Deleted, thank you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Guinevere2024

Reaction score

Deleted for privacy, thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Remove Toledo since they admit few applicants who are not from the state or region. You should receive several interview from the other schools on your list.

Great list and application, you should be set up well for success!

About Dermatology...you can mention it but I wouldn't center your application around it; every school has dermatology and the specialty you want has no bearing on your ability to get in. Instead, I'd maybe see if there's a common thread amongst your clinical, volunteer and research experience. Is there a particular population you're interested in working with, or something that you would "bring" to medicine?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Remove Toledo since they admit few applicants who are not from the state or region. You should receive several interview from the other schools on your list.
Thank you. Toledo removed! How about adding 8 more:
Emory
Loyola
Rush
EVMS
AR Phoenix
Wayne state
Creighton
U Iowa

Welcome to the forums.

Many UC schools have preferences for individuals who grew up in counties near the medical campus. Make sure you qualify for the UC's that do this.

There's not much detail that points to your mission fit with schools on your list, and dermatology (as previously noted) is ubiquitous and won't help you be selective. Also, the adcoms don't just have derm faculty serving. You still need to balance your clinical experiences to recognize service orientation where you need to be comfortable getting dirty and uncomfortable. Derm doesn't usually have that rep.

Your non-clinical community service activities may be a tad light but it may be worth a shot at the Jesuit schools. Rush usually prefers applicants with at least a number closer to 1000 hours. As described, it's not clear if you have that.

T20 are seeking applicants who demonstrate advocacy and leadership potential to shape the future of healthcare. NOT me :(
I dissent. Many more schools expect their applicants to develop as leaders to advocate for their patients and promote effective change towards equitable care. General society reveres doctors as leaders (except during the COVID-19 pandemic when they're enemies of freedom...).

If that were the case, why not become a PA specializing in derm?

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I dissent. Many more schools expect their applicants to develop as leaders to advocate for their patients and promote effective change towards equitable care. General society reveres doctors as leaders (except during the COVID-19 pandemic when they're enemies of freedom...).
--Thank you for offering points that provided me with a fresh outlook I had not previously recognized.
If that were the case, why not become a PA specializing in derm? ---I want to try MD first because being able to get to the root cause of diseases gives me an immense sense of accomplishment. And I have a strong desire to pursue a surgical specialty.

Last edited:
Thank you for offering points that provided me with a fresh outlook I had not previously recognized.
My main points
1) it's not necessary to self-deprecate here. You might have the ingredients to be a good leader. You just need an encouraging environment. It doesn't need to be a T20 brand.
2) leadership qualities are valued by most schools. It is not restricted to the top brands

I want to try MD first because being able to get to the root cause of diseases gives me an immense sense of accomplishment. And I have a strong desire to pursue a surgical specialty.
Can you pursue being a surgical assistant?

I think you overestimate what the role MDs have about getting to the root cause of a problem. Patients are neither logic puzzles nor textbooks. We are much more complicated and often unsolvable. What then?

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
My main points
1) it's not necessary to self-deprecate here. You might have the ingredients to be a good leader. You just need an encouraging environment. It doesn't need to be a T20 brand.
2) leadership qualities are valued by most schools. It is not restricted to the top brands

Can you pursue being a surgical assistant?

I think you overestimate what the role MDs have about getting to the root cause of a problem. Patients are neither logic puzzles nor textbooks. We are much more complicated and often unsolvable. What then?

I understand your point, and thank you for your encouragement!

As a future doctor, I recognize the importance of not only treating the disease itself but also adopting a holistic approach that considers the patient’s psychological and emotional well-being, as well as their social relationships. My question is, how can I effectively convey this perspective to admissions committees when applying to medical schools?

I genuinely care about people as a human being, and I aspire to become a doctor equipped with the ability and knowledge to provide comprehensive care. How can I demonstrate that I am a “mission fit” for the schools to which I will apply?

I understand your point, and thank you for your encouragement!

As a future doctor, I recognize the importance of not only treating the disease itself but also adopting a holistic approach that considers the patient’s psychological and emotional well-being, as well as their social relationships. My question is, how can I effectively convey this perspective to admissions committees when applying to medical schools?

I genuinely care about people as a human being, and I aspire to become a doctor equipped with the ability and knowledge to provide comprehensive care. How can I demonstrate that I am a “mission fit” for the schools to which I will apply?

First. Enough with the jargon and buzzwords. You're going to learn about that when you are in medical school so it's great to be receptive. However you will fall short of these ideals repeatedly.

Show us how you mean to live up to your own words. Show us that you are looking for schools to teach you to live up to those words however difficult it will be. As much as schools have expectations you should have them for yourself and your schools.

Hours, actions, and impact. That's how we all will be measured as professionals and humans. Yes, your time as an adult isn't that long, but it is a privilege to be a health care provider who must safeguard our dignity and trust for our well-being and health in whatever state.

Read the advice above and consider how you have met your standards and realize your purpose with the schools on your list.

Do you believe PAs are not trained to consider their patients holistically? Are they meant to ignore socioeconomic determinants of health? There are more PAs in urgent care than doctors... so you figure their care is inferior?

Last edited:
“I want to try MD first because being able to get to the root cause of diseases gives me an immense sense of accomplishment. And I have a strong desire to pursue a surgical specialty.”

Do you think DO physicians don’t do this?
I didn’t read your initial post before you removed it so I don’t know what your stats are but if you are focused on derm , many major academic medical centers use PAs by the bucketful in many departments , Especially in Derm. You have lots of options if you want them.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
“I want to try MD first because being able to get to the root cause of diseases gives me an immense sense of accomplishment. And I have a strong desire to pursue a surgical specialty.”

Do you think DO physicians don’t do this?
I didn’t read your initial post before you removed it so I don’t know what your stats are but if you are focused on derm , many major academic medical centers use PAs by the bucketful in many departments , Especially in Derm. You have lots of options if you want them.

Thank you for the info about PA in Derm. I do not plan on applying for DO.