deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cutejeans

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello, I am a reapplicant for the current 2022-2023 cycle. My last cycle was 2021-2022, during which I simply sent my college's committee letter to every school. This year, I asked for a number of updates and new letters and I realized I have much more to think about with which letters to assign to schools. Here is what I have:
  • 1 Committee Letter, including 3 professors (non-MD/DO), dated 2021 (my school does not do updates for alumni)
  • 2 updated letters from professors (non-MD/DO) - their previous letters were included in the committee letter
  • 1 new MD letter from paid clinical job
  • 1 new letter from supervisor from paid clinical job
  • 1 new DO letter
I have been researching the number of allowed letters for each school I'm applying to, and I read some only allow either 1 Committee Letter or 3 individual letters. My question is, in that case is the Committee letter from last year a better choice than my new/updated letters, even the ones from MD/DO?

And would it be redundant to submit the updated letters from the professors who were also included in the committee letter? I really appreciate each recommender's time and effort they placed into each letter, so I do want to send the updated ones. I'm wondering if it would be a mistake to omit the Committee letter altogether for that reason though?

Would appreciate any advice, thank you so much!
I've got a similar question and will be hoping that this thread draws some attention. In my case, my school provided committee letters as both a composite packet or a noncomposite committee letter. But these won't be released until August 1st. So I'm wondering how students should be evaluating the relative "worth" of a committee letter. Some people from admissions have told me that due to the sheer number of applicants, even if the letters address different areas, all of them might not be read.

With that in mind, I wonder if submitting individual letters earlier in the cycle might be worth more than waiting for a committee letter (even a composite with more letters) to submit later in the cycle.

Also just as an update, I found some other threads hitting on similar notes as you and I have raised. I'm not certain how best to link it, but below is the URL of one I think is answered well.

Reactions: 1 user