Dental students , Overseas dentist in Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gogi79

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
helloo guys ,
is there any dental students or overseas dentists in australia can tell us about their dental studies their as I am sitting for the australian dental council exam next march and I like to share our information together ,
anyone there?? :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I am a first year in Sydney University's dental program. Are you already a practicing dentist, or are you wishing to enroll in dental school in Australia as an international student?

Dr.Millisevert said:
I am a first year in Sydney University's dental program. Are you already a practicing dentist, or are you wishing to enroll in dental school in Australia as an international student?
Thanx Dr. Milliservant for reply ,actually I have been practising dentistry for 3 years and i wish to enroll in the bridging program made by adelaide university for overseas trained dentists ,
since u r still in ur first year ,i guess u r studying basic sciences and didnt not get into dental studies yet ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome! Welcome to Australia! Yes I am doing a lot of basic sciences, but we also get good clinical exposure our first year. I'm really enjoying dental school at the moment, it is really challenging but also very exciting! I don't know too much about the bridging program. sorry. Good Luck! If you need any more info, I'll try to see if I can find out for you.

Dr.Millisevert said:
Awesome! Welcome to Australia! Yes I am doing a lot of basic sciences, but we also get good clinical exposure our first year. I'm really enjoying dental school at the moment, it is really challenging but also very exciting! I don't know too much about the bridging program. sorry. Good Luck! If you need any more info, I'll try to see if I can find out for you.
Thanx for ur sweet reply ,and I have been always told that australian r friendly and i wish u all the best in ur first year ,and it is very good to have a clinical exposure from he first year ,well dentistry is a very intresting studies although it might have great responsiblities in many cases.but i have read on the internet that shortage in dentists are only in regional areas and in capital cities there are more dentists than needed Is this the case in sydny too ?
good luck

Hello guys
I am interested in studying Dentistry in Australia and need some help in that ,
i have a BSc degree alread yand would like to get into a 4 years program in Dentistry in Aistralia.
I am wondering if the program is the same as the 5 years progrmas?
also what are the chances for me to stay there and practice as dentist and what would be the salary range for dentists there.
I am a canadian student and want to move to Australia.

Regards

dr_amer98 said:
Hello guys
i have a BSc degree alread yand would like to get into a 4 years program in Dentistry in Aistralia.
also what are the chances for me to stay there and practice as dentist and what would be the salary range for dentists there.

Regards
hii
you can sit for the ADC exam instead of taking the whole undergraduate program again

dr_amer98 said:
Hello guys

Regards

I'm starting my 2nd year of dental school now. I'm in the only 4-year graduate-entry dental program in Australia at Sydney University. We have a mixed program where we do the first 2 years of the med school courses (lectures and labs) as well as PBL. We also get experiences at two different teaching hospitals and have a manditory rural rotation. I've been told our curriculum is pretty similar to Harvard and UBC. If you are already a dentist in order to pracitice here you will have to sit some exams and may possible have to do an extra year or two of internship type training first I think before you can get licensed. Not sure. It would be best to contact the ADA (Australian Dental Association) If you are applying here to go to dental school, you will need to take the GAMSAT exam and have good gpa. Sydney University will accept the US or Canadian DAT in place of the GAMSAT. Also, be aware that when you have your interview they also require you to sit a "manual skills examination" which includes bending ortho wire accross a template and building a wax cube to specified dimensions. (they are slightly more difficult than they first appear) ;)

Dr.Millisevert said:
I'm starting my 2nd year of dental school now. I'm in the only 4-year graduate-entry dental program in Australia at Sydney University. We have a mixed program where we do the first 2 years of the med school courses (lectures and labs) as well as PBL. We also get experiences at two different teaching hospitals and have a manditory rural rotation. I've been told our curriculum is pretty similar to Harvard and UBC. If you are already a dentist in order to pracitice here you will have to sit some exams and may possible have to do an extra year or two of internship type training first I think before you can get licensed. Not sure. It would be best to contact the ADA (Australian Dental Association) If you are applying here to go to dental school, you will need to take the GAMSAT exam and have good gpa. Sydney University will accept the US or Canadian DAT in place of the GAMSAT. Also, be aware that when you have your interview they also require you to sit a "manual skills examination" which includes bending ortho wire accross a template and building a wax cube to specified dimensions. (they are slightly more difficult than they first appear) ;)
No need for the internship, just MCQ exam and a clinical exam .

gogi79 said:

I believe he has a science degree not a dental degree.

