Decision Made - Thanks!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tikihut

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If interested in academia I would say go northwestern for name recognition / connections, but the cost difference is huge, not to mention the support group you would have in Miami. Are you ready to take out an extra 200k+ in debt for a T20 vs a T50?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So you guys think that the extra debt is worth it? I’m surprised at the responses because it’d be more than 200k difference which is a lot :/

I think you should really, really hope for merit aid (or need-based aid? or not) from Feinberg to make that decision easier for you. If they do not give you merit aid, maybe you can tell them about Miller's offer and see if they'll counter-offer. I don't know if Feinberg does this, and maybe it would be beneficial to tell Northwestern even before they send out merit aid offers to other people? I'm not sure.

I do think the choice to go to Northwestern is the best one for a career in academia (esp in derm) but I honestly have no idea and you might be better off taking the money, working really hard at Miller, and matching into a competitive program. Have you looked at match lists from Miller? Where are they matching for those specialties you're interested in?

Also, something to think about - do you want a new phase of your life to begin in medical school? I think that there is something exciting about moving across the country to a new city and meeting new people for medical school. While having a support system is great, I think there is something special about leaving behind a support system and learning how to create your own. You'll likely have to/get to do it at some point in your career, and I think having it happen when you go to med school is a good place for it to happen.

Miami matched 12 into derm this year... they're a strong program and can help you achieve your goals with the support of your family nearby and a huge cost differential. While it's a hard choice, I don't think you can go wrong with either, and Miami has everything you need to succeed. Also, the curriculum at Miami is changing to 1 year or 1.5 years preclinical which is a HUGE advantage compared to the 2 year traditional preclinical curriculum at Feinberg. You'll have a lot more time to "individualize" your education. I'm in the minority with my opinion clearly but I'd choose Miami

Reactions: 10 users
I think you should really, really hope for merit aid (or need-based aid? or not) from Feinberg to make that decision easier for you. If they do not give you merit aid, maybe you can tell them about Miller's offer and see if they'll counter-offer. I don't know if Feinberg does this, and maybe it would be beneficial to tell Northwestern even before they send out merit aid offers to other people? I'm not sure.

I do think the choice to go to Northwestern is the best one for a career in academia (esp in derm) but I honestly have no idea and you might be better off taking the money, working really hard at Miller, and matching into a competitive program. Have you looked at match lists from Miller? Where are they matching for those specialties you're interested in?

Also, something to think about - do you want a new phase of your life to begin in medical school? I think that there is something exciting about moving across the country to a new city and meeting new people for medical school. While having a support system is great, I think there is something special about leaving behind a support system and learning how to create your own. You'll likely have to/get to do it at some point in your career, and I think having it happen when you go to med school is a good place for it to happen.
Thanks so much for your input. I am really hoping Feinberg comes through with merit aid next week. I think I’m going to wait until they send out the packages before telling them about Miller’s offer. Also, definitely agree with the exciting opportunity to start medical school in a new city! I did go out of state for undergrad though, so I haven’t been in Miami since recently bc I’m now on my gap year. Also my SO lives in Miami which is also another factor. Definitely would love to be in Chicago though and Feinberg seemed like such a great fit.

Miami matched 12 into derm this year... they're a strong program and can help you achieve your goals with the support of your family nearby and a huge cost differential. While it's a hard choice, I don't think you can go wrong with either, and Miami has everything you need to succeed. Also, the curriculum at Miami is changing to 1 year or 1.5 years preclinical which is a HUGE advantage compared to the 2 year traditional preclinical curriculum at Feinberg. You'll have a lot more time to "individualize" your education. I'm in the minority with my opinion clearly but I'd choose Miami
Yes! Their match list was really strong. My main concern is that the classes above me have numerical scores for Step 1, but I’ll probably have it P/f. People keep saying prestige / connections / research will now play a bigger role - which is my concern. Would you still choose Miami over Feinberg despite Step 1 being P/F?

