Demographics of rad onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoodmanBrown

is walking down the path.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about the general demographics of rad onc practices. For instance, in my town of ~45,000 people, it appears that the only rad onc practice is in the hospital's cancer center. There are 3 rad onc doctors. This isn't 100% sure, but it's all I could find via google and other sources for my town. So, that seems pretty small.

The AMA says there are about 2.11 doctors per 1,000 people, and Kaiser says Virginia is a bit higher with 3.0 non-federal physicians per 1,000 people. So, that's around 135 total physicians, using Kaiser. Of those, AMA again says that about 35% are non-OB/GYN primary care doctors (i.e. FM, int. med & hospitalists, and peds). So, that's around 45-50 primary care doctors in the town.

So, my basic question is: Does this seem like a correct ratio for rad onc doctors to general primary care doctors? It'd be around 1:15 rad onc to primary care.

Obviously it would go out of whack for academic centers, but the nearest med school is >1 hour away, so I don't think that's too much of an issue.

Members don't see this ad.