Deciding between med schools: UF vs UM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh. I've heard your board scores are high too. I wonder if that is due to the PBL based curricula. I've been told that supposedly helps with boards.

It has more to do with the motivation and study habits of the individual students than anything else. Board scores is generally accepted here as not one of the factors you choose a medical school on.

Members don't see this ad.

It has more to do with the motivation and study habits of the individual students than anything else. Board scores is generally accepted here as not one of the factors you choose a medical school on.

Oh ok. I was just wondering. I still like your campus better despite their higher board scores.

please tell me you picked UM! I'm not gonna be enjoying this next week =/

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm kinda surprised at the notion that UM is not a research institution...seriously? UF is only ranked two spots higher on the US News and World Report Ranking for research (not that that even matters...but just fyi)...the research being done at Miami is AMAZING. WORLD-CLASS. Don't beleive me? go to the diabetes research institute and lois pope center and you'll see. The atmosphere at Jackson is most definitely equally research based and clinically based (and that is SAYING a lot considering the sheer size on the hospital)

As far as UF, i can understand your tough decision because one year ago I was in the same exact boat choosing between the two. After almost completing a year of med school at Miami, you realize just how important OTHER considerations that are to make outside of academics too. GAINESVILLE is depressing to be in after college. Just ask most of their med students--sadly, many many of them are depressed and just hating the atmosphere at UFCOM. Yea med school is rough wherever you go, so at least do yourself a favor and choose the least painful place to live in.

UM gives you the opportunity to pursue ANY speciality you want, u just have to go for it. check out our match list and you'll see the variety of specialities and amazing places our students are going.

I'm kinda surprised at the notion that UM is not a research institution...seriously? UF is only ranked two spots higher on the US News and World Report Ranking for research (not that that even matters...but just fyi)...the research being done at Miami is AMAZING. WORLD-CLASS. Don't beleive me? go to the diabetes research institute and lois pope center and you'll see. The atmosphere at Jackson is most definitely equally research based and clinically based (and that is SAYING a lot considering the sheer size on the hospital)

As far as UF, i can understand your tough decision because one year ago I was in the same exact boat choosing between the two. After almost completing a year of med school at Miami, you realize just how important OTHER considerations that are to make outside of academics too. GAINESVILLE is depressing to be in after college. Just ask most of their med students--sadly, many many of them are depressed and just hating the atmosphere at UFCOM. Yea med school is rough wherever you go, so at least do yourself a favor and choose the least painful place to live in.

UM gives you the opportunity to pursue ANY speciality you want, u just have to go for it. check out our match list and you'll see the variety of specialities and amazing places our students are going.

You are confusing 2 points. Umiami is a research institution but UMiami Boca campus does not have a 5 min. ride to the research centers. It is its own campus quite far away from all things research and the main campus. very little time is spent on the main campus where the happenin things are going on. So yah while they have PBL and some say they have better board scores I don't know that I'd want to go there because its not where the core of what makes Miami a powerhouse is and the clinicals are just not the same as what you get at JMH at the main campus.

Status
Not open for further replies.