Decision Thread - 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey symphonyinc11 & azure8011! I'll be heading to Cal in the Fall as well and I couldn't be more thrilled since this was always my dream grad school! :soexcited:Like both of you I got into more highly ranked programs (Johns Hopkins MSPH and Harvard SM), but I couldn't beat the combination of a smaller school of public health with a strong social justice mission, brilliant yet laid back and approachable faculty, a fellowship with in-state tuition, and living in the SF Bay Area. My biggest headache right now is finding housing since I'll be relocating from So Cal. From what I've gathered the majority of grad students live in Berkeley city with some choosing to venture out to adjacent communities such as Albany, El Cerrito, and Rockridge/North Oakland area. It appears that south of campus is more densley populated especially with undergrads while the north-west side of campus near the "gourmet ghetto" tends to have more grad students because it's cleaner and quieter but that also means more expensive. I really need to find a roommate though because I don't see how I can make this affordable otherwise...it appears that most people use Craigslist but I've never tried it and think it's a bit too sketchy for me. Do y'all know if we'll get a contact list from the School of Public Health or our department with this year's cohort so we can start contacting potential roommates? I think symphonyinc11 that starting a Facebook page is a great idea since I couldn't find anything useful either...

Congrats coffemaniac! I don't know if we'll be put into contact with the rest of the class, but I'm planning on emailing someone in admissions or some other related department to see what's up. Actually, I'll go ahead and create a thread in this forum for us Cal people.

I'm going to PM you. I am looking for a roommate, too, as I am coming in from Georgia and I won't know anyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Emory for me as well! I'll be in BSHE. I can't wait!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm officially going to BU! I had already reserved my spot but was still holding out for USF (for in state tuition), even though BU really was where I wanted to go!

Accepted: Drexel, BU, UT-Houston, Tulane
Rejected: USF, GWU

I'm so excited for the fall! And super anxious to be living in Boston! eek:soexcited:

So I got accepted from schools a long time ago (January), but now I'm finally getting around to posting.

Rejected: Yale (HMP)
Accepted: UIC (HMP), Michigan (HBHE), Emory (HMP), Minnesota (Environmental Health)

Michigan vs Emory was the hardest decision I've ever had to make...
and I will be attending........EMORY IN THE FALLLLLL
HOLLA

It's nice too see everyone putting out their decisions.... And for me, EMORY it is too!!!! HPM in Emory, can't wait!!!

So I got accepted from schools a long time ago (January), but now I'm finally getting around to posting.

Rejected: Yale (HMP)
Accepted: UIC (HMP), Michigan (HBHE), Emory (HMP), Minnesota (Environmental Health)

Michigan vs Emory was the hardest decision I've ever had to make...
and I will be attending........EMORY IN THE FALLLLLL
HOLLA

Nice to see someone in HPM for Emory!!! :thumbup:
See you in the fall yodudedudeyo!

I'm so excited about all the Emory love! Woohoo! See you guys in the fall :)

I'm so excited about all the Emory love! Woohoo! See you guys in the fall :)

Same here! Yoohoo! Waiting to meet everyone, its going to be so exciting!!!
Loads of things to figure out though -house, faculty, loan, bla bla... nevertheless exciting! :)

I'll also be doing HPM at Emory, so I look forward to meeting you guys (Though statistically speaking, it'd probably be more appropriate to say "gals").

You guys look into housing yet? I know Awapi's signed her lease already.

I'm really considering Post Briarcliff and Highland Lake right now - while I was there, I thought it was over the top (price wise), but now I'm just concerned about accessibility to the shuttle and safety, primarily.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I found a place via Emory's Off-Campus Housing Finder (https://housing.emory.edu/off-campus/home.cfm)! It seems to be really active, and I just sent a lot of e-mails to places that interested me until I found one that fit. I'll be near in Decatur.

I tried promove (http://www.promove.com), but in the end I couldn't find an affordable complex nearby that didn't have 90% bad reviews on apartmentratings. It probably would have worked fine, though, if I didn't have a dog and planned on having roommates. Also, the representative was very communicative and they did make an effort to meet all of my criteria. Also, it's free.

