Dental Academia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SHe...

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I am a pre-dental student who is interested in potentially going into academia after dental school. I know my focus should be getting into dental school first but I am very curious about what it's like for a new-grad to go into academia. Are there any positions that would hire someone fresh out of dental school or do one typically need a couple years of experience? Do you have to have a phd or some other degree to be hired? (I only have research experience in neurobio and chem so I feel like I'm not very competitive for a DMD/phd program.) Are there many positions open or is it very competitive? Do positions tend to be full-time or part-time? Are there any programs that directs into academia that I should be considering when making my school list?

Also, I am an international student so I would need H1B sponsorship. Do anyone have any ideas whether schools would be willing to offer them? Would there be exemption?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any positions that would hire someone fresh out of dental school or do one typically need a couple years of experience? Do you have to have a phd or some other degree to be hired?
Academia: take a very close look at the type of faculty at the school. Most preceptors are part-time since they run their own practices. You usually need to finish your post graduate training. The PhD isn't that important unless you really want to be focused on research.

ADEA has programs for those interested in academic dentistry, and the current professoriate is aging or retiring.

H1B visas are always tricky but each university should be able to address your questions about supporting those on a H1B visa.

Reactions: 1 user