Yes! Their match list was really strong. My main concern is that the classes above me have numerical scores for Step 1, but I’ll probably have it P/f. People keep saying prestige / connections / research will now play a bigger role - which is my concern. Would you still choose Miami over Feinberg despite Step 1 being P/F?
Yep - you'll be able to take step 2 earlier since Miami finishes preclinical stuff and clerkships sooner which then gives you more time for research, away rotations, etc. Miami has a strong reputation and that won't fade overnight.

Reactions: 2 users
The cheapest option is the best option. Your specialty choice will not be limited by going to Miami. Plus you already have a good support system there and Chicago winters are no joke. I would choose Miami.

Reactions: 4 users
I don't see going to Miami holding you back from going where you want for residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know several people whom feinberg didn’t offer anything despite other $$. they may still give you nothing and I’ve noticed they’re not as generous as SDN makes them out to be (okay end rant)

based on your replies to this thread, it seems like you’re leaning Miami - and while they wont give you the same experience as northwestern, you will be fine if you save the money and choose them.
I’m leaning Miami just because it’s so much cheaper. And that sucks to hear that they’re not as generous :/ I guess I’ll wait it out to see if I get financial aid from them. If not, I’ll send them Miami’s offer. If they still give me nothing - I guess I’ll have to give up on Feinberg after that... :(

Reactions: 3 users
I’m not exactly in the same situation since Feinberg WLed me but these two were my top choices this cycle.

I fell in love with Feinberg and sent them a LOI of after they waitlisted me, but after the scholarships Miami offered me I think it’d be a hard choice taking out more debt in the hypothetical that I’m taken off Feinbergs WL

Try to get Feinberg to match; if they do, Northwestern.

If no scholarship offers, stay in Miami. My entire support system is here as well and the NextGen curriculum offers dedicated research time which esp helps me since I want to go into derm.

Miami has a lit derm match year to year so don’t worry over that.

Msg me if you have talk about it more / have any questions

Reactions: 8 users
Where are you planning to settle after medical school/residency? If you plan to settle in FL, going to Miami will be advantageous. Also, how many merit scholarships does Miami offer?

Where are you planning to settle after medical school/residency? If you plan to settle in FL, going to Miami will be advantageous. Also, how many merit scholarships does Miami offer?
Probably in South Florida after residency but I have an open mind! And I have no idea how many merit aid offers Miami gives. I’ve seen a handful of people get offers on SDN but not sure the total.

It's the difference in paying 3.5k/month vs. 1k/month in student loan repayment...

Being an non trad physician with a family, it's would be a easy choice for me. We are not talking about Feinberg vs. East Carolina University or Mercer here. We are talking about a top 20 vs. a top 50.

Not familiar with Feinberg, but I am familiar with UM and I think it's a great school that will set you up to be successful in anything if you put in the work.

I would email Feinberg and tell them about your COA at Miami ASAP. Do not wait for them to give you a merit scholarship/financial aid letter.

I would email Feinberg and tell them about your COA at Miami ASAP. Do not wait for them to give you a merit scholarship/financial aid letter.
Oh really? Why do you think so? A few people have told me to wait it out since it comes out fairly soon. But I will send an e-mail first thing tomorrow if it’d give me a better shot at getting an offer.

Sent the e-mail this morning! Fingers crossed everyone, will keep you updated! Thanks for all the advice

• Love
If Northwestern doesn't match, I say UMiami. Just my opinion, but I don't think Northwestern is a big enough name like Stanford/Harvard where you can just show up and match into Derm. You will have to put in lots of work at both Miami and Northwestern to match....why not do it where it's cheaper and slightly warmer? Also, the NextGenMD curriculum looks pretty cool.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
In that case, Feinberg should be the choice since you want to go into academia...

I think not knowing anyone in Chicago at all could be a big factor. Living in downtown Chicago can be tough if you are not used to it. If you got a scholarship at Northwestern, you could try to see if Miami could give you even more. Living for four years far from home is a big commitment, so personally I think Miami is a good enough school that it is worth it!