For those heading to Brown, have you heard anything from them yet? I spoke with someone a while ago and was told we would be getting a huge e-mail within a week (this was two weeks ago).

I guess Im just anxious!

I found a place via Emory's Off-Campus Housing Finder (https://housing.emory.edu/off-campus/home.cfm)! It seems to be really active, and I just sent a lot of e-mails to places that interested me until I found one that fit. I'll be near in Decatur.

I tried promove (http://www.promove.com), but in the end I couldn't find an affordable complex nearby that didn't have 90% bad reviews on apartmentratings. It probably would have worked fine, though, if I didn't have a dog and planned on having roommates. Also, the representative was very communicative and they did make an effort to meet all of my criteria. Also, it's free.

I've been using the Off-Campus Housing Finder, but I'm really not from the area so I won't be able to check out a condo or an independently owned apartment. Did you take the time to check out the places, or did you sign it without seeing it?

I've been using ProMove and ApartmentRatings, too. It looks like I'm pretty much going to have to sign at Gables Sheridan or Post Briarcliff just because I want to be in a reasonably safe area, and I have a dog.

I've been using the Off-Campus Housing Finder, but I'm really not from the area so I won't be able to check out a condo or an independently owned apartment. Did you take the time to check out the places, or did you sign it without seeing it?

I've been using ProMove and ApartmentRatings, too. It looks like I'm pretty much going to have to sign at Gables Sheridan or Post Briarcliff just because I want to be in a reasonably safe area, and I have a dog.
Hey Russell,

There's a lot to consider obviously when trying to find a place to move into in Atl (or anywhere for that matter). My one suggestion would be to figure out what you would prefer the most (proximity to emory, ability to walk around and reach places etc etc). Just remember that Atlanta is really a city in which you will need a car to effectively get around, since public transport is severely lacking. I've been here for the last year or so and am looking at a bunch of different options. The Emory listings have a huge number of good options so do spend some time looking through them. I've been staying at a place that I found through those listings for the last 4 months and its worked out quite well. My pick for an area that is relatively close to Emory (with a shuttle stop at the decatur marta station) that simultaneously also gives you a 'city' feel (close by to restaurants,shops,groceries,bars et al) would be downtown decatur. You could use walkscore.com, if reaching places on foot is a consideration for you. Feel free to msg me with more specific questions if you like. In terms of safety, I've lived in three very different parts of Atlanta and have never really felt unsafe anywhere.

I'll also be doing HPM at Emory, so I look forward to meeting you guys (Though statistically speaking, it'd probably be more appropriate to say "gals").

You guys look into housing yet? I know Awapi's signed her lease already.

I'm really considering Post Briarcliff and Highland Lake right now - while I was there, I thought it was over the top (price wise), but now I'm just concerned about accessibility to the shuttle and safety, primarily.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Hey Russell! Nice to see that you too are joining the Emory troop! :)

Been travelling a lot these days, so not looked into housing yet, but I better start before it's too late... Looks like the registration for classes is between June 21st and July 8th.. Are you in the policy or the management track?

Hello Emoryites!!!
Guess everyone's into housing options and stuff. I'm looking to share an apartment (making it more affordable) with a female roommate. If anyone's interested and looking for the same, please do pm me, so we can check out our compatibility. :)

I was lucky, because I knew someone in the area who looked at the place for me, but I wouldn't have been able to go see it myself. I asked for pictures and the landlord was very communicative and helpful, though, so I was comfortable enough that I would have taken it even without seeing it (with a minor amount of panic). I would have asked about being able to contact a current tenant, though.

I also did a lot of research on city-data forums to get a feel for neighborhoods and read up on http://clatl.com/atlanta/NeighborhoodGuide. I did the same thing when I was considering another school - checked city data, reddit, and local publications to get a feel for the city. I also read lots of apartment reviews, but that mostly made me really pessimistic :p I would imagine that looking at complexes that commonly house graduate students is a pretty good bet, though, especially if you can talk to someone who lives there.