gogi79 said:
helloo guys ,
is there any dental students or overseas dentists in australia can tell us about their dental studies their as I am sitting for the australian dental council exam next march and I like to share our information together ,
i am an overseas trained dentist willing to enroll in the bridging program like you.....can you let me know how do i do it. :D

gogi79 said:
hi
do you think a bridging program would make things easier??if so how do i go for it???will a permanent resident be provided with any sort of assistance ???can you please give me some suggestions as to how to prepare for part 1 exams.how many hours do i need to spend on studies everyday.......i don have any idea about good books?did you get through part 1 if so please share your sweet and bitter experience with me.F :luck: rom your bitter experience i can take actions to avoid them while from your sweet experiences i can console myself and make myself feel better.

gogi79 said:
hi
do you think a bridging program would make things easier??if so how do i go for it???will a permanent resident be provided with any sort of assistance ???can you please give me some suggestions as to how to prepare for part 1 exams.how many hours do i need to spend on studies everyday.......i don have any idea about good books?did you get through part 1 if so please share your sweet and bitter experience with me.From your bitter experience i can take steps to avoid them happening to me while from your sweet experiences i can console myself and make myself feel better.

Members don't see this ad :)
hello,
i am a dentist practising in india and am planning to give ADC exams, can anybody help me find out that can the preliminary exam be given overseas in india or one needs to go to aus for that, is this some new pattern they have come up with..
plzzzzzz help, me confused :confused:

Hi Khyati,

After the assessment of your past education in dentistry , now days u need to give OET exam ( similar to IELTS ). Once u pass that then ADC sends u all the info regarding prelim. exam.
It can be given in India.
The centre is New Delhi. mostly Indian Habitat Centre.
The arrangement is really good.
just start studying as early as possible.
2 papers of MCQ ( 80 questions each)
and 1 PAPER of SAQ
( 1 is compulsory and out of 4 others u need write any 2 ) SO TOTAL 3

all the best
regards
amol

khyati parmar said:
hello,
i am a dentist practising in india and am planning to give ADC exams, can anybody help me find out that can the preliminary exam be given overseas in india or one needs to go to aus for that, is this some new pattern they have come up with..
plzzzzzz help, me confused :confused:

dramol said:
Hi Khyati,

After the assessment of your past education in dentistry , now days u need to give OET exam ( similar to IELTS ). Once u pass that then ADC sends u all the info regarding prelim. exam.
It can be given in India.
The centre is New Delhi. mostly Indian Habitat Centre.
The arrangement is really good.
just start studying as early as possible.
2 papers of MCQ ( 80 questions each)
and 1 PAPER of SAQ
( 1 is compulsory and out of 4 others u need write any 2 ) SO TOTAL 3

all the best
regards
amol[/QUOT
I am a dental surgeon in India keenly interested to work in Australia..
i had been enquiring about occupational english test since last couple of days so failed to gather relevant information.can anybody tell me whether i can do it in India ????

HI all
Well am a new on this site...
am a regular on rxbds..
anyway Do know stuff about ADC but need more info..

yea OET is held in India, jus apply for the exam and choose a overseas center in India, you'll get chennai or delhi.. mostly chennai

the prep material is what am lookin for.. I have looked all over the place.. i did find a book on amazon.. it was for 10,000 indian rupees..
so said no..
I think a easier way is if we are from the same cities we could contribute and order preparatory material from the OET website.. which are of 2 types.. both of them inclusive of shpping would come upto 6K indian..
and there are a lot of ppl desperate for the material in India.. so we could buy it off that way.. and share the costs but only the ppl in the same city would be able to do this..
Its only a suggestion from me..
its one's decision..
Btw..
am lookin for material to study for the ADC too ..

do keep in touch all you guys..
and keep me posted too..
am available at [email protected]
jus mail me if you have any other queries
tc
aj :horns:

hi there,
i've just finished bds and would like to join bridging program in dentistry at adelaide univ... can anyone pls tell me what r my chances of being called for stage 2 of selection process, ie. the interview, etc???

hi dr millisevert,
i believe u r presently the best person to help me wit my queries... i'm applyin for the bridgin program in dentistry. can u tell me what r all the preparations i shud do if i'm called for the interview and manual skills assessment???

coolrichie said:
hi dr millisevert,
i believe u r presently the best person to help me wit my queries... i'm applyin for the bridgin program in dentistry. can u tell me what r all the preparations i shud do if i'm called for the interview and manual skills assessment???