I think not knowing anyone in Chicago at all could be a big factor. Living in downtown Chicago can be tough if you are not used to it. If you got a scholarship at Northwestern, you could try to see if Miami could give you even more. Living for four years far from home is a big commitment, so personally I think Miami is a good enough school that it is worth it!
Thanks for the insight! Do you / have you lived in Chicago? If so, can you PM me and tell me a little more about Chicago and why you think living in downtown can be tough? The only time I’ve been was for my interview and I wasn’t able to really check out the city (although it looked really nice)

Thanks for the insight! Do you / have you lived in Chicago? If so, can you PM me and tell me a little more about Chicago and why you think living in downtown can be tough? The only time I’ve been was for my interview and I wasn’t able to really check out the city (although it looked really nice)
I know a lot of people who move there after graduation and have visited many times. Just like many other big cities, it's hard to get out of there if you live downtown and finding an apartment of a considerable size can be tough without help.

Hi everyone! I added a poll to the post. Please vote!

So after calculations with scholarships, UMiami would be roughly 27k/year (would be living at home, so no housing costs). Northwestern would be 32k/year + housing costs (around 17k/year, but may be able to get help from family with rent).

As a recap, UMiami is still cheaper + family lives in area, while NW is a stronger program but a bit more expensive / don't know anyone in area. Let me know what you think in the poll if you were in my shoes! Thank you in advance

Hi everyone! I added a poll to the post. Please vote!

So after calculations with scholarships, UMiami would be roughly 27k/year (would be living at home, so no housing costs). Northwestern would be 32k/year + housing costs (around 17k/year, but may be able to get help from family with rent).

As a recap, UMiami is still cheaper + family lives in area, while NW is a stronger program but a bit more expensive / don't know anyone in area. Let me know what you think in the poll if you were in my shoes! Thank you in advance

If its overall 108k vs 196k pre-interest I‘d personally stick with Miami.

If its overall 108k vs 196k pre-interest I‘d personally stick with Miami.
That's what has me so torn... I'm really happy I got a scholarship at Feinberg but Miami remains cheaper overall. Thank you for the input, a lot of people have been telling me to go w/ the cheaper option too. But it's been tough to let go of the thought of being at Feinberg

Only you know the importance of having family close (or even living with them) so I won't address that. Concern with more debt was real for me, but still picked Feinberg over a couple of cheaper (and even higher ranked) choices. QOL was extremely important and the support of Feinberg fellow students and faculty is amazing..... and so is Chicago! (especially Streeterville). Back to Step 1.......

Only you know the importance of having family close (or even living with them) so I won't address that. Concern with more debt was real for me, but still picked Feinberg over a couple of cheaper (and even higher ranked) choices. QOL was extremely important and the support of Feinberg fellow students and faculty is amazing..... and so is Chicago! (especially Streeterville). Back to Step 1.......
Yep :/ family is important to me & I don't want to be in so much debt so it makes sense for me to choose Miami, but I really love Feinberg (even felt the supportive/community vibe at the virtual second look which is hard to accomplish via Zoom) and I think living in Chicago would be exciting. Did you have a support system in Chicago/midwest area prior to matriculation?

Last edited:
Not a soul! But I already did undergrad across the country from the fam, so it wasn't a big leap - plus there was some good bonding during second look (sorry you guys couldn't have that). One of my other acceptances was actually less than an hour from my home, but didn't really want to move back (I really love them but...). Feinberg does provide a lot of counseling etc. about how to handle finances both during and after med school, but I am not about to tell you how to feel about taking on more debt (although it looks like you're getting more from Feinberg than I did). I can tell you that your estimate for housing costs near campus is pretty accurate, although it drops a bit if you move a little farther out on the Red Line like a lot of folks do after 2nd year. I really need to take another SDN hiatus, so I hope that helped. I haven't looked at this year's FB group, but a couple of years ago it was a great source of "inside info" from current and incoming students. You have a couple of great options. Congratulations!

