Dental Instruments on board a flight in the US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PerioPassion

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

It might seem a random post but was curious if we could carry dental instruments' like hand scalers and curettes onboard a flight in the US. I know we cant place them in carryon baggage but are they allowed in checked baggage?

Members don't see this ad.

#1 I would put those instruments in my checked baggage to avoid issues. (I never heard of a ban on checked luggage for such equipment.)
#2 If you must take those instruments in your carry-on be sure to have proof of your profession. For example, a business card and/or a copy of your dental or RDH license.

Last edited:
#1 I would put those instruments in my checked baggage to avoid issues. (I never heard of a ban on checked luggage for such equipment.)
#2 If you must take those instruments in your carry-on be sure to have proof of your profession. For example, a business card and/or a copy of your dental or RDH license.
Thank you for your prompt response. I appreciate it.

Logistically, you should check them.

TSA likely will not allow you to carry these on, no matter your credentials. By then, you’ll have passed the checking desk. You’ll lose the instruments unless you are willing to get out of line and start over. But will you then have a bag you can check?