decreased competitiveness this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chronicidal

Scrub
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The number of applicants to ENT is down 21.1% (124 ppl) compared to last year. This was coupled with an abrupt increase in mean applications to 62.0 programs this year vs. 46.1 last year.

How do you explain this?

My guess is multifactorial: 1) some applicants are dissuaded by the relatively high unmatched rate in ENT in recent years (on par with plastics, derm, neurosurg, and ortho). 2) some applicants are increasingly drawn to other surgical subspecialties, namely ortho (which increased applicant number by 12.2% this year). 3) the previous year had an unusually high number of applicants, so actually this year is on par with most other years.

Source: https://www.aamc.org/download/321564/data/factstable41.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

I am only a first year but I have spoken with 4th years and heard some differing opinions. Your first guess is incredibly accurate. It is really stressful to bother with an uphill battle when you can match in general surgery and move on. Many people eliminate Uro, ENT, and Derm right away in 1st and 2nd years because of the number.

Thats for 2013 to 2014. The preliminary data for 2015 actually shows a further drop in applicants this year. Not sure if it was a crazy spike the previous few years or if there's another explanation.

That said, the otomatch threads show several qualified people on paper (255+ step, AOA) not having any luck in securing interviews, so I think to apply you really need to have the whole package - boards, letters, research, grades. Without any glaring weaknesses.

Members don't see this ad :)
the specialty is changing and not for the better. Too bad.

Thats for 2013 to 2014. The preliminary data for 2015 actually shows a further drop in applicants this year. Not sure if Twas a crazy spike the previous few years or if there's another explanation.

That said, the otomatch threads show several qualified people on paper (255+ step, AOA) not having any luck in securing interviews, so I think to apply you really need to have the whole package - boards, letters, research, grades. Without any glaring weaknesses.

Where's the preliminary data for this year? I've been hearing General Surgery has a lot more applicants this year but haven't found the numbers to back it up.