Deferring med school because you're having too much fun in college to leave

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dumbest premed

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone what's up? Did any of you ever consider deferring your med school acceptance for a year just to take an extra year to party your ass off in college? Ever since I got accepted, it sort of hit me like a brick, I'M GOING TO HAVE TO LEAVE COLLEGE. Right now I'm having way too much fun and getting drunk way too often to end it in a fews months. I know that some people have fun in med school, but how could it be the same? Getting sh*tfaced at house parties 2, 3, 4 times a week, hitting up the clubs every Thursday or Friday night, waking up somewhere and not knowing how the heck you got there or whose apartment or dorm you're in. I just can't pass it up yet!

So I was thinking, could I expand my psych minor into a major and pick up another minor next year, all while holding a spot in med school? I would mostly be taking easy classes and just partying like med school will never start. I already finished my minor, and I'll be done with my major after next semester, but would med schools be willing to work with me if I tell them I'm interested in getting another minor in say, anthropology? I didn't call any of them about it yet, but I'm REALLY considering it. I just don't know when and if I'll ever get the chance to party so much again. There's nothing like undergrad parties...all of the others I went to sucked!! What do you all think about deferring? Also, I'm 20 now and I would be starting med school after I turn 21 if I don't defer. Isn't 22 the average age of matriculation anyway? What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

where are you in school now? and where do you want to defer at? i'll be starting med school while still 21. if don't feel like i'll be missing out after starting school, but i mean no getting drunk wed-sun nights or anything!

Originally posted by Mrs.S
where are you in school now? and where do you want to defer at? i'll be starting med school while still 21. if don't feel like i'll be missing out after starting school, but i mean no getting drunk wed-sun nights or anything!

I go to school at SUNY in New York. Right now I would be deferring at UMich, but I would also like to know if anyone had any success deferring at Columbia.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by dumbest premed
Hey everyone what's up? Did any of you ever consider deferring your med school acceptance for a year just to take an extra year to party your ass off in college? Ever since I got accepted, it sort of hit me like a brick, I'M GOING TO HAVE TO LEAVE COLLEGE. Right now I'm having way too much fun and getting drunk way too often to end it in a fews months. I know that some people have fun in med school, but how could it be the same? Getting sh*tfaced at house parties 2, 3, 4 times a week, hitting up the clubs every Thursday or Friday night, waking up somewhere and not knowing how the heck you got there or whose apartment or dorm you're in. I just can't pass it up yet!

So I was thinking, could I expand my psych minor into a major and pick up another minor next year, all while holding a spot in med school? I would mostly be taking easy classes and just partying like med school will never start. I already finished my minor, and I'll be done with my major after next semester, but would med schools be willing to work with me if I tell them I'm interested in getting another minor in say, anthropology? I didn't call any of them about it yet, but I'm REALLY considering it. I just don't know when and if I'll ever get the chance to party so much again. There's nothing like undergrad parties...all of the others I went to sucked!! What do you all think about deferring? Also, I'm 20 now and I would be starting med school after I turn 21 if I don't defer. Isn't 22 the average age of matriculation anyway? What do you all think?

I know how you feel exactly. That "But I don't WANNA leave!" feeling, lol.

But think of it this way... you have until spring to party your butt off. And you'll leave undergrad before the lifestyle gets "old." I think it's much better to leave something before you are ready to rather than to let it drag out, y'know? Besides, you'll go out as a med student. I mean, it's not humanly possible to study constantly, like every second of the day (well I suppose that could be argued) and it's likely you won't be holding a job down while in med school... so don't worry, there are plenty of fun times ahead. Life can always be good, whether you're in med school or not... stress is a matter of perception...

If leaving undergrad is bittersweet, then you know it was perfect :)

Is it that easy? You make it sound as if defering is as easy as pie. I was always under the impression that you had to be very sick (or have some other major emergency) to defer. Please do tell, if you are really defering, for such a minor reason.

Originally posted by rgporter
Is it that easy? You make it sound as if defering is as easy as pie. I was always under the impression that you had to be very sick (or have some other major emergency) to defer. Please do tell, if you are really defering, for such a minor reason.

I really don't know if it's that easy. I said that I would really like to defer, but not that I know that I'll be able to.

If anyone has deferred to pursue academic interests (not necessary another degree, but just extra undergrad classes), please share if med schools readily allow accepted applicants to do this.

I know someone who applied to his state school under th assurance that he would be able to defer in order to finish his MPH. However, when he was accepted to the school and asked for a deferal, he was denied. So, he was faced with abandoning his MPH and starting med school, or applying again. He is applying again.

Point is, it's NOT easy to defer--at most places you have to have a REALLY good reason. I don't think "partying" is going to cut it:)

Do you go to Stony Brook?

Deferring isn't easy everywhere. Not sure about Columbia, though. Most schools want to know that you are doing something that is potentially "life-changing". Maybe - if you're clever enough - you can make a case for alcohol consumption.