*depressed* just switched services

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raDiOnut

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm an EMT-b and just switched EMS services and wondering if anyone had a similar experience. I worked for the public service in my small rural county for just over 1yr, but finally decided that I didn't need to put up with all their bs. Last week mgmt gave us a memo stating that all diabetic patients were to be placed in the rigs and transport initiated PRIOR TO ANY Pt care! Talk about a lawsuit waiting to happen... My old service also required all emt-b's to state that an ALS assessment was done on all pts, whether or not a complete ALS assessment was done. The service had a lot more problems, mainly coming from mgmt.

SO, I wrote a letter of resignation, and within a day, had a job offer from the private service in the same county and a 36hr/wk schedule (what i wanted) for the next month. It's just rough because my new service is the arch-enemy of the public service and it's likely that many of my old medics/partners won't talk to me again. Sounds silly, but that's how it is out here...

just letting off some good old EMS steam...

raDiOnut

Members don't see this ad.

i moved around between 3 different services in town because of management problems, and always got flak from employees of the services I left

EMS - especially in smaller areas - is like one big dyfunctional family. There are always some family members who won't talk to other family members. People fight over silly things, spread rumors about each other, and complain about favoritism. Many members seem to be co-dependent or enabling others in their personal dysfunctions. Of course, there are the well-respected patriarchs/matriarchs who help bond the whole family together.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
we have a rival service in our area too but over the years we have managed to find a peaceful coexistance between the grunts and let the management do the gnashing of teeth and backbiting.

I speak to the other service medics especially if I know them and even if I don't. It works out well for all involved.

If your former buddies give you flak......just smile and still talk to them..don't hang your head...that will just give them ammo to attack.
Be polite and speak to them at all times when appropriate. It will make them look bad if they don't return the favor.

I had a similar experience but in a different way. I worked for a hospital based Critical Care Transport team. The hospital was very well know system in the Northeast. They sold out their EMS division to a large private ambulance company and the level of care plummetted. I had all sorts of equipment failure that the management refused to address. Finally I couldn't accept the liabilty to RN license so I left. Took me all of three hours to get another job. Shame though I liked the old outfit.

MedicCCTRN said:
I had a similar experience but in a different way. I worked for a hospital based Critical Care Transport team. The hospital was very well know system in the Northeast. They sold out their EMS division to a large private ambulance company and the level of care plummetted.

Hmmm... CHS to Hunter???? :smuggrin: