Decision Thread - 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ouch...Well how else was I suppose to phrase it? It was never my intention to gloat...I apologize if I offended any of you in any way.

Btw, thanks for being so supportive. :)

If my trip to Visit Emory goes well and nothing super interesting happens with financial aid elsewhere, Emory is going to be my pick. It just feel like the "right" choice. They have been incredibly accommodating to me all around and it's really impressed me. I will be in the GH department on the reproductive health/population studies track.

Rationale: Emory has some of the most comprehensive course listings when it comes to reproductive health & family planning. In addition, their global field experiences are pretty enticing. Plus, Atlanta looks like an interesting change of pace. The one negative is that it looks like I will have to buy a car, but oh well.

Applied: Emory, UPitt, UNC, BU
Accepted: Emory UPitt
Waiting: BU, UNC

Members don't see this ad :)
If my trip to Visit Emory goes well and nothing super interesting happens with financial aid elsewhere, Emory is going to be my pick.

Plus, Atlanta looks like an interesting change of pace. The one negative is that it looks like I will have to buy a car, but oh well.

Excellent!! I just wanted to say that, although having a car may be essential for some, two of my friends go to Emory now (not in MPH, but other grad programs) and they use the Cliff Shuttle. It's a free shuttle bus that apparently runs right down Clifton Ave (where the Public Health buildings are located) and it picks up by several apartment complexes and shopping areas around and a few miles from Emory. I'm planning on checking out what apartment complexes are on/near the shuttle route and seeing if I can get in there. I figure that there will probably be other students in those apartment complexes who could give me a ride, or I could ride my bike if something happened with the Cliff Shuttle. I talked to another girl who met with me when I was there who also rides the shuttle and has a bike for days when it is sunny (but no car). It may not be ideal (some days you may get delayed or stuck in the rain), but I guess you would run that risk at any school you didn't have a car at!

Anyhoo, it might not work out, but I just wanted to share the info so you can check it out as well if you want! Good luck! Maybe I'll see you at Visit Emory :)

finally made a decision...i will be attending UNC-Chapel Hill next year for HPM! :)

-waystinthyme

Columbia!!! I did not think this decision was going to be easy... but once I was accepted it seemed like a no-brainer.

Going for an MPH in Health Policy and Management. Specialization in Healthcare Management

Going to EMORY MPH ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH.....ANYBODY TO EMORY FOR EH?

Hi Raj,

I'm an IMG from India and have been accepted into Emory's Global Envt Health program. I'm still debating between other options and this one, although its high on my list. What made you choose emory?

Thanks!

Hey Awapi,

Congratulations on Emory! I've been accepted to their Global Envt Health program. I've been working at Winship for the last 5 months, so kind of have an idea about Atlanta and Emory. I was just wondering if you would be so kind as to list what were the most important factors in you picking Emory. I would hate second guessing myself, so just kind of trying to get more opinions before i absolutely have to make a decision..lol

Thanks!

Hey Awapi,

Congratulations on Emory! I've been accepted to their Global Envt Health program. I've been working at Winship for the last 5 months, so kind of have an idea about Atlanta and Emory. I was just wondering if you would be so kind as to list what were the most important factors in you picking Emory. I would hate second guessing myself, so just kind of trying to get more opinions before i absolutely have to make a decision..lol

Thanks!

Hey Glamdring,
Congratulations!!!!!!!!
First of all Emory is a great school.Heard so much about it and its association with CDC.It has always been my first choice.
Secondly,i dont have to worry about accommodation in Atlanta as everything is already set.I have been there many times,stayed few months and know the city quite well and have lots of friends.

If you dont mind can i ask u something?....where you from?i live in chennai.

Hey Awapi,

Thanks!

For me there were several factors, I'll try to list some of the more important ones (in no particular order of importance :) ):

- Research/field opportunities, I really like the GFE (Global Field Experience) that students are encouraged to do between their first and second year. Because this is a long standing program the practice is well known so, although it won't just fall in your lap, there are a lot of possible projects to work on. On the list online right now there are projects working with the CDC, CARE, and many others (including environmental health like waster and sanitation projects). Faculty, staff, and associated researchers are aware that students will be wishing to work on a GFE project and seem open and eager to help students find a project that matches their interests. I plan to do mine abroad, but there are also GFE projects based in Atlanta, so you don't have to leave the country to do one.
- 2 year/4 semester program with block tuition - I can take extra courses in public health or I can take undergraduate courses - like a language course - for "free" (as included in my tuition block). Since you can take 11-16 hours a semester...obviously you don't want to overload yourself, but I plan to take a course or two extra each semester to take advantage of the opportunity to expand my degree.
- Closely aligned (both physically and through contacts/working relationship) with organizations such as the CDC and the Carter Center (and others) - I would like to ultimately work for one of these organizations, so this was very appealing to me.
- Respected and well-known in Public Health both domestically and abroad.
- Faculty, staff, and representative students have all been helpful, open, and welcoming throughout my application process. The faculty is made of up people who have done amazing things in public health throughout their lives and have every right to feel very superior to someone new to the field like myself, but instead they are happy to take time out of their day to speak with students and they treat them with respect.
- Emory require a thesis, some schools don't, but I think that asking/requiring more of students is one of the reasons Emory has the reputation that it does. I look forward to the challenge and to the research and work it will require.
- I visited and just really loved the school and the people I met there.

There are other reasons, but these are a lot of the main ones. The merit scholarship I received really sealed the deal. I can't wait for fall and to get started!

The mentor they assigned me graduated from Emory's Global Environmental Health program, he now works at the CDC and had nothing but great things to say about the program. Good luck with your decision!!

Hey Glamdring,
Congratulations!!!!!!!!
First of all Emory is a great school.Heard so much about it and its association with CDC.It has always been my first choice.
Secondly,i dont have to worry about accommodation in Atlanta as everything is already set.I have been there many times,stayed few months and know the city quite well and have lots of friends.

If you dont mind can i ask u something?....where you from?i live in chennai.

Hi Raj,

Incidentally I happen to be from Chennai as well. I have been living and working in Atlanta for the last 6 months at the Winship Cancer Center. Glad to hear that if I decide on Emory that there will be someone else from Chennai around :)

For me there were several factors, I'll try to list some of the more important ones (in no particular order of importance :) ):

- Research/field opportunities, I really like the GFE (Global Field Experience) that students are encouraged to do between their first and second year. Because this is a long standing program the practice is well known so, although it won't just fall in your lap, there are a lot of possible projects to work on. On the list online right now there are projects working with the CDC, CARE, and many others (including environmental health like waster and sanitation projects). Faculty, staff, and associated researchers are aware that students will be wishing to work on a GFE project and seem open and eager to help students find a project that matches their interests. I plan to do mine abroad, but there are also GFE projects based in Atlanta, so you don't have to leave the country to do one.
- 2 year/4 semester program with block tuition - I can take extra courses in public health or I can take undergraduate courses - like a language course - for "free" (as included in my tuition block). Since you can take 11-16 hours a semester...obviously you don't want to overload yourself, but I plan to take a course or two extra each semester to take advantage of the opportunity to expand my degree.
- Closely aligned (both physically and through contacts/working relationship) with organizations such as the CDC and the Carter Center (and others) - I would like to ultimately work for one of these organizations, so this was very appealing to me.
- Respected and well-known in Public Health both domestically and abroad.
- Faculty, staff, and representative students have all been helpful, open, and welcoming throughout my application process. The faculty is made of up people who have done amazing things in public health throughout their lives and have every right to feel very superior to someone new to the field like myself, but instead they are happy to take time out of their day to speak with students and they treat them with respect.
- Emory require a thesis, some schools don't, but I think that asking/requiring more of students is one of the reasons Emory has the reputation that it does. I look forward to the challenge and to the research and work it will require.
- I visited and just really loved the school and the people I met there.

There are other reasons, but these are a lot of the main ones. The merit scholarship I received really sealed the deal. I can't wait for fall and to get started!

The mentor they assigned me graduated from Emory's Global Environmental Health program, he now works at the CDC and had nothing but great things to say about the program. Good luck with your decision!!

Thanks for taking the trouble to answer that in such detail. At the moment I'm leaning toward Emory very heavily, but still waiting on a decision or two that I know will come in by next week. I agree with a lot of the conclusions you've drawn about Emory. Thanks again for the perspective!

Congrats on making your decisions! :)

I have decided to go to Brown. I'm so excited...
Is it August yet?

Hi Ortho, I have also made it official with Brown! We will be classmates this fall!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Ortho, I have also made it official with Brown! We will be classmates this fall!

it's nice to see others going to Brown. I need to call the FA Office tomorrow as i'm still a bit nervous about the amount of debt i'll be in after the mph @ Brown. To Ortho and E24Gose: have you decided what to do for housing? i'm not a fan of dorms, so i may look off-campus...maybe in July? Congrats to everyone.

it's nice to see others going to Brown. I need to call the FA Office tomorrow as i'm still a bit nervous about the amount of debt i'll be in after the mph @ Brown. To Ortho and E24Gose: have you decided what to do for housing? i'm not a fan of dorms, so i may look off-campus...maybe in July? Congrats to everyone.

Congrats E24Gose and anthrovagabond!!! So happy to connect with others that will be going to Brown in the Fall, especially since there are so few of us!

I have not yet received any sort of "welcome" packet with housing info. From what I understand, however, most students opt for off-campus housing. I’m going back home to France from May-mid July, so I need to look for an apartment/roommates either before I leave Boston, or the second I return. Do you know if the MPH/grad students live together? Or do they do the ‘random person from Craigslist’ thing? :shrug: I hope that there is a website to facilitate the former…

As for the debt, I’m worried about that too. Even with financial assistance, I will probably need to work part-time to make ends meet. I was told that it is not uncommon for full-time students to work part-time; some even manage to work full-time (wow!). Hopefully, I’ll be able to find a work opportunity in Providence that will allow me to work on my MPH thesis. I have no clue where to begin my search though.

Anyway, I will PM you my e-mail address. Hopefully we can use each other as resources to navigate through the matriculation process. Congrats again on your decision!

Congrats E24Gose and anthrovagabond!!! So happy to connect with others that will be going to Brown in the Fall, especially since there are so few of us!

I have not yet received any sort of "welcome" packet with housing info. From what I understand, however, most students opt for off-campus housing. I’m going back home to France from May-mid July, so I need to look for an apartment/roommates either before I leave Boston, or the second I return. Do you know if the MPH/grad students live together? Or do they do the ‘random person from Craigslist’ thing? :shrug: I hope that there is a website to facilitate the former…

As for the debt, I’m worried about that too. Even with financial assistance, I will probably need to work part-time to make ends meet. I was told that it is not uncommon for full-time students to work part-time; some even manage to work full-time (wow!). Hopefully, I’ll be able to find a work opportunity in Providence that will allow me to work on my MPH thesis. I have no clue where to begin my search though.

Anyway, I will PM you my e-mail address. Hopefully we can use each other as resources to navigate through the matriculation process. Congrats again on your decision!

got your PM and will email you back in an hour or so! i've decided to attend Brown :) woot woot!

I'll be goin to Tulane this fall for International Health and Development through the Master's International program.

Hit me up if you're in either!

@wanthony: I must applaud your rational and level-headed attitude towards such an offer. If it were me, I'd accept it immediately--no question!

I'm going to JHU in the fall -- Population, Family, & Reproductive Health: Adolescent and Child Health, MSPH.

I've never been to Baltimore, but I'm so psyched to be in such a fantastic medical environment and for the many diverse opportunities that the city offers.

Um, stats....

GPA: 3.6 History, 3.1 BCPM (pre-med)
GRE: V 570, Q 660, W 4.5
Experience: summer PH program in China, 2 years volunteering at hospitals, 2 years volunteering at AIDS center, 2 years pharmacy tech, post-Katrina clean up work, 2 years working in China in the disability rights field.

Accepted to: JHU, Columbia, Emory, Tulane, Michigan
Rejected by: UT Houston, Berkeley, Yale

Moral of the story: apply widely and volunteer ;)

@wanthony: I must applaud your rational and level-headed attitude towards such an offer. If it were me, I'd accept it immediately--no question!

Actually, I reacted like this emoticon: :soexcited:

So excited to see people who will be attending Brown as well. Please keep me posted as you get more information about housing, financial aid, etc.

GWU for Global Health Design, Monitoring, and Evaluation. I picked them because they had the most diverse and extensive abroad opportunities of any of the schools I looked at. Can't wait for August!!

George Washington University for Maternal and Child Health. I struggled with the quantitative parts of my app, so I'm really excited that I got in. Emory did waitlist me for Global Health - Reproductive Health, so if I got in there, I might have to rethink things.

Either way I'm super excited for August!

Decision: UCLA MPH in Health Policy & Management, management track

Accepted: NYU Wagner ($16,000 scholarship), Columbia, UTHSC Houston, Johns Hopkins ($12,500 scholarship)

Rejected: Yale, Harvard-SM2

Got offered a Graduate Opportunity Fellowship :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Columbia Sociomedical Sciences - Global Health! So excited to go to the city!

I'm going to Columbia for Epi this fall...I'm also so excited to go to the city. I'm from San Diego so it's going to be a huge change...can't wait!! Congrats :D

Im interested in the Repro Health concentration.. and will be applying next year.. Would you share a bit more about your Vist Emory day experience w/ Repro faculty/students???

thanks!!!:)

If my trip to Visit Emory goes well and nothing super interesting happens with financial aid elsewhere, Emory is going to be my pick. It just feel like the "right" choice. They have been incredibly accommodating to me all around and it's really impressed me. I will be in the GH department on the reproductive health/population studies track.

Rationale: Emory has some of the most comprehensive course listings when it comes to reproductive health & family planning. In addition, their global field experiences are pretty enticing. Plus, Atlanta looks like an interesting change of pace. The one negative is that it looks like I will have to buy a car, but oh well.

Applied: Emory, UPitt, UNC, BU
Accepted: Emory UPitt
Waiting: BU, UNC

Decision made : UT Houston ....MPH

Applied : UNC Chapel hill, U MINN, Harvard, UT Houston,U Alabama, Texas A & M, Drexel,UNT...( MPH health policy and management)

Accepted : UNC Chapel hill, U MINN, UT Houston,U Alabama, Texas A & M, Drexel($15K dean's schol), UNT(instate+$1000 schol)

Rejected : Harvard..

Last edited:
Stats:
GRE - V:620, Q:740, AW:5
GPA - 3.4 (or thereabouts, I have a few different numbers but they're all around there)
BS in Genetics/Biology from top 10 public school
2 years work experience in basic science research

Applied: Columbia, MPH Epi (11/30), Harvard, SM Epi (mailed 01/05), UW, MPH PHG (mailed 01/05), Emory MPH Glepi (mailed 01/12), BU MPH Epi (mailed 01/25), JH MHS Epi (01/24).

Accepted to Tulane, MPH Epi, submitted 01/12, accepted 01/29.
Accepted to Columbia, MPH Epi, submitted 11/30, accepted 02/11
Accepted to Harvard, SM Epi, mailed 01/05, accepted 02/18
Accepted to Emory, MPH Global Epidemiology, mailed 01/12, accepted 02/26
Accepted to BU, MPH Epidemiology, mailed 01/25, accepted 3/12

Rejected from UW, MPH Public Health Genetics (oh well, I have other options)
Rejected from Hopkins, MHS Epidemiology 04/01

I just sent my deposit in to Columbia, and declined all of my other offers. Good luck to those of you on the waitlist! So stoked to have made a decision. :D

Sold on Hopkins! Accepted to the ScM program of Epidemiology. Anyone else committed to the same program? :)

april 15th...any last minute decisions today?

-waystinthyme

I was wondering the same thing.

Ugh, I am having a hard time. I was able to get an extension until Monday because I had to unexpectedly go out of the country for work. Although, I don't know if that was actually to my benefit as I just need to make the decision. I am tempted to start polling people right now in the British Airways lounge in Heathrow :) Since none of them have probably heard of UIC, I'm sure they will say Yale which seems like the no brain answer. However, I was offered full funding for UIC with a stipend so it is really hard to turn down (for anyone attending UIC, this funding wasn't offered directly through UIC). My only concern are my opportunities for internships and a job in global health. Theortically, with no debt and my previous job experience, I can find something if I am ambitious but I'm nervous.

I was wondering the same thing.

Ugh, I am having a hard time. I was able to get an extension until Monday because I had to unexpectedly go out of the country for work. Although, I don't know if that was actually to my benefit as I just need to make the decision. I am tempted to start polling people right now in the British Airways lounge in Heathrow :) Since none of them have probably heard of UIC, I'm sure they will say Yale which seems like the no brain answer. However, I was offered full funding for UIC with a stipend so it is really hard to turn down (for anyone attending UIC, this funding wasn't offered directly through UIC). My only concern are my opportunities for internships and a job in global health. Theortically, with no debt and my previous job experience, I can find something if I am ambitious but I'm nervous.

I'm having an insanely hard time myself. Unfortunately I don't seem to have narrowed it down much further than where I was two weeks ago. Luckily Emory's last date is May 1st, Tulane doesn't really have one, and I've gotten extensions from NYU and GW. I think I'm losing it (lost it already?) ha ha.

I am also still trying to make a decision... and I'm sure I've been driving my friends & family insane with my running commentary on MPH programs. I've managed to get extensions until next Friday, but this decision may very well come down to making one of those paper fortune tellers from grade school.

I submitted my intent to enroll and deposit at Columbia last night! Feels great to have made my decision! I'll be in the Forced Migration and Health track in the Department of Population and Family Health.

Good luck to all those still deciding!!

Hi guys,

I'm having a hard time deciding between the MPH at UCLA and MPH at Boston University. I got into the community health sciences at ucla and the social and behavioral sciences concentration at BU. I found the staff and school very friendly and accessible at BU but I am also scared to turn down ucla because well of course ucla is ucla. Do you guys think it would matter after graduation where I graduated from? and is it better if i choose ucla over BU? please help!!

thank you!!

Hi guys,

I'm having a hard time deciding between the MPH at UCLA and MPH at Boston University. I got into the community health sciences at ucla and the social and behavioral sciences concentration at BU. I found the staff and school very friendly and accessible at BU but I am also scared to turn down ucla because well of course ucla is ucla. Do you guys think it would matter after graduation where I graduated from? and is it better if i choose ucla over BU? please help!!

thank you!!

I think the name or 'brand' matters only up to a point, although I do think it helps to open doors to start with. At the end of the day though, as far as a career is concerned, I think it comes down a lot more to opportunities you get during your student years to understand the specific work environment better - in doing so being able to prove to yourself and to employers what you are capable of; the people you meet and network with in terms of the opportunities that potentially open up as a result of that and not to sound cheesy, but the amount of initiative one is willing to take in getting out there.

You have two great options to chose from. Best of luck :)

I told BU yesterday I was coming, but am still finding it difficult to tell Columbia no. I don't really want to go there, but it's still hard to turn them down because in a way I wish I wanted to go there. So here I sit with the form open on my screen, unable to click "submit."

I feel pretty good that BU is the right choice for me, but it's just in my nature to agonize over big decisions. In any case, I only have 9 more hours to think about it and then it's all over!

Boston will be a nice change of pace...all you folks getting geared up to come to nyc, enjoy! I love it here, but after 5 years a change of scenery will do me good. :)

I told BU yesterday I was coming, but am still finding it difficult to tell Columbia no. I don't really want to go there, but it's still hard to turn them down because in a way I wish I wanted to go there. So here I sit with the form open on my screen, unable to click "submit."

I feel pretty good that BU is the right choice for me, but it's just in my nature to agonize over big decisions. In any case, I only have 9 more hours to think about it and then it's all over!

Boston will be a nice change of pace...all you folks getting geared up to come to nyc, enjoy! I love it here, but after 5 years a change of scenery will do me good. :)

Congrats on choosing BU. I'll be at BU as well. Maybe I'll see you around next fall! =)

Tee7! I thought you were heading to Brown with us?! Congrats on BU! Im bummed we wont see you in Providence though!

Tee7! I thought you were heading to Brown with us?! Congrats on BU! Im bummed we wont see you in Providence though!

E24Gose - It was an extremely hard decision. Brown has an extremely great program, but I believe BU will provide me with what I'm looking for! =(
Have a great time at Brown!!! If I do decide to change my mind by the end of the month, I will let you guys know - got my deadline extended to the end of the month.

UIC it is. I just couldn't manage the thought of all of that debt!

SDSU on my end. Also couldn't manage the thought of $50K+ in debt after 2 yrs. Anyone else considering SDSU? Also just declined admission to drexel and ohio state. Hopefully this will mean good news someone :D

Last edited:
Berkeley. So excited!!!

I ultimately was struggling with a tough decision between Columbia, UNC, and Berkeley, but I really fell in love with Berkeley at the visit day, they match my research/practice interets pretty ridiculously perfectly, I love the bay area, and between just barely qualifying for in-state tuition, a fellowship, and hopefully a GSR position it shouldn't be too painful financially. Plus, I'm pretty sure I want to stick around there for a PhD and possibly JD (or at least take advantage of all the awesome human rights law related opportunities there and the integration they have with public health and the human rights center) and the bay area has great opportunities for my S/O as well (plus we both want to stay/end up on the west coast, ultimately, after our exodus from the midwest/south).

Anybody else out there who has decided on Berkeley?

Berkeley. So excited!!!

I ultimately was struggling with a tough decision between Columbia, UNC, and Berkeley, but I really fell in love with Berkeley at the visit day, they match my research/practice interets pretty ridiculously perfectly, I love the bay area, and between just barely qualifying for in-state tuition, a fellowship, and hopefully a GSR position it shouldn't be too painful financially. Plus, I'm pretty sure I want to stick around there for a PhD and possibly JD (or at least take advantage of all the awesome human rights law related opportunities there and the integration they have with public health and the human rights center) and the bay area has great opportunities for my S/O as well (plus we both want to stay/end up on the west coast, ultimately, after our exodus from the midwest/south).

Anybody else out there who has decided on Berkeley?

I have! I had a hard time deciding between Yale and Berkeley, but like you, I wound up choosing the latter because the program (EHS) is more suited to my interests.

Do you know if we will start getting connected with other Berkeley folks through Facebook or otherwise? I need to start looking for a roommate/place--I live in Georgia, so the process is probably gonna be a bit more difficult!

UNC HBHE for me. Was choosing between UNC and Columbia, but when it came down to it, there was really no competition, funding- or fit-wise.

I have! I had a hard time deciding between Yale and Berkeley, but like you, I wound up choosing the latter because the program (EHS) is more suited to my interests.

Do you know if we will start getting connected with other Berkeley folks through Facebook or otherwise? I need to start looking for a roommate/place--I live in Georgia, so the process is probably gonna be a bit more difficult!

Good question! I think I'll start a thread on here and if that takes off maybe make a FB page. Looks like there are a few facebook groups floating around but none that are particularly current or active that I've found. I've been looking on Craigslist, and there seem to be a lot of places popping up on there every day, but I live close enough that I can take a weekend and drive down to check places out and see if they are anything remotely like the pics/descriptions. It's fairly expensive, but looks do-able with a roommate. That said, if there's anything you want me to check out on your behalf when I go look at places (some time within the next month), let me know and I can take some pics and PM them to you.

Good question! I think I'll start a thread on here and if that takes off maybe make a FB page. Looks like there are a few facebook groups floating around but none that are particularly current or active that I've found. I've been looking on Craigslist, and there seem to be a lot of places popping up on there every day, but I live close enough that I can take a weekend and drive down to check places out and see if they are anything remotely like the pics/descriptions. It's fairly expensive, but looks do-able with a roommate. That said, if there's anything you want me to check out on your behalf when I go look at places (some time within the next month), let me know and I can take some pics and PM them to you.

Thanks for replying! I found this website yesterday:

http://www.housing.berkeley.edu/

There is a link for graduate housing on that site. Are you thinking about doing that, or finding a place off campus? I'm not quite sure on my end, although I would like a roommate who is doing public health as well, and going through graduate housing might make it easier to do that.

Would you mind giving me a list of places you check out? That way I can know where to start looking, since I currently have no idea, haha. Btw, I am going to PM you:)

Hey symphonyinc11 & azure8011! I'll be heading to Cal in the Fall as well and I couldn't be more thrilled since this was always my dream grad school! :soexcited:Like both of you I got into more highly ranked programs (Johns Hopkins MSPH and Harvard SM), but I couldn't beat the combination of a smaller school of public health with a strong social justice mission, brilliant yet laid back and approachable faculty, a fellowship with in-state tuition, and living in the SF Bay Area. My biggest headache right now is finding housing since I'll be relocating from So Cal. From what I've gathered the majority of grad students live in Berkeley city with some choosing to venture out to adjacent communities such as Albany, El Cerrito, and Rockridge/North Oakland area. It appears that south of campus is more densley populated especially with undergrads while the north-west side of campus near the "gourmet ghetto" tends to have more grad students because it's cleaner and quieter but that also means more expensive. I really need to find a roommate though because I don't see how I can make this affordable otherwise...it appears that most people use Craigslist but I've never tried it and think it's a bit too sketchy for me. Do y'all know if we'll get a contact list from the School of Public Health or our department with this year's cohort so we can start contacting potential roommates? I think symphonyinc11 that starting a Facebook page is a great idea since I couldn't find anything useful either...

Last edited:
For me, it came down to Hopkins and UNC, and in the end I opted for UNC... because it was a better fit, because of its top-notch domestic policy program, and because it's more than $20,000 cheaper than Hopkins... even for out of state residents. Congrats to everyone! :claps:

And, of course ... go Tarheels!!
tarheel.gif