Deciding whether to reapply this cycle, RE: NAAHP Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RooflessMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Overall Undergrad GPA: 3.27
Final year Undergrad GPA: 3.79
Masters Neurobiology GPA: 3.97
MCAT: 515

I have a strong research and publication track record, but academic blunders early in undergraduate and less volunteering experience than the average applicant. I don't have "hands on" clinical experience, however I worked in a special education classroom for young adults with psychiatric disorders for one year. I also work now to recruit Parkinson's disease patients for various clinical trials, so that job gives me the opportunity to work directly with doctors and patients.

I was assigned to an NAAHP counselor and he seems to have an extremely rigid, "lets check all the boxes" perspective. He has not been encouraging at all and after repetitive conversations, his advice is: become an EMT or a CNA and do that for a year, or else don't apply to medical school again.

:dead: Is it really necessary to do that? I feel like despite my imperfections, I am a great candidate and could be a great doctor someday. Going through additional training to become an EMT or CNA feels like a setback of several months which could potentially put me in financial distress, and to me it doesn't seem necessary at all. Isn't the clinical research stuff I'm doing good enough to prove that I'm worthy to become a doctor? So what if I'm not setting up IV or inserting catheters? Besides, I do all kinds of techniques on rodents in the lab...

What do you guys think? This whole getting in to med school process is wearing on me.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, but is it necessary to become an EMT or CNA? It seems superfluous to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's other ways to get the hands on clinical experience you are lacking. Doesn't have to be as an EMT or CNA.

Showing this is important because being a physician is about the patients

This whole getting in to med school process is wearing on me.
This statement is also troubling. It's not going to get easier after you're accepted. Fix the deficits in your application. Your counselor suggested two ways. Find something that works for you

Overall Undergrad GPA: 3.27
Final year Undergrad GPA: 3.79
Masters Neurobiology GPA: 3.97
MCAT: 515

I have a strong research and publication track record, but academic blunders early in undergraduate and less volunteering experience than the average applicant. I don't have "hands on" clinical experience, however I worked in a special education classroom for young adults with psychiatric disorders for one year. I also work now to recruit Parkinson's disease patients for various clinical trials, so that job gives me the opportunity to work directly with doctors and patients.

I was assigned to an NAAHP counselor and he seems to have an extremely rigid, "lets check all the boxes" perspective. He has not been encouraging at all and after repetitive conversations, his advice is: become an EMT or a CNA and do that for a year, or else don't apply to medical school again.

:dead: Is it really necessary to do that? I feel like despite my imperfections, I am a great candidate and could be a great doctor someday. Going through additional training to become an EMT or CNA feels like a setback of several months which could potentially put me in financial distress, and to me it doesn't seem necessary at all. Isn't the clinical research stuff I'm doing good enough to prove that I'm worthy to become a doctor? So what if I'm not setting up IV or inserting catheters? Besides, I do all kinds of techniques on rodents in the lab...

What do you guys think? This whole getting in to med school process is wearing on me.
Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, nursing homes, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics.

Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all, but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless, the dying, or Alzheimers or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.

Reactions: 1 users
Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, nursing homes, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics.

Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all, but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless, the dying, or Alzheimers or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.
Thanks, I think I’ll start volunteering in hospice ASAP, since there are a lot of opportunities in my area.