Delaying STEP1 until after PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noctámbulo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Given the recent announcement of upcoming changes to STEP1, have others (especially those who are currently on dedicated) considered the possibility of delaying step1 preparation until after graduate school/M3 rotations? Any thoughts on pros, as well as cons, appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

One of the anesthesiology residents in my lab did this a few years ago. He hadn't really planned it but delayed it so much that he said F it, I'll do it when I'm back on the wards. From the broad strokes of talking to him:

Pro: no score creep - more critical for super competitive specialties; Step 1 will be p/f by the time you get back so you won't be hurt by a lower than average 3-digit score for your specialty. And you'd be "close" to the material by the time you take the super critical step 2

Con: After 5 yrs of not thinking about that pre-clinical stuff --> very miserable experience since the guy re-taught himself M1-2 in 3 months and took steps 1-2. But he's one of those crazy kids that still got 250s on both so YMMV

Reactions: 1 user
One of the anesthesiology residents in my lab did this a few years ago. He hadn't really planned it but delayed it so much that he said F it, I'll do it when I'm back on the wards. From the broad strokes of talking to him:

Pro: no score creep - more critical for super competitive specialties; Step 1 will be p/f by the time you get back so you won't be hurt by a lower than average 3-digit score for your specialty. And you'd be "close" to the material by the time you take the super critical step 2

Con: After 5 yrs of not thinking about that pre-clinical stuff --> very miserable experience since the guy re-taught himself M1-2 in 3 months and took steps 1-2. But he's one of those crazy kids that still got 250s on both so YMMV

But that con is pretty much gone for the current situation right? since OP doesn't need to study super hard just to pass. Something like a B&B and Pathoma refresher would help a lot

Members don't see this ad :)
But that con is pretty much gone for the current situation right? since OP doesn't need to study super hard just to pass. Something like a B&B and Pathoma refresher would help a lot

I mean in a way. It really depends on when the OP would defend their PhD and entry back into the clinic. I'd imagine one would still be hella rusty - though delaying the defense a couple months to do some studying would resolve that (passing step 1). Then they'd go through their MS3 year like everyone else.

I mean in a way. It really depends on when the OP would defend their PhD and entry back into the clinic. I'd imagine one would still be hella rusty - though delaying the defense a couple months to do some studying would resolve that (passing step 1). Then they'd go through their MS3 year like everyone else.

devoting anything other than zero mental energy to boards during dedicated research time sounds utterly terrible tbh

Reactions: 1 users
devoting anything other than zero mental energy to boards during dedicated research time sounds utterly terrible tbh

Haha most definitely but some people do it

Since step 1 would be P/F by the time you re-enter it could be advantageous. However, most students have a passing thought that they'll keep up with the material in one way or another during the PhD, and 99% don't actually do. Focusing on both is difficult and they require different mindsets. If re-learning 2 years of medical school in a matter of 1-2 months to earn a passing score is something you're 100% confident in, then go ahead. But my recommendation leans toward enjoying the free time and flexibility that a PhD will give you instead of having a board exam to worry about. You also cannot predict how and when your PhD will end. Writing a thesis and studying for step 1 simultaneously will not be possible.

Reactions: 3 users
I personally wish the USMLE would give clearer guidance than "The USMLE program has not yet determined how the policy change will impact score reports and transcripts" in response to inquiries of "will my 3-digit score be visible on paper and ERAS transcripts?"

By the time you apply for residencies, the overwhelmingly vast majority of people you're applying with will be reporting pass/fail scores. I'm unsure whether residency programs will look at your numerical score (i.e. will it still have any relevancy?), and I'm even unsure if your 3-digit score will be visible on paper and ERAS transcripts.

I personally wish the USMLE would give clearer guidance than "The USMLE program has not yet determined how the policy change will impact score reports and transcripts" in response to inquiries of "will my 3-digit score be visible on paper and ERAS transcripts?"

By the time you apply for residencies, the overwhelmingly vast majority of people you're applying with will be reporting pass/fail scores. I'm unsure whether residency programs will look at your numerical score (i.e. will it still have any relevancy?), and I'm even unsure if your 3-digit score will be visible on paper and ERAS transcripts.

I'm not a PD but I'm guessing that in the setting of almost every single person having P/F, an MD/PhD app showing up with a score wouldnt be any different than one without it. By then I imagine the metagame wouldve moved on to other metrics to judge people by

FWIW, the National Association of MD-PhD Programs is supposedly going to lobby USMLE to retroactively convert scores to P/F for students who take Step in the next two years. It’s to be discussed at the national meeting this fall, and it’s no sure thing, but students in my program have been advised that it will likely happen.

• Wow