and we're going to work out tomorrow.

I also went on a date recently. I was asked out to coffee by a software engineer from undergrad which ended up turning into dinner. My heart hasn't been fully in going on dates but I'm like I should really go and put myself out there. He was nice, handsome. He said he looked up terminology in relation to my medical field before coming which I thought was funny/cute. I'm definitely not infatuated (granted I suppose creating an infatuation with someone before you even actually know them isn't right). I'm just like super scared and uncertain of myself. I banged out all the questions on the first date: what's your relationship like with your parents, what do they do, how do you feel about them, how do you feel about living at home, what do you do when stressed, etc etc etc. We have another one planned for me to meet his dogs.

He and his brother came to move his stuff out today. I thank you all for being so supportive and encouraging me to end it and have him get his stuff out. I texted him a week ago saying "I'm done with this silent treatment. I'm not a storage place for your stuff. Come get it by the end of the week or it's going into storage." He responded 6 hours later saying he would. Literally, if I didn't speak up about him getting his stuff out, he would have left it here until it was time for him to move into his apartment.

When he was here, I confronted him on "what type of man acts like this/treats someone who's supposed to be his significant other like this?" His response was "you’re telling me I’m not a man and demasculating me. So I'm not a male now is that it?!"
The whole demasculization comment thing was weird... he said “am I not a male now? You’re saying I’m not” and I was like this isn’t a gender thing its a maturity thing. Which I thought was weird.

Every thing I said was met with an attack back. I'd try to rationalize, and conceptualize, he literally could not. It was actually quite fascinating. I actually recorded the whole thing. I confronted him on him making me feel like **** this whole summer his response: "oh that's just how you interpreted it that's not my fault." Me: acting as if my existence didn't matter is incredibly hurtful. When I called to check in and tried to communicate with you and you telling me "I'm only on the phone with you to show you a bit of respect" right, that's not hurtful." him: "oh you're just cherry picking things."

I actually said did you ever love me? He goes well yeah but I fell out of love with you several months ago. I felt something deep down inside me about the core of our relationship. I was like oooh really... riiiight... so we were just continuing on our merry way for several months.... with no mention of this "conflict you had about the core of our relationship".... makes sense.

"You're not even a little upset by the death of a relationship?" him: Nope! Especially not after what YOU said about me not being a man

He proceeded to ask me if I wanted him to install my new router. also weird. I was like wtf no... bizarre

My dad had actually predicted him saying "oh the relationship was over months ago" (typical Narc. PD)

Anyway. The cancer is gone. I'm accepting this whole "relationship" never really existed, it was a facade/a lie. I'm over the wanting him back part. Now trying to deal with the moments when I'm alone and feeling lonely and I guess the pain from everything... and the time when I'm not at yoga, or working out, or working. What to do/think while I'm in the "in between" times of doing things or being with people. I recently got closer with one of my girlfriends at school. She actually just went through a breakup with a classmate that's living right under her (they share a house). Her relationship was three months and no where near as pathological as this, but it's nice to have someone. We went for coffee today and we're going to work out tomorrow.

I also went on a date recently. I was asked out to coffee by a software engineer from undergrad which ended up turning into dinner. My heart hasn't been fully in going on dates but I'm like I should really go and put myself out there. He was nice, handsome. He said he looked up terminology in relation to my medical field before coming which I thought was funny/cute. I'm definitely not infatuated (granted I suppose creating an infatuation with someone before you even actually know them isn't right). I'm just like super scared and uncertain of myself. I banged out all the questions on the first date: what's your relationship like with your parents, what do they do, how do you feel about them, how do you feel about living at home, what do you do when stressed, etc etc etc. We have another one planned for me to meet his dogs.

You sound like you’re interviewing your date, and still obsessing over what your ex said. Chill. Just take it easy :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Very weird. I almost think he deliberately misinterpreted what you were saying in a manipulative, Axis II way. Just twist your words and misstate things intentionally. Good riddance.

Good luck.

Very weird. I almost think he deliberately misinterpreted what you were saying in a manipulative, Axis II way. Just twist your words and misstate things intentionally. Good riddance.

Good luck.

That's exactly what my dad was saying. 0 empathy. In fact he walked into my apartment smirking at me, then sat down arms crossed. He literally could not express any guilt for treating me the way he did while also using me as a storage space. Anytime I brought up things that were hurtful I was met with "oh you're cherry picking things." When he decided to run off and give me silent treatment and acting as if my existence didn't matter all summer I said certainly you were cherry picking things. "You don't feel in the slightest bit bad?! When someone tells you you hurt them you can't decide that you didn't" "No, not after what YOU did!" "What in the world did I do besides tolerate this for so long. I was sitting on my butt all summer in pain and crying myself to sleep after being shut down after every time I tried to communicate with you. Yeah I have my flaws, I certainly ain't perfect but..." I was trying to rationalize with someone who completely closed his mind off. My father pretty much predicted his behavior and responses to a T that's how textbook NPD it was. (He practices therapy).

