Delay in reporting Step 2 CK scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medical123

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
FYI. I got this message off of the NBME website.

Normal score reporting for Step 2 Clinical Knowledge (CK) usually occurs in 3
to 4 weeks. However, because of necessary modifications to the test item
pool, it will be necessary to delay the reporting of scores of some examinees
for an additional 3-4 weeks beyond the normal turnaround period. The target
date for reporting Step 2 CK scores for most examinees testing from Augsut 3
through the middle of August will be Wednesday, September 13, 2006.

Members don't see this ad.

Medical123 said:

because of necessary modifications to the test item
for an additional 3-4 weeks beyond the normal turnaround period.

The target

anyone know what is being done the test pool? have a TON of new Qs been added (i hope not)?

this will affect those taking their exams AFTER Aug 2nd? or those taking their exams afer "the middle of August"?

FarEastGrapplr2 said:
anyone know what is being done the test pool? have a TON of new Qs been added (i hope not)?

this will affect those taking their exams AFTER Aug 2nd? or those taking their exams afer "the middle of August"?

I hear they are recycling the exam after mid august. They will prolly retire a substantial number of questions...and add brand new questions in the bank...

any new questions added must be tested...one of our attendings who is really into student ed told me that they test questions for "quite a while" before they start to count. Any "new" questions wouldn't count, but they may start counting previous questions that have gone through testing cycle...

Members don't see this ad :)
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I hate being the new guinea pig... If I would have known about this I would have strategicaly planned to take the exam before August... oh well

Does anybody know anymore details?

I happen to be taking my exam this month and who knows if I'll be taking it before or after the modifications...any idea what day they are going into effect? The last thing I want to worry about is the X factor of a new test item pool. If it's just throwing out some bad Qs and testing some new ones, then I suppose there's no harm. I wonder how often they do this...every yr in Aug?

QuinnB said:
any new questions added must be tested...one of our attendings who is really into student ed told me that they test questions for "quite a while" before they start to count. Any "new" questions wouldn't count, but they may start counting previous questions that have gone through testing cycle...

The NEW questions they are adding have been already tested for a 1-year cycle! These are picked from the questions that usually dont count....but if added now....they will be fair game!

goldengate said:
I happen to be taking my exam this month and who knows if I'll be taking it before or after the modifications...any idea what day they are going into effect? The last thing I want to worry about is the X factor of a new test item pool. If it's just throwing out some bad Qs and testing some new ones, then I suppose there's no harm. I wonder how often they do this...every yr in Aug?

I think the addition of new Q is a gradual process...I think it will be between Aug 15 to the end of the month. Since they will be busy updating, it will result in a slight delay of people who took the test before Aug 15th and a substantial delay in result reporting for those that took the test from Aug 16 to end of month...

Medical123 said:

Normal score reporting for Step 2 Clinical Knowledge (CK) usually occurs in 3
to 4 weeks. However, because of necessary modifications to the test item
for an additional 3-4 weeks beyond the normal turnaround period. The target

OK I just called the NBME and this is what the representitive I spoke to said:

The score report delay will be over by mid-August. After that scores will be reported in the time period that they normaly are. The representitive I spoke to also said the delays they are experiencing right now are due to mainframe technical issues, indexing of problems, etc. and not do to changing the actual test.

If anybody else wants to call and ask the number is 215-590-9700, followed by option 1, option 1, option 1, option 0 to speak to a step I/II representitive (it was tough finding that).

StudentDoc327 said:
OK I just called the NBME and this is what the representitive I spoke to said:

The score report delay will be over by mid-August. After that scores will be reported in the time period that they normaly are. The representitive I spoke to also said the delays they are experiencing right now are due to mainframe technical issues, indexing of problems, etc. and not do to changing the actual test.

If anybody else wants to call and ask the number is 215-590-9700, followed by option 1, option 1, option 1, option 0 to speak to a step I/II representitive (it was tough finding that).

Thanks for the update!

does this mean though if you took the end of july-august 2 then it won't effect the normal time of 3.5 weeks?

g

Gumshoe said:
does this mean though if you took the end of july-august 2 then it won't effect the normal time of 3.5 weeks?

g

I need an answer because I want to send out an app with scores from step 2 on it come September 1st. Can anyone help?

G

Gumshoe said:
I need an answer because I want to send out an app with scores from step 2 on it come September 1st. Can anyone help?

G

I took my exam on July 27th. Scores were reported today, according to the NBME site. Now I can worry and check the mailbox compulsively until I find out how I did. :scared:

For American students/grads, is there a way to find out if you passed a step exam? I know how to go to the sight and find out if the grade has been "reported," but can you check anything further.

I understand that the FMG have the Oasis trick.