Which bridging program are you applying to? I think each university has their own different one. I can help you out with info regarding applying to dental school as a 1st year, but if you are applying for the advance standing "bridging program" for foreign dentists; I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with their requirements and admissions requirements.

hi dr millisevert,

i'm applyin for a course called Bridging Program In Dentistry at the Univ of Adelaide. Its the only univ in Aus offering this course. Its for a person who has completed his/her BDS. Its a 2-year course whereby applicants join directly in the 4th year of BDS...

However, as i've said before, entry'll be very competitive. There'll be interview n manual skill assessment. I'd like to know
1. what do they expect in interview?
2. what r the exercises i'll have to undertake in clinical skill assessment?

U may give me info pertainin 1st year entry as even they have interview, n skill test.

Pls reply!!!

coolrichie said:
i'm applyin for a course called Bridging Program In Dentistry at the Univ of Adelaide.

Its for a person who has completed his/her BDS. Its a 2-year course whereby applicants join directly in the 4th year of BDS...

However, as i've said before, entry'll be very competitive.

There'll be interview n manual skill assessment. I'd like to know
1. what do they expect in interview?
2. what r the exercises i'll have to undertake in clinical skill assessment?

Sorry, I don't know the requirments or the procedures for admission into the foreign dental programs. I don't go to Adelaide University. I can only comment on what they do for 1st years at Sydney University: Manual skills exam: ortho wire bending and wax cube carving. And interview.

I would suggest contacting the University of Adelaide and asking them. Good luck!

dear dr millisevert,

thanx for d reply... can u pls tell me a lil from ur experience.. what were u asked in interview? how does one have to present himself? do u have any particular advice for me? awaiting ur speedy reply...

arjun said:
HI all
Well am a new on this site...
am a regular on rxbds..
anyway Do know stuff about ADC but need more info..

yea OET is held in India, jus apply for the exam and choose a overseas center in India, you'll get chennai or delhi.. mostly chennai

the prep material is what am lookin for.. I have looked all over the place.. i did find a book on amazon.. it was for 10,000 indian rupees..
so said no..
I think a easier way is if we are from the same cities we could contribute and order preparatory material from the OET website.. which are of 2 types.. both of them inclusive of shpping would come upto 6K indian..
and there are a lot of ppl desperate for the material in India.. so we could buy it off that way.. and share the costs but only the ppl in the same city would be able to do this..
Its only a suggestion from me..
its one's decision..
Btw..
am lookin for material to study for the ADC too ..

do keep in touch all you guys..
and keep me posted too..
am available at [email protected]
jus mail me if you have any other queries
tc
aj :horns:

Hi Forum ...

Well this is a brilliant idea by Arjun. I am in with u Arjun. I will be shortly ordering the material. Please let me know if u r ready to share the cost.My email Id is [email protected]....

regards,

Bob.

Bob-75 said:
Hi Forum ...

Well this is a brilliant idea by Arjun. I am in with u Arjun. I will be shortly ordering the material. Please let me know if u r ready to share the cost.My email Id is [email protected]....

regards,

Bob.
glad to find some one who is in need of oet material as even im hunting forthe same.i have applied for the oet this month and the sample material they send us wil it not be enough should v buy? if yes pls let me know the means as im ready to share
regards
sree

Hi Guys ,

I am a dentist from Mumbai...now wat i am wondering is...wat are we all planning to do while we write the ADC exams ie.the first two in INDIA , and later the last one in Australia.The whole procedure may take no less than about a year and half...,IF we clear all in one go !! So wat are your people`s plans for that duration...? I am a bit confused ..!! :luck: :luck:

well sree as u suggested ,I mailed my reply yest. on the AUST.OCEANIC forum..
nywy...yes do lemme kno abt the UWA thing ..the course , and well I havnt applied as yet..infact I have bun mailing them often ,to no concrete answer.
Actually I m still in my internship which shud b done by Nov. so I was wondering if I m eligible to write OET..,But m not getting any relevant answer from them. Sooo ....
What r u doing ...working /practising..?? do u think it wud b a good idea to look into any PG courses in AUST ?

