Dental School Rankings/Statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allsmiles

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where on the web you can find statistics or rankings on the Dental Schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Here are the Top 10 dental schools:

10. Stony Brook
9. Creighton
8. Iowa
7. Minnesota
6. UCLA
5. San Francisco
4. Pennsylvania
3. Harvard
2. Michigan
1. Columbia

Good Luck!

Where did you find these rankings?

Here are the Top 10 dental schools:

10. Stony Brook
9. Creighton
8. Iowa
7. Minnesota
6. UCLA
5. San Francisco
4. Pennsylvania
3. Harvard
2. Michigan
1. Columbia

Good Luck!
[/QUOTE]

Members don't see this ad :)
A combination of US News, Gorman, and NIH rankings. These are clearly the best schools, especially the Top 5.

Why are you interested in top 10 rankings?

When you choose a dentist for yourself, do you ask where they earned their dental degree? If they they told you where, what would you know about their competence?

Some dental schools, like some medical schools, have a heavier emphasis on producing graduates more likely to go into academic dentistry and research, although not all graduates do. Others place the emphasis on producing graduates more likely to become practitioners, although some grads go into teaching and research.

If you go into practice it is unlikely that prospective patients will ask where you went to dental school? And if they do ask, what does that tell them about your skill? Most laypeople haven't the faintest idea of what dental schools exist in the US. Suppose you went to Harvard and were at the bottom of your class, does that mean you are still a better dentist than one at the top of their class wherever else they got their dental education?

If you are looking ahead to getting specialty education, it might make some difference where you went, but more importance will be attached to your performance in dental school and recommendations.

I don't know where you got these rankings.
In my opinion
1. Washington
2. Florida
3. North Carolina
4. Penn
5. Columbia
6. Michigan
7. Detroit
8. Harvard
9. Nova SOutheastern
10. Temple

These are the top schools in my opinion. Harvard is a great school if you want to be a research dentists but if you want to practice privately helping people hands on then it's not for you.

you are right about harvard, but florida and unc? i question your reasoning. washington is a great school, but clearly not #1. for all of you looking for rankings, not that we both agree with each other on penn, columbia, and michigan. these 3 ALWAYS show up in the top 5.

Fact. There are no rankings. Fact. Your a dentist wherever you go. I could care less if you went to Harvard. Consider more important factors like price and clinical experience.

Here's some insight on this one for you. I graduated from UCONN Dental School in '97, did 2 years of a GPR(hospital based general dentistry residency)and have been in private practice now for almost 2 years. In the thousands of patient encounters I've had I could probably count the number of times I've been asked where I went to dental school with both hands. Your patients will always assume that you've had the best training possible, and most dental school curiculums turn out competent dentists. The big difference for all of you is the costs. My dental school loans were anywhere from 1/2 to 1/4 of those in my residency who went to private dental schools. How this relates is that every month I write out a loan repayment check for about $800 where their's are between $1600 to $3200 per month!

which schools do u believe offer the most clinical experience?

which schools do u believe offer the most clinical experience?
usually schools in an underseved community. For instance alabama and uofp are in or around underserved community where you get to do a lot of different clinical work.

Here's some insight on this one for you. I graduated from UCONN Dental School in '97, did 2 years of a GPR(hospital based general dentistry residency)and have been in private practice now for almost 2 years. In the thousands of patient encounters I've had I could probably count the number of times I've been asked where I went to dental school with both hands. Your patients will always assume that you've had the best training possible, and most dental school curiculums turn out competent dentists. The big difference for all of you is the costs. My dental school loans were anywhere from 1/2 to 1/4 of those in my residency who went to private dental schools. How this relates is that every month I write out a loan repayment check for about $800 where their's are between $1600 to $3200 per month!

:wow: holy snikies!!!! that's A LOT of money each month. how long do the student loans ppl take out generally take to pay off after school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just think, when the OP posted this thread, they hadn't even started not counting your votes for the presidential election. And noone had any idea what a hanging chad was. Or a blue state. Or manbearpig.

Let's have a great big round of applause digging up 6 year old threads.

usually schools in an underseved community. For instance alabama and uofp are in or around underserved community where you get to do a lot of different clinical work.
pacific is around an underserved community? :eek: :laugh:

Looked pretty nice to me!

I don't see how temple would make it into the top ten either. If we are talking top ten clinical schools then yes, temple would be on the list but it looks like you are listing the top ten research schools. If you are looking for clinical schools then go to case, detroit, UoP, temple, or a school in any underserved community. Just about all the schools in CA are known to have good clinics also.

I don't see how temple would make it into the top ten either. If we are talking top ten clinical schools then yes, temple would be on the list but it looks like you are listing the top ten research schools. If you are looking for clinical schools then go to case, detroit, UoP, temple, or a school in any underserved community. Just about all the schools in CA are known to have good clinics also.
Yeah, I wouldn't put temple in the top ten for anything. But, I digress...

#1- OSU

I made that up!

this post started when i was 14...

hahahahhaha...yeah, i was 15, I think I might have had internet then....maybe....what a great post to dig up

I wonder what the first post on SDN pre-dent was?

