Debating taking a gap year and need help w/ school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mangonade

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm currently going into my junior year, and I am debating whether to take a gap year. This is my current GPA and I don't think it will not go lower than an 3.85. With these stats in mind, would you say taking a gap year and getting more dental experience be beneficial? Am I competitive for the schools listed, and any other recommendations for me? I see all these people w/ 25+

Another reason why I low-key want to take a gap year is to take a breather but at the same time, I'm afraid of falling out of the academic focused mentality :(

Overall GPA: 3.88
Science GPA:
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA
23 TS 23 | OC 23 GC 27 Bio 21 | RC 24 QR 21 PAT 21
State of Residence: Maryland

Undergrad Attended: Georgetown University
Major: Healthcare Management & Policy
Minority? Sorta? FGLI but Asian

Shadowing Experience: 70 hours (General Shadowing + assist), 20 hours (ortho) --> I plan on continuing w/ dental assisting
Volunteering Experience: 120 hours (org @ school teaching CPR training)
Employment: 200+ hours work study jobs on campus
Research: 70 hours - Gastrointestinal Probiotic usage (no paper, decided to quit lol)
Other Extracurriculars: Club Badminton,
LOR type and strength: Potential publication on Health literacy interventions (Need Assessment)

School list:

University of MD
UPenn
UCLA
UCSF
UPitt

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't take a gap year unless you can prove to the admissions that the year was beneficial for you in helping build your resume for dental school. With your GPA and DAT, you're a strong candidate and have a good chance of admittance. I would stay away from UCLA, from what I've heard on this forum they're crazy expensive and tough to get into if OOS. I would try to apply to more state schools in the area. UBuffalo would be a good option. I would also include some safety schools, you have a shot at the ones you have selected but they're still fairly competitive even with your stats.

Hi all! I'm currently going into my junior year, and I am debating whether to take a gap year. This is my current GPA and I don't think it will not go lower than an 3.85. With these stats in mind, would you say taking a gap year and getting more dental experience be beneficial? Am I competitive for the schools listed, and any other recommendations for me? I see all these people w/ 25+

Another reason why I low-key want to take a gap year is to take a breather but at the same time, I'm afraid of falling out of the academic focused mentality :(

Overall GPA: 3.88
Science GPA: 3.88
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA 23 TS 23 | OC 23 GC 27 Bio 21 | RC 24 QR 21 PAT 21
State of Residence: Maryland

Undergrad Attended: Georgetown University
Major: Healthcare Management & Policy
Minority? Sorta? FGLI but Asian

Shadowing Experience: 70 hours (General Shadowing + assist), 20 hours (ortho) --> I plan on continuing w/ dental assisting
Volunteering Experience: 120 hours (org @ school teaching CPR training)
Employment: 200+ hours work study jobs on campus
Research: 70 hours - Gastrointestinal Probiotic usage (no paper, decided to quit lol)
Other Extracurriculars: Club Badminton,
LOR type and strength: Potential publication on Health literacy interventions (Need Assessment)

School list:
University of MD
UPenn
UCLA
UCSF
UPitt
you have 3 of the 10-12 hardest schools to get into on your list
if you don't realize this, plus you don't know what your chances are with a 3.8+ and 23s, i don't know what i can do to help you...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user