SIMS said:
well sree as u suggested ,I mailed my reply yest. on the AUST.OCEANIC forum..
nywy...yes do lemme kno abt the UWA thing ..the course , and well I havnt applied as yet..infact I have bun mailing them often ,to no concrete answer.
Actually I m still in my internship which shud b done by Nov. so I was wondering if I m eligible to write OET..,But m not getting any relevant answer from them. Sooo ....
What r u doing ...working /practising..?? do u think it wud b a good idea to look into any PG courses in AUST ?
good u hear u have started quite early.i have 2yrs of work exp i finished couple of yrs back.wel i dont know much about ur eligibility to take oet as of now better call oet directly.about pg courses see the univers websites of all the states in as u wil get a better idea.as far as money concerned mph is better as for as i know.but if u want to work u have to take adc again which ever course u take up.i think u can take ur oet in jan, good luck

dr_amer98 said:
Hello guys

Regards

Hey,
I've done exactly what your planning to do....I graduated from UBC with a BSc and got into Uni of Melbs Dental program which is a 5 yr program...they dont give you any advance placement..but you do get credit for some classes...chances of staying here after your done is really high...salary range I herd is going to be around 70k per yr for a 1st yr grad by 2009....i think its at 63K now.
Currently if you want to return to Canada you have to take the 2yr requalification program.....but I herd that might chance in the future...as there are rumours of a possible reciprocal agreement between Australia, US, canada and possibly britian....currently you can practice in NZ without any extra schooling....and I believe its the same with practicing in the UK

Hope that Helped

DentalCanuck said:
Hey,
I've done exactly what your planning to do....I graduated from UBC with a BSc and got into Uni of Melbs Dental program which is a 5 yr program...they dont give you any advance placement..but you do get credit for some classes...chances of staying here after your done is really high...salary range I herd is going to be around 70k per yr for a 1st yr grad by 2009....i think its at 63K now.
Currently if you want to return to Canada you have to take the 2yr requalification program.....but I herd that might chance in the future...as there are rumours of a possible reciprocal agreement between Australia, US, canada and possibly britian....currently you can practice in NZ without any extra schooling....and I believe its the same with practicing in the UK

Hope that Helped

Hey.. I graduated from UCSD with a BSc and I am applying to UMelb and USyd.

USyd is a 4 year grad program and require a previous bachelors degree for admission.. so check with them first. I agree.. chances of getting PR status when you finish dent is really high.

Also.. 60-70k is first year out for public clinics.. I have seen jobs for 1st year grads starting at 100-130k in private.

I have some slightly different news.. I heard that since the UK is moving in with the EU.. it is harder to go back and forth between UK and Commonwealth.

They are going to try and form a reciprical agreement between US, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. As these countries have very similar quality and struture of dental education programs.

Check out this thread

Reciprocity: Can accreditation work both ways?
Since 1955, CODA and its Canadian counterpart, the Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada (CDAC), have managed an arrangement in which Canadian and U.S. dental programs are recognized with reciprocity. In other words, as in Dr. Roda’s case, a Canadian dental graduate who has taken the U.S. National Board Dental Examinations, Parts I and II, is eligible to take a clinical exam and apply for an U.S. state license. A U.S. dental graduate who passed the Canadian national licensing exam could, with proper work documentation, practice in any province.

“The Canadian model works very well,” says Dr. Kalkwarf. “The two agencies have worked hard to bring commonality to testing and outcomes.” Yet, he points out, there has been little discussion of other possibilities for accreditation reciprocity. If CODA accredits a Mexican dental school, for instance, will Mexican authorities accredit a U.S. school?

One issue is the disparity in licensing authority. In the United States, dental licensure is a states’ rights issue. Dentists are licensed by state governments. Most other countries issue national dental licenses. Another issue is measuring the equivalence of educational differences. Foreign-trained dentists don’t necessarily have inferior skills, but there is great variability in dental education.

Three prominent dental educational models coexist in the world. The first, and oldest, is the American model, also adopted in Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.

The second is the British—nowadays called the odontological—model

The third is the European—or stomatological—model

Beyond the training itself, Americans also worry about how transnational clinicians will adapt to the cultural realities of U.S. practice. “We are concerned not just about the clinical education of our international licensees but their cultural education as well,” says Mr. Shragg of the Minnesota Board of Dentistry. “Will the internationally-trained dentist understand our notions of infection control and four-handed dentistry?”

For the time being, accreditation commissioners consider the question of reciprocity largely moot. “Around 2002 or 2003,” Dr. Cole says, “Mexican dental schools asked to develop the same sort of reciprocity with the United States as we have with Canada. We compared standards and found substantial differences between Mexican standards and U.S. and Canadian standards. I don’t foresee any significant movement of international dentists, except in Australia and New Zealand, who have programs much like those in the United States. CODA could conceivably develop reciprocal agreements in those countries.”

hi!!i want to know if anyone here knows about AIDER orientation course in australia...or any other bridging course

hi i wan to knw the books necessary 4 adc exams.plsss some1 help me out

hi i wan to knw the books necessary 4 adc exams.plsss some1 help me out
if u preparing for part 1 read..boucher,odell,dental decks,old adc questions(very imp)oxford hand book by mitchell,cawson mcq

helloo guys ,
Hi there ,
I am a dental practitioner from India. Giving the OET in June. Wud liketo share info.

