Dentists who had B/C average in dental school, how are you faring now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know this is the typical “C students become CEO’s” but I don’t think that’s a fair way to put it. I would argue the A student is more likely to become successful financially than the C student only because the A student has a great work ethic. On top of that, a lot of A students have a relentless drive to be at the top. Your average gunner in school won’t stop gunning in the real world. For example big time CEO’s in the real world, they rarely work less than 60 hrs a week, their jobs are tough. Who is more likely to put in that commitment, the A student who has always been on top, and is willing to work 80+ hrs a week to achieve their goals as evidenced in school, or the C student who would rather be on his couch watching Family Guy?

I know Im generalizing too, I’m just playing devils advocate.

Spending time studying for an exam and working hard at something can definitely be a redeeming quality when it comes to success. However, this is a business with lots of human interaction, and having the discipline to study hard or having the booksmarts to study doesn't necessarily translate to good patient interactions.

Also, you have to realize that the game called dental school and it's grading system is totally useless. Most of what we learned was useless. The more I think about it, the more I realize that dental school teaches us the archaic and non-profitable ways of dentistry. If someone took what we learned to heart in dental school, I assure you that they probably learned to do it the wrong (non-profitable) way. If those 'A' students were studying the wrong techniques, then you could say they were studying their way to failure in the real world. The 'C' students that are truly smart are the ones that put absolutely minimal effort due to the realization that grades were pointless, putting more effort is pointless, and putting the least amount of work for an acceptable result allowed for reallocation of time on more productive ventures.

It reminds me of the old addage: The only winning move is not to play. I didn't play the stupid games of dental school because I realized it was completely pointless and had nothing to do with real dentistry. Grades in dental school can be seen as a measurement of effort put into a subject and/or the intelligence of the individual. As much as we want to think that the more input of effort should translate to better results, it's not a linear comparison between individuals due to different intelligent levels. There are some people who can study 24/7 and manage no more than a C- everytime, and there are some people who can study 30 mins before finals and get an A. You have to look at the context and ability in which the grade was earned.

Now, this is all moot in point if you had to specialize, because grades are part of the game. As a GP, just pass. All that I've said is from a 'C' student perspective, although I got A's in some subjects, they were unintentional and somehow happened.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I really hate that saying. I swear some people just use it to justify not succeeding in school. Overall, aptitude and hard work translates to good grades which also translates to success in other areas. However, if you are a C student you aren’t guaranteed to be a below average dentist or make a below average salary. Nor does being a C student mean that “you’ll make the most money”. Success on the outside is different than in school but it really does take talent, hard work, determination, etc— the same characteristics that you need to succeed in school. You can be a successful dentist no matter your class rank, but my money will always be on those with a track record of highly achieving.

"How you do one thing is how you do everything."

Just to add on to the topic, I do think the most successful dentists are the ones with:

Routine and Discipline and Focus

Being a bookworm doesn't guarantee anything. And being a slacker C socializing student...doesn't mean anything either.

The ones that are successful are the blend of students that have a set routine where they are disciplined enough to get up and do it in the bad times and good times. And are focused on getting that routine and discipline done. For example, triathletes wake up before work, hit the gym, eat a solid meal, go to work, eat a pre-cooked meal from the weekend, go home, do errands, and sleep well. Anyone that has done a triathlon understands that you can't cheat yourself. It's hard work, determination, focus, routine, discipline that will get you there.

It doesn't matter if its rainy, if they are groggy, if they don't feel like it. They also don't skimp on meals, or get lazy with their focus. They are driven and stick to their schedule. No matter what.

I know plenty of bookworms who sleep in, eat unhealthy, and stay up late, and I also know C students who just chill all day. Will they be OK in the future? sure.

But my money is on the disciplined, focused, person who has a set routine. And that can honestly anyone.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like an interesting thesis if someone wants to take it up. Would be interesting to see the results. Sounds like some here are justifying their average DS grades with their success in the dental world. That's great. Everyone knows that getting an A in histology doesn't equate to private practice success. That should be common sense. At the same time .... lets not discount the additional effort needed to get those A's or those perfect lab scores. I think some of you want to characterize the A student as some little, whiny, book worm, no social life, nerdy (feel free to add more adjectives ........) and the rest of you with average grades as the cool students. There are examples for both types. So lets see some retro and prospective research to come to an answer.

Reactions: 1 users
It would be nice to get by with C's but a lot of people with hefty scholarships need to maintain a 3.0 to keep them and also be considered for future academic related scholarships

Just to add on to the topic, I do think the most successful dentists are the ones with:

Routine and Discipline and Focus

Being a bookworm doesn't guarantee anything. And being a slacker C socializing student...doesn't mean anything either.

The ones that are successful are the blend of students that have a set routine where they are disciplined enough to get up and do it in the bad times and good times. And are focused on getting that routine and discipline done. For example, triathletes wake up before work, hit the gym, eat a solid meal, go to work, eat a pre-cooked meal from the weekend, go home, do errands, and sleep well. Anyone that has done a triathlon understands that you can't cheat yourself. It's hard work, determination, focus, routine, discipline that will get you there.

It doesn't matter if its rainy, if they are groggy, if they don't feel like it. They also don't skimp on meals, or get lazy with their focus. They are driven and stick to their schedule. No matter what.

I know plenty of bookworms who sleep in, eat unhealthy, and stay up late, and I also know C students who just chill all day. Will they be OK in the future? sure.

But my money is on the disciplined, focused, person who has a set routine. And that can honestly anyone.

I think discipline is good to be able to execute and focus is important, but I would disagree on routine. Routine is what office workers do. Routine is what a busy worker bee does day in and day out. I think that routine provides consistency, but it's a slow and steady approach, and IMO, an approach of mediocrity/complacency. Someone who can take any situation thrown at them and where they can manage a "controlled chaos" environment is someone who I would put my money on. If my OM throws 5 rctbucrowns at me all at once, I won't break down or refuse to do it. I will do it, complete it well, and make lots of money. The problem with excessive routine and structure is the lack of adaptibility for a given situation. A lot of offices are leaving money on the table when they can't or won't see any new patients for the day. Just an example of getting set in the ways of routine.

As a personal preference, routine is boring. I care more about results than anything else. If I had the choice to climb Mount Everest v. helicopter up there, I'd take the helicopter when the weather conditions are good and relatively safe. The results are the same, getting up there.

Reactions: 1 user
I was a B (with a few Cs sprinkled in during D1) student during the first two years. I was the one people would ask for help on a topic and then those same people would outscore me on the exams. But then once we got out of didactic, I never recieved anything lower than an A.

You shouldn't let grades dictate what kind of dentist you'll be. You can make a lot of money having had a 2.7 or a 3.9 GPA. But you can also be a great clinician, a dentist whose patients adore regardless of your GPA.

Patients could care less what your GPA was, attend the same goes for your employers. All patients care about is that you fix them up. So rather than focusing on your GPA, spend those 4 years learning everything you can to be the best dentist you can. Even if that means sacrificing an hour or two of study time for a histology exam to get a few more crown preps in on your typodont

It would be nice to get by with C's but a lot of people with hefty scholarships need to maintain a 3.0 to keep them and also be considered for future academic related scholarships

I'm an scholarship student in Brazil, so I have to keep the grades going well. I'm also not much of a people person and I'm aware this may affect me in the future. The good thing about getting good grades is that your colleagues and professors will look out for you, and it's very important that you have a solid network for when you graduate.

At the end, people will recommend the person who get A grades. And that's what I'm really hoping so, as I'm only an 2nd year student.

Doing just fine. Grades mean little to me, Bc I know where I want to be and how to get there. Confidence, good chairside manner, and soft skills will take you far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was a B student in dental school. I even failed operative lab second year and got the honor of getting set back at least 150-200k in net worth by repeating a year. It was pretty much the worst thing that ever happened to me.

I am six years out of school now and have averaged 200k per year in income. I do not include the 48k per year of principle that I paid down on my practice note or any of the 18k per year in interest paid on my practice note as part of my income.

Recently I hired a consultant to help negotiate better fees from insurances and I got pretty good offers that would raise my income by almost 100k if I just maintain the level of production I am already at. I am currently in the process of getting switched over to these higher fee schedules which will take another six months but once it happens I will be pretty happy with my income. When my practice note is paid off eight years from now I will get another 66k per year raise. I am thinking about using some of the current raise in pay to pay down my practice note faster... an extra 30k per year would probably knock three years off of the time remaining.

Who did you hire for that?