DePaul University vs. Benedictine University for Pre-Dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sags2riches

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am currently a freshman at the University of Miami in Coral Gables, Florida. After much deliberation with my family I have decided that transferring might be a solid idea as I miss home. I am a Chicago native and am looking into programs that will fulfill my pre-requisites for Dental School. My major is Broadcast Journalism, but my end goal is Dentistry. I have applied to UIC, DePaul, and Benedictine for transfer admission. But, after more research I have basically narrowed my decision down to DePaul and Benedictine. My parents are really fond of Benedictine because apparently they are really good in teaching the Sciences, or so they have heard. Now, I am not sure that is such a great idea. I am of Indian descent and Benedictine is a majority Asian school. I feel when it comes time to apply to D-School that I will not be able to stand out in a crowd of people who are of the same ethnicity.

Now, I am leaning towards DePaul because first it still is a University with a college atmosphere. It is in the city and not the suburbs. Not as many Indians in their pre-health programs so I can stand out. More room to climb the ladder in clubs and activities because not as many students in pre-health. More accreditation in general than Benedictine.

Also, would you say if I was trying to go to an elite Dental School, theoretically let us just say like Harvard or UCLA for example, would they look at the reputability of both schools? And, will they care that I transferred from the University of Miami which still has a somewhat solid reputation to what people would call no-name schools such as Benedictine or DePaul?

I am so thoroughly confused on what is the best course of action to take at this point, and I could really use some help clearing up the decision. My parents way of thinking is that since I went to the University of Miami and was not too fond of the college atmosphere, that I should not be thinking about having any fun in college and just about getting the grades in my Science courses and getting into Dental School. But, I feel like at a place such as Benedictine where a majority of students are pre-med/ pre-dent, I will not have the opportunity to network with students of other races and other paths of life. Do not get me wrong, I love my culture, I just do not affiliate with it as much as other people do as I find there can be a lot of gossip, unnecessary competition, and a general expectation that you only hang out with other members of that niche community. Any comments, facts, or opinions are welcomed. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

In reality, where you go for undergrad has no bearing on your successful entry to dental school. Like the above poster said, it us what you make of it. Do well, study with like minded individuals, get involved around campus, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, so I went to DePaul University and currently I am starting dental school in the Fall. I can say without a doubt that DePaul is the better choice. The quarter system challenges you to stay on top of your studies. The science program is rigorous but totally doable. If you want culture and college life along with a great education DePaul is where its at.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello. I am currently a freshman at the University of Miami in Coral Gables, Florida. After much deliberation with my family I have decided that transferring might be a solid idea as I miss home. I am a Chicago native and am looking into programs that will fulfill my pre-requisites for Dental School. My major is Broadcast Journalism, but my end goal is Dentistry. I have applied to UIC, DePaul, and Benedictine for transfer admission. But, after more research I have basically narrowed my decision down to DePaul and Benedictine. My parents are really fond of Benedictine because apparently they are really good in teaching the Sciences, or so they have heard. Now, I am not sure that is such a great idea. I am of Indian descent and Benedictine is a majority Asian school. I feel when it comes time to apply to D-School that I will not be able to stand out in a crowd of people who are of the same ethnicity.

Now, I am leaning towards DePaul because first it still is a University with a college atmosphere. It is in the city and not the suburbs. Not as many Indians in their pre-health programs so I can stand out. More room to climb the ladder in clubs and activities because not as many students in pre-health. More accreditation in general than Benedictine.

Also, would you say if I was trying to go to an elite Dental School, theoretically let us just say like Harvard or UCLA for example, would they look at the reputability of both schools? And, will they care that I transferred from the University of Miami which still has a somewhat solid reputation to what people would call no-name schools such as Benedictine or DePaul?

I am so thoroughly confused on what is the best course of action to take at this point, and I could really use some help clearing up the decision. My parents way of thinking is that since I went to the University of Miami and was not too fond of the college atmosphere, that I should not be thinking about having any fun in college and just about getting the grades in my Science courses and getting into Dental School. But, I feel like at a place such as Benedictine where a majority of students are pre-med/ pre-dent, I will not have the opportunity to network with students of other races and other paths of life. Do not get me wrong, I love my culture, I just do not affiliate with it as much as other people do as I find there can be a lot of gossip, unnecessary competition, and a general expectation that you only hang out with other members of that niche community. Any comments, facts, or opinions are welcomed. Thank you!

@Sags2riches I attended UIC my freshman year (Bio major, Pre- Dent) then transferred out to Benedictine University (Health Science major, Pre- Dent) my sophomore year and now I'm finishing up with my junior year, and transferring to Benedictine was one of the best decisions I made mainly because of the teaching style they have here compared to UIC. Everyone's a different type of student, but the large class sizes were not working out for me. Professors were nearly impossible to set up appointments with, and TA's were little to no help. Many of my professors came to UIC for research; teaching was basically their second job and they did not seem passionate about it at all. UIC was a tough transition, for me at least. I then transferred to BU, and even though it wasn't a city school with the big name and the big university reputation, it was the best decision academically - small class sizes, professors have much more availability, a tight knit student population, and the dental club here helped a ton in assisting me through the troubles of undergrad to guide me to the fastest path to dental school by keeping me involved (inside and outside of school) and informed all the time.

Being of Indian descent, I found myself at home here because, as you mentioned, the large Indian/Muslim population at BU. As far as standing out goes, BU helps a ton with its Health Science Recommendation Committee (HSRC), research opportunities, the numerous clubs and groups one can be a part of, work/volunteering opportunities, and the list goes on... but if standing out from the Indian population as a whole is a priority for you, then I would not recommend BU for you. You also mentioned the fact that DePaul will have more room to climb the ladder in clubs and activities because not as many students in pre-health, which is also correct. BU has a huge population (don't have statistics, sorry) of its students studying science, so there is a great deal of competition, from your science classes to getting leadership positions in clubs.

Long story short, if standing out from the Indian population as a whole is your main priority, then I would honestly not recommend BU or UIC. However, I feel like you should weigh out all the other opportunities that BU offers and take that into consideration as well. I'm not too sure about how DePaul is to be honest, and these are all unbiased opinions - just advice from a Indian, pre dental student who has attended a big name university downtown, and a smaller university in the suburbs. Hope this helped, and hope you make the right decision! Good luck with whatever route you end up choosing. Let me know if you have more questions.

Reactions: 1 user
@Sags2riches I attended UIC my freshman year (Bio major, Pre- Dent) then transferred out to Benedictine University (Health Science major, Pre- Dent) my sophomore year and now I'm finishing up with my junior year, and transferring to Benedictine was one of the best decisions I made mainly because of the teaching style they have here compared to UIC. Everyone's a different type of student, but the large class sizes were not working out for me. Professors were nearly impossible to set up appointments with, and TA's were little to no help. Many of my professors came to UIC for research; teaching was basically their second job and they did not seem passionate about it at all. UIC was a tough transition, for me at least. I then transferred to BU, and even though it wasn't a city school with the big name and the big university reputation, it was the best decision academically - small class sizes, professors have much more availability, a tight knit student population, and the dental club here helped a ton in assisting me through the troubles of undergrad to guide me to the fastest path to dental school by keeping me involved (inside and outside of school) and informed all the time.

Being of Indian descent, I found myself at home here because, as you mentioned, the large Indian/Muslim population at BU. As far as standing out goes, BU helps a ton with its Health Science Recommendation Committee (HSRC), research opportunities, the numerous clubs and groups one can be a part of, work/volunteering opportunities, and the list goes on... but if standing out from the Indian population as a whole is a priority for you, then I would not recommend BU for you. You also mentioned the fact that DePaul will have more room to climb the ladder in clubs and activities because not as many students in pre-health, which is also correct. BU has a huge population (don't have statistics, sorry) of its students studying science, so there is a great deal of competition, from your science classes to getting leadership positions in clubs.

Long story short, if standing out from the Indian population as a whole is your main priority, then I would honestly not recommend BU or UIC. However, I feel like you should weigh out all the other opportunities that BU offers and take that into consideration as well. I'm not too sure about how DePaul is to be honest, and these are all unbiased opinions - just advice from a Indian, pre dental student who has attended a big name university downtown, and a smaller university in the suburbs. Hope this helped, and hope you make the right decision! Good luck with whatever route you end up choosing. Let me know if you have more questions.

Thank you so much! Yeah, I agree. Here at the University of Miami the general Science classes are huge, and I do not find it to be the best suited to my learning style. At BU I would be commuting from home, so I would be sacrificing that quintessential college life that most students enjoy. I am assuming that you are a commuter as well. Do you have any regrets about not being able to partake in that life, or do you think it would have just hindered your learning process? Also, do you think BU has enough reputability to get you into a top notch dental school? I mean because you will still be competing against so many Indians and on top of that you will not be at a Tier 1 School. My parents are leaning heavily towards Benedictine, so I think I am going to most probably end up there. I just do not want to regret transferring. I want it to be a better decision in the long run, and one that will ultimately land me in Dental School. Science does not come easy to me. Hence, my Broadcast Journalism major. But, all I have ever wanted to be is a Dentist. Also, how is the social life? My friends tell me it is pretty non-existent. I heard the advising administration is also very hard to work with. They try to keep you there longer so you pay more money. Is that a valid statement? Haha I know it is a lot, but this is such a defining decision, so I want to be sure it is the right one.

I went to Uic since it was cheapest as an undergrad. I was in the honors college and received a few scholarships and research grant. Imo it's more well known than Benedictine and DePaul.