Heyy ther people. Anyone having any idea on the Dental scene as in the oppportunites, or scopeof Dentistry in Australia??? Plz post any info on dentistry ther. Waitin for u r reply. Thanks.

Hi everyone ;
Anyone can help me about the OTC
For the pre of ADC clinical exam, do you think OTC is necessay? What was the success rate to pass the clinical exam If one accomplished the OTC?
I also know another program for overseas dentist to pre for ADC clinical exam in university of Adelaide. It is a 18 months part time program,the candidate can work 3 days per week. the students will be award clincal dentistry diploma and also get payed about A$ 30,000 per annum for their part time work. Do you know something more about this program.Why no one talk about this programe. Is the OTC better than thisprogram?

Could anyone help me? My e-mail [email protected]
If anyone want know the detail of 18months part time training program for overseas dentist in Adelaide,you can give me a e-mail

Hi,
I am selling in the same boat as you did. Have you given the ADC exam? Can you plz provide me with information about OTC in Australia? Who to call for more detail contacts to get info for different Brigding Courses available in Australia and their costs etc.
hoping to get a prompt reply

Hie, im a newbie to this forum. I have a master's degree in Periodontics from India. Not in practice since the past 9 months as im presently located in Singapore and no degree recogntion out here. Can anyone suggest abt trying the ADC qualifying exam. How can i start preps for the OET exam? Can the prep material be shared by cost division? Thanks.:)

Hi all
I want to apppear for Nov final exam
But I don't have any idea about the pattern of the exam
Can anybody help please

Hi,
This is Tan, I am appearing MCQ on comming sep. R u also?
We can shear our stuff. If u want to.I am from melbourne.
Regards
Tan

Hi, can anyone want to shear / discuss about ADC exam. I am appearing sep 07.
I need the last MCQ question. if anybody could help me.
I am from melb.
Tan

hi friends,
there is some information i want to share

Do you know there are few ADC passed candidates who passed atleast 4-5 years back come to India every year and give 30kg of study material for self study etc with their old concepts.

I tried to make a group earlier also and few people in this group who dont want good to others dicourage the efforts.
atleast these guys are doing it professionally.

I WOULD REQUEST OTHERS TOO,IF YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED YOU MAY BE, BUT WHY DO YOU DEMORALISE THE OTHERS WHO DONT HAVE A CHOICE/MONEY.

everybody who fails for the first time in exams knows that he just didnt had the idea and correct exposure of the exam exactly what to prepare and what not.
Please dont ask me the details take it from this website and post your queries directly to them

http://adcexam. page.tl/

hope we dont fool around and do something constructive here........ .

cheers
anusha

Hi ,
I'm giving oet in Sept 15.
I hoped you've passed OET.
If you have time, pls share ur experience or information.
:p
Hi there ,
I am a dental practitioner from India. Giving the OET in June. Wud liketo share info.

I am a dentist from India and I have appeared for the ADC Final Clinical Exam in July 2007 .I have got a supplimentry exam and it is due in Oct 07 .I can help you with the pattern and study material for ADC Final exam . Mail me at [email protected] if you need study material .I have the CD s provided by OTC course providers and much more study material...

I am new here. used google to find here. so glad to meet many other overseas dentists in oz on this forum.

I am in Sydney and is preparing for prelim next March. Anyone who is doing the samething here? wish we can share resources and encourage each other:)

deepa verma good on you !
can you share with us your experience on prelim and clinical here?
wish you succeed in Oct. Are you in Mel or Syd?

Regards !

by the way, I heard someone said there are training courses available in Sydney now. Anyone heard of it?

Hi ,
I'm giving oet in Sept 15.
I hoped you've passed OET.
If you have time, pls share ur experience or information.
:p
hi chiu
I have had OET this FEB(in UNSW). It is not hard at all.
If you have done ILETS before you don't have to worry about OET.
I feel that OET is much easier than ILETS.
although listening is a bit hard for me . Reading part is too easy. Speaking , easy. Writing not hard if you have practice twice or more on sample questions.

If I have some time i will open a new thread about my OET experience.

wish you success and relax for OET!

I am in Sydney inner west. if you haven't buy it from OET register. you can drop me a line here.

Status
Not open for further replies.