I thought they got rid of rankings in '94 or '97. What's more important is which dental school is right for you based on teaching style, location, etc. I thought....

So just for kicks, if you guys had to rank them, based on what you have heard, how would you do it? It was so frustrating trying to figure out what schools to apply too, everyone had a different opinion on who gave a good education, produced good dentists, had a positive learning environment, etc.

I have no idea, but I'm thinking top 5 (in no particular order)

UW, UNC, San Antonio, Harvard, Colombia

Go to Predents.com. Right now these are my schools of choice:

A & M Baylor School of Dentistry
University of Pacific - Arthur A. Dugoni Dental School [San Francisco]
University of California -San Fran School of Dentistry....
University of Texas Dental Branch of Houston...

I'm not saying we need to figure out which schools have the best reputation and try to go there. Look at the schools I listed and the schools I've applied to.
Of course all schools have different things going for them and you should apply to the one's you think will most suit you.
I just think it's interesting how different people's opinions of schools are, and I'm curious to see how that differs geographically. And finding out reputations IS a PART of doing your own research - have you not asked dentists/health advisors/dental students what they think of certain schools? If all the dentists I talk to think school X turns out bad dentists, it's going to make me think twice about the school. Likewise, if alumni of school Y say they were unhappy and got a bad education - I want to know. It's all pieces of the puzzle.

Here - I'll rephrase the question:
What schools have the best reputation in your area?

1. San Antonio
2. Baylor
2. Houston

No other schools are worthy of being ranked, IMO.

Are you asking me? If you can't win then join them... :)

I just recieved acceptance letters from 8 out of the 12 schools I applied to in the Northeasten United States so the title of this forum interests me greatly. I plan on going past my four years of dental school and specializing in oral surgery. What can I say, I find implants, bone filing, and mandibular reconstructions facinating. They officially stopped ranking dental schools in the late 90's because as many of you have pointed out, certain schools stress certain areas of acedemic and surgical development more or less than others. In any case no matter where you attend if you simply plan on becomming a general practitioner any school will do. True, some schools are better than others, but if it comes down to an extra $100,000 more, pick the school that is cheaper. You are going to recieve an excellent education no matter where you go. As for myself, since I am determined to specialize, it makes a difference where I go to dental school. My top three choices are UConn, Harvard, and Stonybrook. Small class sizes, great first board scores, and high numbers of graduates attaining advanced dental degrees are the numbers that i'm basing my decision upon. That and my father (who is a dentist, graduated from Buffalo in 71) has put me into contact with alumni from several of the institutions I applied to.

...I plan on going past my four years of dental school and specializing in oral surgery. What can I say, I find implants, bone filing, and mandibular reconstructions facinating...

Then attend Temple, they have one of the best Oral Surgery programs! You will see so many patients! I interviewed there in November, and they told us that 35%(approx.) of their graduates specialize in Oral Surgery. The average wait is 1year.

Top Ten schools, in no particular order.

BU, UF, Columbia, UPenn, Temple, UConn, Uof Pacific, Case, Iowa, UNC

(No to Harvard b/c from what I have read you as a dental student are on your own.)

Then attend Temple, they have one of the best Oral Surgery programs! You will see so many patients! I interviewed there in November, and they told us that 35%(approx.) of their graduates specialize in Oral Surgery. The average wait is 1year.

Top Ten schools, in no particular order.

BU, UF, Columbia, UPenn, Temple, UConn, Uof Pacific, Case, Iowa, UNC

(No to Harvard b/c from what I have read you as a dental student are on your own.)

I'm curious as to why you put BU over Tufts, didn't add Maryland or Michigan and a little bit questionable on some of the others..

I'm curious as to why you put BU over Tufts, didn't add Maryland or Michigan and a little bit questionable on some of the others..

Those top ten are based on, my opinions.
BU over Tufts, b/c I was accepted to BU, I did not even bother to apply to Tufts, and they have a too large of a class(161). BU has the EXCEL, APEX, and hundreds of other outreach programs. BU is recognized, they are the best for perio, the assistant dean Dr.Shaw is hands down one of the reasons I am going there. She and other dentist at BU invented many endo procedures.
Michigan, and Maryland both have an excellent program.

Ok, I see by leaving Maryland out is not good.

Revised!

BU, UF, Columbia, UPenn, Temple, Maryland, Uof Pacific, Uof Wash, Iowa, UNC

University of Florida!!!!

The best public university!
The best dental school (and it's cheap)! ;)
The best football team!
The best basketball team!

Why would you want to go anywhere else? :laugh:

It is where u wanna go....
This business is of dealing with health care....
So evey school should be prepared or esle who would go then...

So what all matters is I guess your own preference, les say tution, where u wanna live, like that....and if u really want then school's reputation

Last fall the class of 2005 ranked NUMBER ONE in the country on Part II of the national board exams , and in March the school moved into the top 10 nationwide in funding from the National Institute of Dental Crainiofacial Research (NIDCR), a division of the National Institutes of Health.
The class of '05 also ranked fifth in the nation on Part I of national board exam which they took between their sophomore and junior years.
Of the class of '05, 48% went on to pursure advanced dental education.

