Dental School Rankings/Statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Columbia is a great institution in ALL of its schools, but I honestly believe that it will not even the the best dental school in New York in the next 5-10 years. Yes, I am biased, but... I really do think this will happen. The sweeping changes and the vast improvements (only in the past 3-5 years) that are taking place here at NYU are too much to ignore. Dental education in the 21st century goes beyond "higher percentage of graduates who go on to specialize" or the opinions that are solicited from those on SDN or our parents' uncles' friends' dogs' babysitters' dentists.

Or perhaps I am just crossing my fingers and wishing for the above since I chose NYU over Columbia (the only 2 schools to which I was accepted). But... if any of you are genuinely curious as to why I believe NYUCD will make a significant contribution to the field of dental education as a whole in the next decade... read some of my (somewhat biased, of course) previous posts.

While a school's aspirations are admirable, it can't become a top school when top students don't choose to go there. When top students are choosing to go elsewhere because of cost, NYU can't become a top school.

There are prime students that schools compete for. The school that win out consistently will have it's chance to shine at the top. NYU's not there yet, and the price tag prevents it from getting there. Penn can pull off top students with the same pricetag, bc...hell, it's UPenn.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know what the best school is, but New Jersey defintiely has the best looking women out of all of the schools in the North East. At least in my humble opinion :cool:

You don't think we have "top students"? :) It is true that NYUCD's avg GPA and DAT are not at the levels at which Penn's may be currently. However, I again allude to the incredibly strong upward trend the school has witnessed in the past few years, which looks to continue into the future (of course, my predictions). And while I don't know where every one of my classmates went to for their undergraduate education, I can attest to at least dozens of students who've come out of "top 20" institutions. Of course, in a class of 230, you're bound to have those... but heck, just off the top of my head, I can think of 15-20 from the good Cal schools (Berkeley and UCLA), those from Ivies and the 'comparables' (e.g. Duke, Michigan, Northwestern), and even 3-4 from Harvard (including yours truly). As a statistical average, we ain't badass yet... but our size surely is badass, and we're attracting more badass applicants.... let's watch how things flow over the next 5-10 years.

While a school's aspirations are admirable, it can't become a top school when top students don't choose to go there. When top students are choosing to go elsewhere because of cost, NYU can't become a top school.

There are prime students that schools compete for. The school that win out consistently will have it's chance to shine at the top. NYU's not there yet, and the price tag prevents it from getting there. Penn can pull off top students with the same pricetag, bc...hell, it's UPenn.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why does everyone always start at the top? Don't you think people are wondering which are the bottom-feeder schools, too? Just FYI for all you new applicants, here's the bottom of the list, in chronological order of when each school denied me:

56. Arizona
55. OHSU
54. UNC
53. Pacific

I think more people apply to arizona than any other, and it is also the hardest to get into (at least that is what I heard)
1. ASDOH
2. UoP
3. Colorado
4. UCLA
5. Tufts
Last: tied Temple and Indiana
I used Chompers method of picking though

Arizona is #1 in your opinion because they accept all the ******s. D for Drill is the king of ******s :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

and where did you get accepted?
Funny how its the jack asses that cant get in that have the most meaningless comments. Have fun pumping gas

If I remember right, Typo goes to maryland currently. He has been around more than 20 posts, so I think he has the right to joke a little.

I'm not really sure if D for Drill is in dental school. If you have so much free time, go read some books. You idiot. I guess Arizona is soooooooooooooo easy :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ;) ;) ;)

I am a 1st year at ASDOH and youre not worth my time, you prick!

Keep that up and you will stuck in the 1st year forever, D for Drill :D :D :D :D :D :D :laugh: :laugh: ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
According to the dean at UNC, the top 5 in no particular order are UNC, UW, Iowa, Michigan, and San Antonio. I tend to agree.

Fact. There are no rankings. Fact. Your a dentist wherever you go. I could care less if you went to Harvard. Consider more important factors like price and clinical experience.

This comment pretty much ends the thread, seriously. The rest is just people's opinions. Every dental school trains competent dentists, otherwise they would not be accredited. There is no ranking system. Different schools have varying cirriculums with respect to clinical expereince and/or didactic coursework.

Wow, this thread started in 2000. I think I was in 8th grade haha.

According to the dean at UNC, the top 5 in no particular order are UNC, UW, Iowa, Michigan, and San Antonio. I tend to agree.

According to the dean at Pacific the top school sin a very particular order are Pacific>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>UNLV>UIC>>other schools>>University of Guadalhara>UCSF

What does it mean? NOOOTHHHIIIINNNNGGGGG.

Ranking is always, always subjective.

According to the dean at Pacific the top school sin a very particular order are Pacific>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>UNLV>UIC>>other schools>>University of Guadalhara>UCSF

What does it mean? NOOOTHHHIIIINNNNGGGGG.

Ranking is always, always subjective.

It means the dean of Pacific didn't get into UCSF back in the day.