I'm transitioning my mindset (work in progress) of why can't I save him/why can't he see how great I am to "he doesn't deserve me".

Currently trying to plug along day by day... mourning a fantasy relationship that didn't actually exist. I was looking at him the whole time like "who is this stranger" / this whole "Relationship" has been a lie. It's a very hard thing to wrap your head around. I just know this whole year will be very different from the day to day "playing house" (which I miss) but I hope in a very good way. But I've definitely learned from it... next time I'm with someone and if there's "wtf" moments I'm telling someone (like my parents) about it and not keeping it to myself.

I'm so glad you are working on moving on! Learning to be comfortable and happy by yourself is an important part of learning how to be secure in relationships.

I'm so glad you are working on moving on! Learning to be comfortable and happy by yourself is an important part of learning how to be secure in relationships.

I'm really trying. Like I've been broken up with before and have broken up with someone before. This whole thing was just so pathological it's thrown me for a loop. I sometimes have crippling depression, and the only thing I look forward to at the end of the day is sleeping, but when I'm with my friends I feel better. Some days definitely feel better than others.

I'm nervous about school starting to be honest, and having to see him everyday. It would be so much easier without him there. I feel like it's going to be tearing a wound open again that I've partially healed this summer - watching his face go from excitement when he saw me walking in with coffee but now to complete apathy or a hostile smirk...from plopping down next to me in class to now feeling his presence somewhere behind me. I'm so incredibly sensitive. But people at school know... they shake their head at him (but also my lack of sense of self/self worth but they understand that they weren't the ones who were emotionally invested in it).

One of his 4 roommates withdrew from their lease. He had one roommate call me up to see if I knew anything about it/had anything to do with it. I said I had no idea even though the roommate that withdrew confided in me that he wasn't 100% comfortable living with them anymore. (My ex had said while he was sitting at home playing videogames and I was searching for housing for him, that this one guy should be the one to get screwed over in terms of housing and be forced to take the smallest room since he wasn't contributing towards the housing search. I kept on thinking how ironic that was since my ex wasn't contributing and he had the nerve to say that.) The roommate that called me is notorious for being an a-hole (he reports people for cheating that did better than him, even though they didn't cheat). I'm certain my ex will end up clinging to him and mirroring him.

My class is filled with some veeeeeerrrrryyy interesting people.......

What I also find weird is usually after breaking up with someone, you want distance, you don't want to see what that person is doing everyday. He ritually checks my snap and instagram stories to see what I'm doing every day. I certainly don't check up on what he's doing. I suppose it's not that weird though if you're referring back to NPD.

Extremely eternally grateful for this online support <3

I have an update...

It's really hard being back at school. I feel compelled to go to him, or he draws me in somehow.
I have interacted with him a few times. He flips between devaluations: "I sleep fine at night/I feel no guilt" and then using a cutesy baby voice and farting and old references to draw me back in... it’s weird.

It's on me to stop going and interacting with him but it's hard not to. It's an addiction. I'm causing my own pain at this point...

I have no appetite... I've lost about 13 lbs. Studying and being with friends helps. They know what's going on. The only thing I've been truly looking forward to is sleeping at the end of the day.

I'm going to be speaking to a therapist outside of school.

I have an update...

It's really hard being back at school. I feel compelled to go to him, or he draws me in somehow.
I have interacted with him a few times. He flips between devaluations: "I sleep fine at night/I feel no guilt" and then using a cutesy baby voice and farting and old references to draw me back in... it’s weird.

It's on me to stop going and interacting with him but it's hard not to. It's an addiction. I'm causing my own pain at this point...

I have no appetite... I've lost about 13 lbs. Studying and being with friends helps. They know what's going on. The only thing I've been truly looking forward to is sleeping at the end of the day.

I'm going to be speaking to a therapist outside of school.

Get thee to a therapist and cold turkey avoid this person.

If you are not sure about your relationship with him, you should make an effort to do because waiting and doing nothing will eventually break you and would also make you regret all your life. You can, in this case, consult a psychic like Voyante Sérieuse(martine-voyance) who can see your future through their psychic abilities and can tell you he would stay in your life or not. The psychic will give you the details about that person and the decision would be yours if you want to stay in that relationship or not.

If you are not sure about your relationship with him, you should make an effort to do because waiting and doing nothing will eventually break you and would also make you regret all your life. You can, in this case, consult a psychic like Voyante Sérieuse(martine-voyance) who can see your future through their psychic abilities and can tell you he would stay in your life or not. The psychic will give you the details about that person and the decision would be yours if you want to stay in that relationship or not.

Yeah, no.