Not a soul! But I already did undergrad across the country from the fam, so it wasn't a big leap - plus there was some good bonding during second look (sorry you guys couldn't have that). One of my other acceptances was actually less than an hour from my home, but didn't really want to move back (I really love them but...). Feinberg does provide a lot of counseling etc. about how to handle finances both during and after med school, but I am not about to tell you how to feel about taking on more debt (although it looks like you're getting more from Feinberg than I did). I can tell you that your estimate for housing costs near campus is pretty accurate, although it drops a bit if you move a little farther out on the Red Line like a lot of folks do after 2nd year. I really need to take another SDN hiatus, so I hope that helped. I haven't looked at this year's FB group, but a couple of years ago it was a great source of "inside info" from current and incoming students. You have a couple of great options. Congratulations!
Thank you! This was helpful!!

Let me know if anyone has been torn trying to make a similar decision or if current students at either school can weigh in (or vote in the poll). I'm still clearly very indecisive about this lol but leaning a bit toward NW

Let me know if anyone has been torn trying to make a similar decision or if current students at either school can weigh in (or vote in the poll). I'm still clearly very indecisive about this lol but leaning a bit toward NW
I would immediately contact both schools indicating competing merit aid and ask if they could improve their offer. You only have 23 days for final decision. At least then you would know about final numbers.

Should nothing change, despite Feinberg having much higher PD ranking, I think being near your family and SO while saving the 100k is smart. However, if you want to try a big city and can tolerate winter, deal with long distance relationship, 100k is not too bad difference unless going into primary medicine specialty which are lowest compensated. Chicago is fantastic and Feinberg is central to it all. You need not live in fantastic Streeterville, as Feinberg is a bus ride away from many different ‘neighborhoods.’

PD ranking

I would immediately contact both schools indicating competing merit aid and ask if they could improve their offer. You only have 23 days for final decision. At least then you would know about final numbers.

Should nothing change, despite Feinberg having much higher PD ranking, I think being near your family and SO while saving the 100k is smart. However, if you want to try a big city and can tolerate winter, deal with long distance relationship, 100k is not too bad difference unless going into primary medicine specialty which are lowest compensated. Chicago is fantastic and Feinberg is central to it all. You need not live in fantastic Streeterville, as Feinberg is a bus ride away from many different ‘neighborhoods.’

PD ranking
I contacted Feinberg prior to their financial aid release about Miami's offer. That's why I don't think I should reach out again because they already knew of my situation before giving the merit award. Idk what else I'd add in the e-mail other than it being a reminder of what's going on. I also don't wanna come off as ungrateful for what they gave me, but I don't know much about the social norms about asking for more $ so who knows - I might be wrong.

And thank you!! Those are all great points! I guess I just have to think about it a little more...

I honestly don’t believe it can hurt to ask for more. I’d email both programs and indicate you are having a tough decision between their program and one other, and financial COA is playing a large part. Indicate you appreciate their current offer but was hoping they would consider an increase to make the decision easier. You look forward to their response in time for the April 30 PTE date.

I honestly don’t believe it can hurt to ask for more. I’d email both programs and indicate you are having a tough decision between their program and one other, and financial COA is playing a large part. Indicate you appreciate their current offer but was hoping they would consider an increase to make the decision easier. You look forward to their response in time for the April 30 PTE date.
Gotcha. I’ll give it a shot!

Bumping this just to see if anyone else has any factors that I haven't thought about!

Northwestern with that new financial aid package they gave you! More prestigious, more interesting area, more opportunities, yes it's away from family but that could be a good thing here. I always see a red flag when people say "Oh I'll live with family during med school to cut down costs". Unless you're a nontrad (and even still), these years are your youth - I would rather take debt than to live with my family (even if they were a loving family). Imagine trying to take home a date, future partner, studying for school, etc. all while having your family breathing down your neck - no thank you! :)

What is the new difference in cost?
Tuition-wise Feinberg is ~5k more per year, though I’m still trying to negotiate w them for additional aid. If I were to go to Miami, I’d be living w parents so no housing costs while I’d have to pay for housing at NW ($17,000/year more or less, though I may get some help with rent from family)

Bc of the prestige/better opportunities? And yeah I'm definitely leaning toward Feinberg!
Based on the pros/cons you provided and that the cost difference is rather small. I personally wouldn't want to live at home for medical school, too.