Debt-free School vs Applying Elsewhere

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icestreak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will graduate college debt-free. I have the opportunity to attend University of Louisville medical school basically debt-free, with a partial scholarship and some money saved up. I am allowed to apply elsewhere and still hold onto this seat. I like the school okay, and the only problems I have with it are that 1) both the school and patient population aren't very diverse, which is pretty important to me and 2) I'd like to do research/get into a competitive specialty. I don't think I'll be miserable there but I just don't really like the city/lifestyle.

I estimate that if I were to go to any other medical school, I will be in debt about $200-300k. I wanted to get some perspective on how much debt should play a factor in whether I should even apply elsewhere. My stats are average and my ECs are above average, so if I were to go to any other medical school, it won't be like Harvard or anything, it'd be more around the mid-high tier line. Should I even be looking to apply elsewhere?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Debt free. Go somewhere diverse for residency

And a bird in the hand...

Reactions: 1 user
Debt free, not even a question. Also, it's not like UofL isn't an academic center, you can do research there, do well on step, and go from there.

If you can apply out and still keep the money, then maybe apply to some top places and hope for some cool scholarship, but at the end of the day few things in life are worth an extra 200-300k.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am allowed to apply elsewhere and still hold onto this seat

Definitely, if you have the time and money to apply. Many great schools offer tons of scholarships (UChicago, Vanderbilt, Penn, WashU, etc.) and financial aid (Harvard, Yale, etc.). If you would lose your seat by applying elsewhere, I would say 100% keep your offer. If you can still hold onto the seat, it might be worth a few thousand dollars so that you have no regrets.

If you have great numbers, apply to schools that offer merit scholarships (Vanderbilt, UChicago, NYU, and Johns Hopkins come to mind). If your family is middle to low-income, then apply to schools with strong need-based financial aid.