Program-Specific Info / Q's Deciding between UNE and USM. Any advice appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Swimras01

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm thrilled to have gotten into both University of New England and University of Southern Maine, and am currently trying to decide between the two. I'd love to hear from current students and current applicants why they chose each program!

UNE students:
What is your course schedule like? Are you in school 9-5? Or are classes mostly in the morning or afternoon? I have twin 4 year olds. Do you think the full-time course-load would be manageable with kiddos at home?

USM students:
Because I am moving to ME from out of state, I'd be paying like $90,000 to go to USM. Is it worth that much money to have the option to go part time??

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am trying to decide between the two as well. However, I will be receiving in-state tuition. I wasn't expecting to like USM so much, and I'm leaning toward their program. I interviewed for UNE first, and I was impressed by the campus involvement and fieldwork opportunities. The students at both universities were friendly, and while the same could be said about the faculty, I think the USM faculty was more personable. I had the chance to meet more faculty members at USM even though the "interview" schedule was much shorter than UNE's. Both have community clinics, which was something I liked. Taking children into consideration, even not going part-time, I think it's a huge bonus to only have classes 3-4 times a week. Lewiston area is more affordable than Portland, which might also be a consideration for you. If you attend UNE, you will graduate sooner and be able to start working and pay off loans sooner. It is a tough call-I think they are both great programs.