(this data was published in the Spring issue of "UAB Dentistry " magazine, 2006.)

I was still in high school when this thread was made :cool:

Last fall the class of 2005 ranked NUMBER ONE in the country on Part II of the national board exams , and in March the school moved into the top 10 nationwide in funding from the National Institute of Dental Crainiofacial Research (NIDCR), a division of the National Institutes of Health.
The class of '05 also ranked fifth in the nation on Part I of national board exam which they took between their sophomore and junior years.

(this data was published in the Spring issue of "UAB Dentistry " magazine, 2006.)

For reference I found and included the link below for NIDCR funding.

http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/Funding/DentalSchools/GrantstoAcademicInstitutions2005.htm

Institutions, FY 2005
In Rank Order of Amount Funded

Rank
Institution
FY 2005 Amount

UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA SAN FRANCISCO

UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN AT ANN ARBOR

UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON

FORSYTH INSTITUTE

UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA CHAPEL HILL

NEW YORK UNIVERSITY

UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA LOS ANGELES

UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA

UNIVERSITY OF ROCHESTER

UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA AT BIRMINGHAM

UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA TWIN CITIES

UNIVERSITY OF IOWA

BOSTON UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CAMPUS

UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT CHICAGO

UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND BALT PROF SCHOOL

UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO DENVER/HSC AURORA

UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS HLTH SCI CTR SAN ANT

STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK AT BUFFALO

UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT SCH OF MED/DNT

TEXAS A&M UNIVERSITY HEALTH SCIENCE CTR

UNIVERSITY OF LOUISVILLE

UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA

UNIVERSITY OF MED/DENT NJ NEWARK

UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI KANSAS CITY

CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY

UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH AT PITTSBURGH

OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY

COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY HEALTH SCIENCES

UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY

MEDICAL UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA

INDIANA UNIV-PURDUE UNIV AT INDIANAPOLIS

UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS HLTH SCI CTR HOUSTON

HARVARD UNIVERSITY (MEDICAL SCHOOL)

VIRGINIA COMMONWEALTH UNIVERSITY

MEDICAL COLLEGE OF GEORGIA (MCG)

UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA MEDICAL CENTER

LOUISIANA STATE UNIV HSC NEW ORLEANS

NOVA SOUTHEASTERN UNIVERSITY

STATE UNIVERSITY NEW YORK STONY BROOK

TUFTS UNIVERSITY BOSTON

OREGON HEALTH & SCIENCE UNIVERSITY

CREIGHTON UNIVERSITY

UNIVERSITY OF THE PACIFIC-SAN FRANCISCO

MEHARRY MEDICAL COLLEGE

MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY

UNIVERSITY OF PUERTO RICO MED SCIENCES

Total:

Printer-Friendly Version

Funding for Research and Training Current Funding Opportunities
Dental Schools/Infrastructure
Funding Mechanisms
FY 2006 Extramural Funding Plan
Grants Application and Review Process
Research Supplements
Training

[ NIDCR Home Page | Contact Us | Web Policies | Search | Site Index | Using This Site ]
National Institute of
Dental and Craniofacial Research
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, MD 20892-2190
e-mail: [email protected]
phone: 301/496-4261
web: www.nidcr.nih.gov

National Institutes of Health
Department of Health
and Human Services

Here are the Official Top 5 Dental Schools!

1. UOP (Pacific)
2. Harvard
3. UCSF
4. UCLA
5. Columbia

by "official" I mean my baby nephew pulled them out of a hat (he's really smart though)

advanced dental education doesnt mean too much, a lot of people could be doing gpr's. it doesnt mean 48% specialize.

Reply to "Pick My" oopps I meant "Pick Me"

I did not say that 48 % specialize. Just quoting a magazine article that I read. The article didnt, say specialize.

To be able to read and deduct what was not meant by what was not said.. gee ... your real special.

Number one in the country on National Board Part II does mean much. And that Penn Dental's new Dean came from UAB. She was the head of perio for almost 16 years.

Columbia is a great institution in ALL of its schools, but I honestly believe that it will not even the the best dental school in New York in the next 5-10 years. Yes, I am biased, but... I really do think this will happen. The sweeping changes and the vast improvements (only in the past 3-5 years) that are taking place here at NYU are too much to ignore. Dental education in the 21st century goes beyond "higher percentage of graduates who go on to specialize" or the opinions that are solicited from those on SDN or our parents' uncles' friends' dogs' babysitters' dentists.

Or perhaps I am just crossing my fingers and wishing for the above since I chose NYU over Columbia (the only 2 schools to which I was accepted). But... if any of you are genuinely curious as to why I believe NYUCD will make a significant contribution to the field of dental education as a whole in the next decade... read some of my (somewhat biased, of course) previous posts.

Columbia
Harvard
Penn
UCLA

I think more people apply to arizona than any other, and it is also the hardest to get into (at least that is what I heard)
1. ASDOH
2. UoP
3. Colorado
4. UCLA
5. Tufts
Last: tied Temple and Indiana
I used Chompers method of picking though