I heard Meharry and Howard are the top schools in the nation. Third is Harvard.

this thread is pointless. One day if you are in dental school, you are going to wonder why you wasted your time wondering about top 10 dental schools.

There are no rankings, period. Means nothing. Just pick a school that is a match for you (if you are lucky enough to have a choice).

this thread is pointless. One day if you are in dental school, you are going to wonder why you wasted your time wondering about top 10 dental schools.

There are no rankings, period. Means nothing. Just pick a school that is a match for you (if you are lucky enough to have a choice).

Not true. Of course there are objective ways to rank dental schools. For example is there anyone out there really looking for antiquated equipment at their dental school (e.g., Columbia) or an above avg chance of getting raped between your apt and classroom (e.g., UPenn). There are absolutely ways to rank dental schools. Many are subjective, but there are fact based ways to dial in a rough ranking.

Anyone have any rankings based on the overall physical attractiveness of single female students (or professors? ;))
Can this thread die yet?:thumbup:
Not true. Of course there are objective ways to rank dental schools. For example is there anyone out there really looking for antiquated equipment at their dental school (e.g., Columbia) or an above avg chance of getting raped between your apt and classroom (e.g., UPenn). There are absolutely ways to rank dental schools. Many are subjective, but there are fact based ways to dial in a rough ranking.

Anyone have any rankings based on the overall physical attractiveness of single female students (or professors? ;))
Can this thread die yet?:thumbup:

UoP does well

as would USC i'd imagine. but if you're at USC, why would you mess around with the dental students...just marry a ugrad hottie with money and ditch your dschool dreams!

this thread can't die. It has way too much information for ranking schools. Someone should site this thread in a wikipedia page regarding dschool ranks.

Really? The last time I checked, UCSF was tied with the University of Guadalajara. UoG must have passed up UCSF in the latest US News rankings.

1. San Antonio
2. Baylor
2. Houston

No other schools are worthy of being ranked, IMO.
this is an example of a frog sitting at the bottom of the well. looking at the sky and thought he know what the sky looks like.

wow...amazing thread. this topic started before i even entered highschool, none the less dental school...

I will graduate in May 2010. My clinical experience has been second to none. I know this from talking w other applicants at interviews @ post grad interviews. I have completed:
90 crowns(including Cad Cam/Itero/+access to all advanced materials/labs)
10 implant restorations
210 extractions including alveoplasty/tuberosity reduction.
160 fillings
6 dentures/partials
6 deep cleanings
6 root canals

People hire us before other schools cause we're ready to practice. We are also among the cheapest education for the cost.

Where did I go?
TAMU Baylor College of Dentistry

Good luck!

I believe in the next 5 years, Western University of Health Sciences will be a top 10 dental school.....
:thumbup:

lol :laugh:

heard that from a friend attending upenn (not the rape part :p)
he said he doesn't feel safe walking around

If the ADA had a budget surplus and LOTS of time, they could have every student at every school fill out a survey where they ranked on a scale their happiness with the faculty, administration, facilities, equipment, and location. Then the ADA could evaluate board scores among schools and student retention. All this may not even separate dental schools though. A students happiness can be subjective and dependent on their personality. Just some thoughts though.

That's crazy how these rankings get made up. I know some schools like Harvard have a strong academic/research reputation and others have a strong clinical reputation (i.e. Pacific) but I think many people are ignorant on many of the schools out there. I think if you are reading this with the intent of going/applying to dental school you should just ask the students about their exeperience. I'm about to graduate from Indiana University and when I compare what I did with some friends at Ohio State/Louisville/San Antonio/UNLV I compare very well, many times even better. If you are wondering here are some clinical components that I have completed without being a crazy gunner, here they are. I did all of this within the required clinical attendance and am still done with a few months to spare.
Extractions: 172 (36 surgical and most of those are wisdom teeth)
Fillings: 195 (About half resins and half amalgams)
Crown and bridge units: 29 (All single crowns with 2 seperate 3 unit bridges)
Endo: 10 canals (this is probably the weak part of the curriculum)
Prosthodontics: 8 complete dentures and 4 RPD's start to finish
That plus a few hospital surgery rotations and inner city rotations. I'm assuming most schools are comparable but just ask the students and figure it out. Whoever said that the #1 dental school is the one they go to is correct. I know a Harvard grad from about 10 years ago who said he would probably go to a different school if he had the choice now and I know of kids who only got into one school (I won't name that school but it wasn't Indiana) and that guy loved it. I don't know if anybody will even read this but if you do, that's my 2 cents.

I was just beginning 6th grade when this thread was started.

Reactions: 1 user
If the ADA had a budget surplus and LOTS of time, they could have every student at every school fill out a survey where they ranked on a scale their happiness with the faculty, administration, facilities, equipment, and location. Then the ADA could evaluate board scores among schools and student retention. All this may not even separate dental schools though. A students happiness can be subjective and dependent on their personality. Just some thoughts though.

Better make sure it's not finals week :laugh: