Dear Surgery Residents: go %&$# yourselves. Sincerely, MS3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well we all know that you don't have to be "old" in years to be "old school". We had a few residents who came from different training programs which were much more hierarchical than our residency program and would try and pull the same stunts or claim, "that's intern work" (when they were PGY2s).

I fail to understand forcing students to be there (against their desires) and not teaching them *something*. I can only feel that it is simply for you to bask in their awesomeness. ;)

You might be interested in this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=969487

True - you learn from example, and having bad examples can perpetuate bad behavior. I think making it more widespread, changing the culture from the roots, etc will do more to help in the long run, and certainly with some of what I've heard from you folks, it seems to exist. Also, that guy's awesomeness was more in his own mind, frankly :p

That particular thread makes an interesting point - personally I think it has less to do with the "surgical personality" (I'm applying for IM and I actually am very active on my feet, try to keep busy, etc) and more to do with whether on a basic level you enjoy operating and being in the OR for long periods of time, often doing what may seem monotonous (lysing adhesions, suturing layer upon layer upon layer, etc) but for some folks, it's awesome. I think the basic gestalt in that thread is on the right track - it's pointless to try and convince a pediatrician to do surgery or an IM doc to do ENT or whatever because it requires a different mindset and a different set of (necessary) skills.

Hey! :mad: (j/k I get it...although a straight up Whipple or APR shouldn't take *that* long)

Haha, well the Whipple I saw was a resident's first one where he and the attending were quite meticulous and it ended up taking 5 hours - I liked seeing the anatomy but I was definitely feeling the hypoglycemia and the boredom after a bit. The APRs I just couldn't make heads or tails of and just ended up feeling really bad for the poor lady with colon cancer :( Mind, I loved medical oncology, but gyn onc and surg onc just left me queasy. Now, Breast surg - that was a pretty awesome field.

That's really a shame. A good general surgery program should build on medical management skills of its residents for basic acute and chronic medical conditions.

Agreed. I'll give that I don't expect them to work up every hematologic abnormality, but even things for me like a superimposed iron deficiency anemia, poorly controlled diabetes which was just continuously mismanaged, etc kinda irritated me. I did have one old school surgeon who actually refused to consult medicine unless it was VERY serious - I had a lot of respect for him.

Members don't see this ad.

....and more to do with whether on a basic level you enjoy operating and being in the OR for long periods of time, often doing what may seem monotonous (lysing adhesions, suturing layer upon layer upon layer, etc) but for some folks..

The quoted article opines that the decisions are made even earlier, though....students don't really know if they love the OR until they are on the clerkship.

Haha, well the Whipple I saw was a resident's first one where he and the attending were quite meticulous and it ended up taking 5 hours - I liked seeing the anatomy but I was definitely feeling the hypoglycemia and the boredom after a bit. The APRs I just couldn't make heads or tails of and just ended up feeling really bad for the poor lady with colon cancer :( Mind, I loved medical oncology, but gyn onc and surg onc just left me queasy. Now, Breast surg - that was a pretty awesome field.

5 hours is not bad for a Whipple. 3 hours is fast, 8 hours is painfully slow...I've experienced both. When done by an experienced pelvic surgeon, APRs shouldn't take more than 3 hours, but they're done for rectal cancer (not colon).

Truthfully, most surgery residents (and surgeons alike) don't enjoy the marathon cases much more than the students. There is a very small subset of surgeons that want to operate for 8 straight hours, and they usually gravitate toward the appropriate fields.

For general surgery, most cases end up in the 30 minute to 2 hour range. Using CRS as a subspecialty example: scopes take 10-20 minutes, anorectal cases take 15-60 minutes, and laparoscopic abdominal cases take 90-180 minutes.

I did have one old school surgeon who actually refused to consult medicine unless it was VERY serious - I had a lot of respect for him.

I always hate to hear that some surgery programs allow residents to dump medical problems on internal medicine. Knowing the perioperative treatment of medical issues is essential to a solid surgical education.

The quoted article opines that the decisions are made even earlier, though....students don't really know if they love the OR until they are on the clerkship.

I'll have to read through the actual article; I definitely agree that (at least for me) being on the clerkship is very very different from just shadowing in an OR beforehand or whatever.

5 hours is not bad for a Whipple. 3 hours is fast, 8 hours is painfully slow...I've experienced both. When done by an experienced pelvic surgeon, APRs shouldn't take more than 3 hours, but they're done for rectal cancer (not colon).

Truthfully, most surgery residents (and surgeons alike) don't enjoy the marathon cases much more than the students. There is a very small subset of surgeons that want to operate for 8 straight hours, and they usually gravitate toward the appropriate fields.

For general surgery, most cases end up in the 30 minute to 2 hour range. Using CRS as a subspecialty example: scopes take 10-20 minutes, anorectal cases take 15-60 minutes, and laparoscopic abdominal cases take 90-180 minutes.

Yah I should have said CRC as I think she had a huge rectal cancer, not colon (it was almost a year ago so I couldn't recall anyway) - it wasn't a super long case, I just couldn't make heads or tails of what was going on other than the fact that they were basically just slicing off everything around her anus and vagina, and then some - as such the educational value for me was limited. I usually had an attention span of about an hour in most of these cases, so when they began to run over, by the 1.5 hour mark I was daydreaming and the 2 hour mark I was pretty much just ready to be done. Mind, I actually like procedures - hence why I want to do cardio - just not ridiculously long ones.

Interesting that most surg residents feel that way too - I felt like they didn't have as much issue as I did with longer procedures but it makes sense.

I always hate to hear that some surgery programs allow residents to dump medical problems on internal medicine. Knowing the perioperative treatment of medical issues is essential to a solid surgical education.

I think it's a systemic issue to some degree; on my IM rotation we dumped OB issues on OB (even when it was medical stuff or just doing pelvic exams), and on OB they dumped all medical issues on IM. It was frustrating because I personally believe very much in being well rounded no matter the field you go into; for me, as future IM, I would be loathe to refer someone to OB just for pelvic pain - i'd want to do the exam, get the appropriate tests, etc before determining they have adhesions or whatever and then consulting OB.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting that most surg residents feel that way too - I felt like they didn't have as much issue as I did with longer procedures but it makes sense.

There are a few factors here at work that differentiate the surgical resident from the student:

1) time goes by much much faster when you are DOING rather than holding hook or watching;

2) the OR can be an escape from the ward work and the pager; I used to love to do cases with our Chief of Vascular because he would insist that our pagers be set to the message, "Dr X is in the OR and cannot be disturbed" (there was actually a pre-recorded message that said that!) and that all calls be referred to the other residents on service

3) the resident may have some say as to which cases they are doing; I loved doing Whipples with our PD because we were fast (3-4 hours) and he and I had similar temperaments and taste in music. One of the best days in residency was when said PD told me I didn't have to scrub cases with one of the other Surg Oncs who would routinely spend 8 hours jerking around in someone's abdomen/chest. I'd like to apologize to those poor interns and medical students I made go in my place. :smuggrin:

But as SLUser notes, there are few surgeons who really love the long cases. We get tired too.

A couple of thoughts:

1) Stop whining, do your job. If you get yelled at, do it better. It isn't that complicated, I suspect that if you took an average surgery intern and snuck them in as an M3 on a surgery rotation they'd nearly never get yelled at. Why is this? They show insight as to what the expectations are, respect for the system, and understanding of what needs to get done. Take some responsibility for your own situation and make it better.

2) The system is what it is. You may hate it, I may hate it. Nonetheless, it's been that way for over a century and, despite having some of the best minds involved, has not created a better system. Clearly, if it were that horrible and dysfunctional somewhere along the way it would have broken down and changed in to something better.

3) Different personalities and interests relate to and are interested in different fields. You may be a touchy-feely-care-bear type, congratulations - you have pediatrics. You may love rounding ad naseum and debating FeNa or CrCl, congratulations - you have GIM. It's disrespectful and just as arrogant as you are accusing the surgeons of being if you don't even try to consider their field and give it an honest effort.

I don't think it's ever appropriate to yell at anyone, ever.

A couple of thoughts:

1) Stop whining, do your job. If you get yelled at, do it better. It isn't that complicated, I suspect that if you took an average surgery intern and snuck them in as an M3 on a surgery rotation they'd nearly never get yelled at. Why is this? They show insight as to what the expectations are, respect for the system, and understanding of what needs to get done. Take some responsibility for your own situation and make it better.

2) The system is what it is. You may hate it, I may hate it. Nonetheless, it's been that way for over a century and, despite having some of the best minds involved, has not created a better system. Clearly, if it were that horrible and dysfunctional somewhere along the way it would have broken down and changed in to something better.

3) Different personalities and interests relate to and are interested in different fields. You may be a touchy-feely-care-bear type, congratulations - you have pediatrics. You may love rounding ad naseum and debating FeNa or CrCl, congratulations - you have GIM. It's disrespectful and just as arrogant as you are accusing the surgeons of being if you don't even try to consider their field and give it an honest effort.

There are so many that have posted here to debunk the myth that the "old surgeon mentality is still here." I'm glad that you've posted here to prove that they're wrong. Just to pick your post apart...

1.) I would hope that, for that intern's sake, if he were put in an MSIII rotation that he would perform well. If not, he should probably just hang up the scalpel and go into managing a McDonalds. I fail to see how this is relevant. Of course the bar is set lower for medical students, but that literally changes nothing about what was said in this thread. I'm hardly ever yelled at (the only time I can think of is when I was forced to be first assist in a laproscopic case on my first week because our senior had to go elsewhere - then, it was literally because I had no surgical skills and couldn't help much out at all).

2.) Worst. Logic. Ever. "That's the way it is because that's the way it's been for the past ___ years, so therefore, it must be the best way to do things." That's the way it is because it's convenient for those involved. They don't *actually* have to teach if they want to, and the number of surgeons that actually inspire medical students to do surgery is abysmal. Most students that do surgery enter surgery knowing what they want to do, and they stay on track.

3.) You're absolutely right. Different personalities go into different fields. However, many of the students here are excellent and hard working, go out of their way to help the team, and still are belittled by their team. For instance, I was on call this weekend and an issue came up about ordering TEG vs platelet mapping for a patient. When the resident (intern) that wasn't sure about TEG vs platelet mapping and I were alone, I mentioned to him the difference. I literally said, "Just so you know, platelet mapping is usually done if you suspect a congenital defect in platelets. It can tell you what the specific disease is associated with the defect." He basically scoffed at my attempt to educate him and shook his head like I was a *****. Little did he know that I did a pathology fellowship last year and looked at more TEGs in one month than he has in his career...Different personalities go into different fields, but there's no reason to not respect those personalities. Yes, everyone should spend a significant amount of time in the OR during the rotation. If nothing else, just to feel more comfortable with being sterile and the whole process that goes on in there. However, if you've got "touchy feely people," why not send them to clinic? If you've got solitary and scientific personalities, why not let them take the frozen section to the pathologist and view it with them? Why do we force people to remain shackled to the OR (especially late in the rotation), when we know that they'll never see it again in their career? There's many aspects to surgery - the OR, consults, clinics. Why do we not change the way it's done? "Because that's the way it's always been done."

Two days remaining.

Last edited:
A couple of thoughts:

A couple of other thoughts.

1. Reread the thread title.
2. This is your system. For producing surgeons. We are are travelers negotiating fare across the Balkanized and cloistered fields of medicine. We will adopt your masochistic customs only as much as our safe passage requires. We're pretty far apart on this one. What you guys do over the next 5 years is your own business.
3. We agree. The draw of certain types of people on average to certain fields. And we have not enjoyed yours.

A couple of thoughts:

Yeah and if you took a PGY3 and told everyone he was an intern I'm sure they'd all be impressed too. What? Are you really saying the expectations should be the same for an M3 who might be doing surgery as their first rotation EVER and an intern?

"It is what it is". What an argument.

Edit: Oh wait...you're a neurosurg resident. You're probably wondering why everyone doesn't want to eat and sleep in the OR.

This disappoints me on many levels.

Several of us attendings and senior residents have tried to show the SDN community that surgeons don't have to be *******s and the work can be enjoyable, despite the conventional wisdom here. You've now just proven their point with your arrogant, misinformed post.

Thanks. Really.

A couple of thoughts:

Unless someone is dying and the student is actively trying to hasten that, there really is no room for yelling. People that yell at students and colleagues do so because they have failed to learn the appropriate way to communicate as an adult. There is a reason why children have temper tantrums. They do not have the vocabulary and emotional control to have a rational discussion about their wants and needs. The same is true for adults who treat others this way.

To compare a surgical intern to an MS-3 makes no sense. Of course they have insight into what the expectations are and do a better job.

JOB. It is not the student's job to "get things done". They are not there to do your work or to make your life easier. They are there to learn. It is your job to provide the expectations to the students and provide the opportunity for them to meet those expectations. A student who does poorly on a rotation generally does so because the expectations have not been clearly set, not because they don't care. Does learning during clinical years also include taking care of patients (ie, not just reading in the library)? Of course it does and the students do have a responsibility to see that their educational goals are being met and be responsible for that, but as a resident in a teaching program, you also have a responsibility to help them with that.

You are showing your ignorance here. The system HAS changed. The Halstead manner of training where residents lived in the hospital no longer exists. Work hour restrictions have existed outside of NYC since 2003; even in NSGY programs with exceptions to 88 hours/week. Surgeons who throw temper tantrums, abuse staff and throw instruments are no longer tolerated and may actually face loss of hospital privileges.

The system was horrible and dysfunctional and your defense of yelling at students represents the old guard. I worked q2 rotations and over 120 hours per week. I got into a car accident on the way home post call because I fell asleep at the wheel driving home. I saw orders written which made no sense or where the writing was completely illegible. Do I defend long hours in the hospital as a trainee? Absolutely. If you're not there, you miss things. But those 120 hours, those days of staying 36, 42, etc. hours post call were not educational. I wasn't operating, taking care of patients and actively learning for much of those hours. A lot of the time I was sitting in the call room waiting for the Chief to be done with his fem-distal so I could sign out post call. There was no benefit to that then and there certainly isn't any justification for it now. Is 80 hours enough? I don't know, but to claim that the system hasn't changed is just flat out wrong.

I don't know what the solution is but there are PLENTY of people within surgical academia who recognize that the old ways were not the best and that while we face a dilemma on how to effectively train surgeons in the day of reduced work hours, they are willing to figure a way to do so.

To simply say "that's the way it is and you'll like it" is a cop out. I said the same thing when I was a resident. Almost all of us did, because we didn't know any better and perhaps we had attendings whom we looked up to who made us believe those things.

We can and will do better as a profession. If we don't change, we will continue to lose the best and the brightest of medical students to other fields and our field will be lost to midlevel encroachment when we can no longer staff ORs and clinics. So we HAVE to change.

Yes, many of the posters in this thread have been disrespect to surgeons and the field. However, your marginalization of other specialties here is just as bad and disrepsectful. We are all on the same team and while we can joke about the differences, there is no room to be arrogant and disrespectful of the choices others make.

So again, thank you for proving their point. I suggest you reread what you've written in a few years and come back and see how your attitude about training and your colleages in other specialties has changed. And I encourage you to join the forces to FIND a way to change surgical training so as to attract more students. It starts way before MS-3; pre-meds read threads like this and make up their minds that surgery is not for them because of the blatant unpleasant attitudes.

Last edited:
It's good to see attendings agree that there is no room for yelling. There are nice neurosurgeons too, who don't think life needs to be spent in the hospital :p

Anyone who yells at someone is probably someone with insecurity, mentally pathetic/insane(get dat psych consult), or doesn't know how to be nice. These are usually the same people that are single and/or get divorced. I'm not saying neusu is this, but I hope to God he NEVER yelled at a human being, ever. I dunno if he'll have the ability to justify why if so haha.

A MS3 doesn't have a job CLOSE to an intern. Anybody who needs med students to get things done probably is a bad intern. Plain and simple. Med students help out and are involved in patient care. However, if there are no med students, the hospital will function exactly the same.

A couple of thoughts:

Had it not been for attitudes similar to yours, which I encountered from surgeons and surgical residents as a med student, I might have actually considered a surgical career.

A couple of thoughts:

Thank you for proving yourself to be arrogant and condescending. Your fellow surgeons have spent time in this thread trying to debunk every point you've just brought up; way to go.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
While this latest post is upsetting, please be considerate of each other and be advised that name calling is not warranted and is a TOS violation.

You're an interesting case. Taking it personally the perception of your profession in an unexpected manner. I've seen the opposite--a churlish sort of bravado that took pride in it's off-putting of the "weak."

I can understand. Although I don't see you as a new normal I don't quite see you as the equivalent of an openly gay marine. Maybe somewhere in the middle of those 2 benchmarks.

It's true what you say about the decline in desirability of a surgical career. So you are clearly forward thinking. I didn't want to be disrespectful of your point of view. But you're taking upon yourself the cultural identity of your field as a whole. So offense where some of us could use a good laughing vent seems unavoidable. And clearly we have encountered less of you than you have hoped for.

Also there's a difference between a hearty good riddance you d-bags! And a lack of respect. Any job that people need doing well. For themselves or their loved ones that takes 80 hours a weak or more to do competently has my respect.

But not my affection. And most certainly not my desire to imitate. If that is disrespectful then so be it. Lacking the ability to do so from the low position in life, I ain't even given as good as I've gotten from y'all. And I'm not the only one....apparently....despite your desire for better PR.

Interesting perspective.

You're an interesting case. Taking it personally the perception of your profession in an unexpected manner. I've seen the opposite--a churlish sort of bravado that took pride in it's off-putting of the "weak."

Absolutely. The phrase, "there's no crying in surgery" is rampant. There is definitively bravado in doing something one assumes others are too weak to do.

But it was not unexpected to me that surgery has a poor perception. Hell, I had it myself before I did it as a 3rd year and was encouraged to pursue it further. My post was in response to a resident who should have taken the time to see what had transpired into a cooling of the fires before dowsing the thread with petrol.

I can understand. Although I don't see you as a new normal I don't quite see you as the equivalent of an openly gay marine. Maybe somewhere in the middle of those 2 benchmarks.

:laugh:

Wonderful analogy and on point. I am not the "openly gay marine" and I do not wish to posit myself as the newer, kinder, gentler surgeon. I have the typical surgeon mentality of wanting things and wanting them done now; I am assertive and have been known to raise my voice although my style tends to be more passive aggressive (ie, Me to local hospital: "if you hire a breast surgeon to practice in this area, I will take my business and those of my partners elsewhere and you can expect to lose over 1000 cases a year from us. " Local hospital: :scared: ) I recognize that there is a surgical mentality and although you can't be "too nice to be a surgeon", you do have to possess certain attributes.

It's true what you say about the decline in desirability of a surgical career. So you are clearly forward thinking. I didn't want to be disrespectful of your point of view. But you're taking upon yourself the cultural identity of your field as a whole.

That might be taking it a bit too far. I'm not offended and frankly, rolled my eyes when I first saw this thread, as really a bunch of venting by some medical students.

I actually enjoy the bad reputation of surgeons/surgery to some extent because I get such positive feedback about how different I am in comparison. People that don't know me never guess what I do for a living, even in the hospitals. I don't self-identify as a surgeon anymore than most people who have a career do; sure, its part of my life and I would love it if surgery had a better reputation in the medical world but the fact is that in the lay public surgeons do have good reps. Its really only at the medical student and to some extent the resident level, especially in academia where surgeons are demonized. Out in private practice, not so much. Then again, we have to be nice guys because we won't generate referrals if we aren't.

Also there's a difference between a hearty good riddance you d-bags! And a lack of respect. Any job that people need doing well. For themselves or their loved ones that takes 80 hours a weak or more to do competently has my respect.

But not my affection. And most certainly not my desire to imitate. If that is disrespectful then so be it. Lacking the ability to do so from the low position in life, I ain't even given as good as I've gotten from y'all. And I'm not the only one....apparently....despite your desire for better PR.

No one expects everyone to want to be a surgeon. Nor do I expect that everyone will love it.There is nothing disrespectful about not wanting to pursue a specialty, at least not that I ever saw. The disrespect was in comments made by some users here who painted all of us with the same brush and from neusu who disrepected her colleagues in non-surgical fields. It is indeed sad that the student experience has led to this. But I'm not suprised; surgeons can be too bombastic to think that rules apply to them. Every other field saw the 80 hour rules coming down the pike; surgeons thought it wouldn't happen to them. "Hell with them, we make our own rules!" Now we're faced with a new generation that doesn't want to work the same hours, especially in the face of declining reimbursement and prestige.

Last edited:

It's true what you say about the decline in desirability of a surgical career. So you are clearly forward thinking. I didn't want to be disrespectful of your point of view. But you're taking upon yourself the cultural identity of your field as a whole. So offense where some of us could use a good laughing vent seems unavoidable. And clearly we have encountered less of you than you have hoped for.

I think neusu's post exhibits the typical neurosurgery bravado BS that I've seen in some of their residents - which is funny, because I've also interacted with some NS residents who exhibit the exact opposite (nice, understanding, and good teachers). I don't know why they think that this sort of behavior is okay or acceptable; I don't care how stressed you are, acting like a jerk to medical students, ancillary staff, etc. and being totally inconsiderate of how they feel is 100% unacceptable. It would get someone's butt fired in the real nonmedical world, and certainly would do so in private practice/community positions, so it should certainly not be tolerated in residency either.

EDIT: I agree with WS's post that to some extent surgery requires a bit of assertiveness; it's just where you draw the line at assertive vs. jerkoff-ish that really determines someone's character. Someone who expects efficiency and autonomy from a resident while maintaining a concerned, reasonable outlook is assertive; someone who yells at students for essentially being there, or expecting them to do all the scut or be retractor biatches is not okay.

I agree, any resident/attending saying they are overworked and stressed as a reason to be a jerk, yell, or grumpy is not a good excuse whatsoever. If they actually tell me that, I might just burst out laughing with a cool story bro afterwards. If you really feel that way, at least save it at home, where you can release stress and vent. It's very easy to be nice, have a smile on your face, and be a normal person during work. On my OB and surgery rotations, I thankfully have never been yelled at or scolded at by anyone. However, there have been some standoffish ladies in OBGYN and some grumpy peeps in surgery. I could have trolled them by saying how I got 8-9 hours of sleep last night and went out for drinks with a big smile on my face, but that's not very classy :smuggrin:

Its all about setting expectations (on both sides). Ideally, if its made apparent from the beginning that you are there to learn about how to manage surgical problems as a non-surgeon, I think it completely reasonable to limit in-OR time.

I think the problem is its unreasonable to give students a choice in what to do. Motivated students believe (probably correctly) that if they announce they aren't interested in surgery at the start of a rotation, or that they'd rather do things out of the OR, they'll be punished both with less attention from the already busy residents and with a poor eval. Ultimately the only people who would actually anounce they don't care about a lap chole are the most apethetic students, who aren't the ones I think need to be rewarded with an atypically pleasant surgery rotation.

In terms of setting expectations, I think that if we are going to keep the surgery rotation as part of the core cirruculum we should limit the total amount of time students can spend in the OR. Maybe 8 hours/week? That's enough tourist time that students can decide if they're excited by procedures, but it still reserves the bulk of learning time for consults and floor work where students can actually learn something.

I know there are a couple nice surgeons in this thread but... holy crap, what a terrible career. What's with the hazing and the huge egos. Glad the money is leaving soon for surgeons (fee for service... bye bye), maybe someone will wake up and realize being egotistical hazing jerks is decimating the talent pool.

Just terrible.

Good post

I think the problem is its unreasonable to give students a choice in what to do. Motivated students believe (probably correctly) that if they announce they aren't interested in surgery at the start of a rotation, or that they'd rather do things out of the OR, they'll be punished both with less attention from the already busy residents and with a poor eval. Ultimately the only people who would actually anounce they don't care about a lap chole are the most apethetic students, who aren't the ones I think need to be rewarded with an atypically pleasant surgery rotation.

In terms of setting expectations, I think that if we are going to keep the surgery rotation as part of the core cirruculum we should limit the total amount of time students can spend in the OR. Maybe 8 hours/week? That's enough tourist time that students can decide if they're excited by procedures, but it still reserves the bulk of learning time for consults and floor work where students can actually learn something.
As a future non-surgeon, I appreciated my time in the OR. I was on an OR-heavy rotation where I usually spent at least 5-7 hours in the OR of my 12 hour day. I still was able to do consults on my q4 overnighters. Clinic wasn't an option for us (maybe if we asked) so I'm glad I was in the OR instead of sitting around reading. We had a lot of teaching, however, during cases. I learned a lot on the rotation and despite not wanting to do surgery, found the rotation a lot more enjoyable than expected. I would not be a proponent of limiting OR time, but I haven't been around the block except for 1 measly rotation.

I agree. I believe the elevated position of surgery in the core curriculum, 3 months in total over year 3-4 at my school, is a relic. Of the time when amputating gangrenous limbs was one of our only definitive treatments. With so many fields left out until a student will apply, spending hours getting pimped by an old surgeon on old surgical technique and surgical anatomy is the pinnacle of pointlessness. 3 months of ward time....and half the world of medicine unknown. Somebody long ago needed to tackle the departmental ego impact of surgery in our training. For multiple reasons.

I'm not sure that 12 weeks is standard. I've seen 8 weeks for Core rotations at many schools allowing for electives.

But even if it were, is 12 weeks of Psych ok? Peds? What else would you cut--or just the hated surgery rotation?

I'm not sure that 12 weeks is standard. I've seen 8 weeks for Core rotations at many schools allowing for electives.

But even if it were, is 12 weeks of Psych ok? Peds? What else would you cut--or just the hated surgery rotation?

1. Cut from everything except medicine. (And I'm not going into medicine)
2. Add elective time. So if you like urology, you have a chance to find out before you marry some other field.
3. Add palliative Medicine to the core. Maybe just a couple of weeks. I think addressing our system's high dollar, balls out approach to the futility of aged decreptitude in a society that has no cultural means of approaching death is far more important than how you guys used to approach some procedure or what this thingy is named after some 18th century doctor.

If I was in charge....who is?....but if I was this would be done yesterday.

To me, the funny part about the neurosurgery resident's post here is that I felt the most welcomed by any department when I was on my neurosurgery elective. The residents were friendly to students and included me in whatever it was I wanted to do. They gave me freedom, and understood that I didn't want a career in neurosurgery; I just wanted to check it out because cutting the brain sounded cool.

We have 8 weeks for all rotations, including elective time. I think it's too short. Our rotation is (here's my schedule): Family Med, Internal Med, Surgery, Psych/Neuro (6 weeks psych, 2 weeks neuro), OB/GYN, Peds.

I would love to see Family Medicine eliminated. It's medicine light + Peds + OB/GYN (and we don't even see the OB/GYN stuff). By cutting those 8 weeks, we could have 12 weeks of Surg and IM, which I would see as most beneficial. While I haven't enjoyed my surgery rotation as much as I would have thought, I have learned a lot during it.

I know there are a couple nice surgeons in this thread but... holy crap, what a terrible career. What's with the hazing and the huge egos. Glad the money is leaving soon for surgeons (fee for service... bye bye), maybe someone will wake up and realize being egotistical hazing jerks is decimating the talent pool.

Just terrible.

I think it's a great career. I couldn't be happier with my choice. I am allowed to practice the medicine that I find the most interesting (cancer, IBD), perform multiple procedures that I enjoy (laparoscopy, robotics, endoscopy), have excellent patient outcomes (cancer resections with excellent long-term survival, or simple anorectal procedures that alleviate severe patient discomfort), practice in an environment where I'm allowed to teach and do clinical research, remain up-to-date and cutting edge with my surgical approaches, and still help put my two children to bed at night.

Certainly it was a long road getting here, but my hard work has allowed me to have a very balanced practice with time for education, research/publication, administration, large fancy operations, quick simple operations, endoscopy, serving the veterans, and so forth. In addition, I have a very reasonable lifestyle where my clinical obligations allow for plenty of exercise and family time. I must admit that my own ambitions and professional goals keep me working long hours, but it's not forced upon me anymore.

I think it's common for students to have tunnel vision, and not realize that there's a big surgical world outside of their n=1 institutional experience. It's not for everybody, but for those that enjoy it, surgery can be an extremely rewarding specialty.

1. Cut from everything except medicine. (And I'm not going into medicine)
2. Add elective time. So if you like urology, you have a chance to find out before you marry some other field.
3. Add palliative Medicine to the core. Maybe just a couple of weeks. I think addressing our system's high dollar, balls out approach to the futility of aged decreptitude in a society that has no cultural means of approaching death is far more important than how you guys used to approach some procedure or what this thingy is named after some 18th century doctor.

If I was in charge....who is?....but if I was this would be done yesterday.

I think a month in the ER should be mandatory, possibly as a fourth year.

As for the "core" rotations, I think that they still add a great deal to the foundation of a medical student's knowledge base, and shouldn't be shortened too much. While I hated OB and got bored on Psych, I still learned just as much on those rotations as I did on my 3 months of internal medicine.

As for Neusu's post, the emotional responses have been sort of amusing. I refer you to my previous post in this thread:
I disagree. Stereotypes don't define the majority. They define the loud and obnoxious minority.....The few true malignant stereotype surgeons make a larger impression than the many fair and well-adjusted surgeons. Stereotypes therefore don't exist because that's how it is most places...they exist because bad behavior leaves a big stamp in your mind, while normal behavior goes relatively unnoticed.

Oh, I agree completely actually. This is why when a long, crappy case is lining up to go well into the night, I just tell the student to take off. If I act like they should choose, then they'll feel bad if they say "I'd rather just go home," even though I'd rather just go home too instead of doing a fem-distal.

However, you can say "I'd like to get a broad experience on this rotation, doing clinic 1-2 days a week, being in the OR 2 days, and then seeing consults the other day," rather than "I'd like to avoid the OR."

I won't argue with what you experienced, but I will argue with your contention that students don't learn anything in the OR. If you are adequately prepared for the case, then there is plenty to learn. When you have been in the OR with your patient, you have a much, much better idea of the things that could go wrong or what to expect post-operatively. It should not be a mysterious black box where patients go in and come out (or don't), where you don't really know or care what they did inside. 8 hours/week is barely going to cover the bread-and-butter cases, and it certainly won't get you far on a cardiac or transplant service.

Just terrible.
This is the kind of ignorant backstabbing that makes physicians such poor lobbyists. Here you are, tentatively going to become a physician, and all you can do is say that you're GLAD that surgeons are going to see a huge pay cut. This follows perfectly with the saying "First they came for the communists, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist. Then they came for the socialists, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a socialist. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak for me."

If physicians would stick together and do what is best for the patient and our professional careers, we could all do better than we are currently going to do. Instead, you're letting petty, unprofessional bickering wipe out your colleagues.

It's also ignorant and wrong to say that the talent pool is being decimated when surgery is as competitive as ever.

I don't disagree that we have a huge problem with dealing with death, but it should be dealt with at a resident/attending/patient level rather than a med student level. Patients and their families are the first problem, attendings are the next.

We have 8 weeks for all rotations, including elective time. I think it's too short. Our rotation is (here's my schedule): Family Med, Internal Med, Surgery, Psych/Neuro (6 weeks psych, 2 weeks neuro), OB/GYN, Peds.

I would love to see Family Medicine eliminated. It's medicine light + Peds + OB/GYN
(and we don't even see the OB/GYN stuff).
Absolutely. My pediatric inpatient rotation options were all pretty good (mine was overly focused, but it was my fault for choosing it), but the outpatient rotations were kind of a joke. Psych was very hit-or-miss on the consult service, and neuro was painful and awful.

Two months of inpatient medicine, a month of general surgery in a high-volume community hospital, and a month of trauma/acute care surgery at a busy academic Level 1 trauma center with in-house Q4 call = best use of my third year. OB/gyn was a good rotation for me personally, since I like babies and surgery. I also had an anesthesia rotation that incorporated ATLS and ACLS, which was all very helpful. I could agree with a required ED rotation. I did one as an elective and had a great time. I was disappointed that they were unable to convince me to do it as a specialty, since the lifestyle/salary are pretty decent.

Good point SLU. It is a loud minority. Guess I didn't think they have the gall to actually speak. Those kind of people are hard to respect. I don't care if you save lives or are smart, I would not take someone like that seriously at all. More like :laugh: at their lame reasons for everything. Like I said above, if I was working with a surgeon like that, I'd troll them SO hard, like "Wow, people who like working over 80 hours are seriously screwed in the head" and watch the eruption occurs.

To me, the funny part about the neurosurgery resident's post here is that I felt the most welcomed by any department when I was on my neurosurgery elective. The residents were friendly to students and included me in whatever it was I wanted to do. They gave me freedom, and understood that I didn't want a career in neurosurgery; I just wanted to check it out because cutting the brain sounded cool.

I would love to see Family Medicine eliminated. It's medicine light + Peds + OB/GYN (and we don't even see the OB/GYN stuff). By cutting those 8 weeks, we could have 12 weeks of Surg and IM, which I would see as most beneficial. While I haven't enjoyed my surgery rotation as much as I would have thought, I have learned a lot during it.
I'd have to disagree, based on my rotation experience, about cutting family medicine. My core rotation had me seeing complex management cases every day. The rotation put me in the hospital for a week on the FM's service. Most of my electives were/are in FM and I've gotten excellent exposure to peds, gyn and obstetrics, often times with more experience than those cores.

I think its rotation dependent, but eliminating the outpatient FM experience is not a good idea in my opinion.

I think it's a great career. I couldn't be happier with my choice. I am allowed to practice the medicine that I find the most interesting (cancer, IBD), perform multiple procedures that I enjoy (laparoscopy, robotics, endoscopy), have excellent patient outcomes (cancer resections with excellent long-term survival, or simple anorectal procedures that alleviate severe patient discomfort), practice in an environment where I'm allowed to teach and do clinical research, remain up-to-date and cutting edge with my surgical approaches, and still help put my two children to bed at night.

Certainly it was a long road getting here, but my hard work has allowed me to have a very balanced practice with time for education, research/publication, administration, large fancy operations, quick simple operations, endoscopy, serving the veterans, and so forth. In addition, I have a very reasonable lifestyle where my clinical obligations allow for plenty of exercise and family time. I must admit that my own ambitions and professional goals keep me working long hours, but it's not forced upon me anymore.

I think it's common for students to have tunnel vision, and not realize that there's a big surgical world outside of their n=1 institutional experience. It's not for everybody, but for those that enjoy it, surgery can be an extremely rewarding specialty.

I think a month in the ER should be mandatory, possibly as a fourth year.

As for the "core" rotations, I think that they still add a great deal to the foundation of a medical student's knowledge base, and shouldn't be shortened too much. While I hated OB and got bored on Psych, I still learned just as much on those rotations as I did on my 3 months of internal medicine.

As for Neusu's post, the emotional responses have been sort of amusing. I refer you to my previous post in this thread:

I think the addition of ED to the core is a fantastic idea. I'm only suggesting cuts because medical educators have deemed it suitable to choose your life's work without meeting half the eligible mates. That's just a singularity of ridiculousness. I'm for increased student selection autonomy throughout, beginning clinical course work earlier, and rolling the pertinent parts of step 1 into the step 2 exam.

I could have cut out half of M1 and be better prepared for my field and internship with the time I've spent so far. Not that anybody's asking.

I'd have to disagree, based on my rotation experience, about cutting family medicine. My core rotation had me seeing complex management cases every day. The rotation put me in the hospital for a week on the FM's service. Most of my electives were/are in FM and I've gotten excellent exposure to peds, gyn and obstetrics, often times with more experience than those cores.

I think its rotation dependent, but eliminating the outpatient FM experience is not a good idea in my opinion.

That's fine, but again, we're getting into specialty training.

Managing the complicated patient is something that is done by primary care physicians. Learning that skill is covered in FM and IM residency. Learning good, general medicine is what should be done in third year, and I don't feel that FM provided that for me.

Guess it depends on what people want to do. There are some people that want to specialize, and some who don't

Lots of good points by detractors and supporters of surgery ITT.

Let me just say that I start surgery in January. As a 3rd year medical student, I have not done any true procedures (like placing an IV/Foley, and hell no to the bronch). Nurses place IVs and Foleys on the floor for IM, and only CCM fellows are allowed to do bronchs (not even residents at my hospital). Intubation would probably be done if I went to ER/TICU maybe.

During my surgery rotation I plan to possibly place an IV, definitely place a Foley, and intubate at least once or twice during my Anesthesia sub-block.

I am looking forward to Surgery, but I will definitely be walking on egg-shells for probably most of it.

As to this thread, I have definitely heard stories at my hospital about unruly surgeons. However, I have heard less of them on a percentage basis than I have heard on SDN.

That being said, I respect WS and Prowler, both of whom seem to have the right idea of what a practicing surgeon (and surgery resident) should be acting like, including respect for a med student's time. That is going to be the biggest pain in my ass, if a resident doesn't send me home instead of coming to watch another lap chole at 6:30pm.

That being said, I respect WS and Prowler, both of whom seem to have the right idea of what a practicing surgeon (and surgery resident) should be acting like, including respect for a med student's time. That is going to be the biggest pain in my ass, if a resident doesn't send me home instead of coming to watch another lap chole at 6:30pm.
You should be so lucky. Cases lining up at 6:30pm are usually cold feet or perforated bowel, and a 30 minute case will suddenly seem like it would be sweet manna....

I support the FM clerkship, I think it adds an important psychosocial dimension that students can miss on the inpatient side, where the focus in that realm doesn't usually deviate much from the discharge pathway. It's the place where you meet patients pre-pre-admission and post-post-admission. And with primary care going to be a bigger and bigger part of how we deliver health care going forward, we should be seeing how it's done.

The surgery clerkship here is I think a very good balance of OR, inpatient rounds, call, and outpatient clinic. I spent a lot less time in the OR than I thought I would, actually. We have eleven weeks of mandatory Surgery, but four of them aren't until fourth year (that's your sub-I if you're going into surgery, and subspecialties if you aren't). Medicine gets six weeks inpatient and 3.5 outpatient, along with a mandatory fourth year inpatient sub-I. Other than that, we have OB/Gyn, Peds, Psych, and Neuro. Neuro is 3.5 weeks, the others are six or seven. Mandatory EM for four weeks fourth year as well.

I mention all this because it sounds a lot like what people in here are asking for at their programs. And yeah we have the early Step 1 and more clinical time - and I can't imagine med school any other way. I think it's absolutely superior to the traditional curriculum.

It is really interesting to hear what everybody else's rotations are like.

I loved my surgery rotation. I spent some serious time considering surgery as a career afterwards, but ended up deciding I liked the rotation more than the OR. We do 6 weeks of general surgery and two 3 week elective blocks where at least one of the electives has to be in a surgical subspecialty. We were given a list of surgeries that they thought were basic and we all should see, but other than that we were specifically told on the first day of our rotation that if we weren't considering a surgical career they would prefer us to spend more time seeing consults, being in clinic and managing patients on the floor. The surgeons said that doing these things would help us with knowing when to consult surgery and give us a basic idea of the sorts of things the surgeon might ask when we call in a surgery consult later in our careers. In terms of evaluations you get a lot more one on one time with attendings in the clinic anyways.

If I could cut down something from our curriculum it would be IM/neuro. We have 16 weeks of IM/neuro over 3 and 4 year and it is painful. On neuro I was on consult team and we had to be there at 8am for morning conference but then frequently sat around until 11:30 or so when the other teams finished their rounds and consulted us. We didn't start rounding until 2 or 3 in the afternoon and then would round until at least 7 at night. And they usually tried to send all four medical students to do one consult each day as a "team". The rest of the day we got to read in the cafeteria if we were lucky or shadow the residents if they thought the consult would be educational.

I would increase our peds time, we have 6 weeks, but it is 2 weeks in patient, 2 weeks outpatient, one week newborn nursery and one week pediatric subspecialties and pediatric surgical specialties. It really wasn't enough time to learn all that we were supposed to about all those different areas.

Our family medicine rotation is weird. I spent one day at a diabetes clinic, a jail, a school clinic, a free clinic, a wound clinic, and a bunch of other places that I don't remember. Then we spend two weeks in a private practice clinic. And the only part of the rotation that is graded is the week we spend in the resident clinic. But I ended up there Thanksgiving week so I was graded on two days out of my entire rotation...

We do have mandatory EM during fourth year. But if you aren't applying in EM you can't get it early on in the year so it really doesn't help people figure out what they want to go into.

This disappoints me on many levels.

Several of us attendings and senior residents have tried to show the SDN community that surgeons don't have to be *******s and the work can be enjoyable, despite the conventional wisdom here. You've now just proven their point with your arrogant, misinformed post.

Thanks. Really

Not all med students will assume neusu's attitude is representative of all surgeons. I'm a third-year finishing up my first surgery block. I like it, but I'm horrible at it. I'm getting better at suturing and holding the camera for lap choles, but I'm just not very good. My attending has never yelled at me. I know he gets frustrated with me during OR cases, but he's never been rude. In fact, a few days ago he was visibly frustrated when I struggled to do something simple like release a hemostat (can't remember exactly what it was), he just sighed and said, "it's not your fault; you're at a bad angle." He's pretty much dispelled the myth that neusu perpetuates.

I think the problem is its unreasonable to give students a choice in what to do. Motivated students believe (probably correctly) that if they announce they aren't interested in surgery at the start of a rotation, or that they'd rather do things out of the OR, they'll be punished both with less attention from the already busy residents and with a poor eval. Ultimately the only people who would actually anounce they don't care about a lap chole are the most apethetic students, who aren't the ones I think need to be rewarded with an atypically pleasant surgery rotation

I think I'm a pretty motivated student. On the first day of my surgery rotation, my attending asked me what I wanted to go into. I was honest about the fact that surgery isn't on my list. At the time, I did wonder if it would affect his attitude toward me, but I wasn't going to lie about it. Fortunately, he's been great. He even teases me about the fields I'm interested in and I think he realizes that even if I did want to go into surgery, I'm not talented enough to ever be good at it. :)

As to the other discussion in this thread, I liked family medicine and I learned a lot. I don't plan on going into FM or IM or peds, but I thought it was beneficial to my education just the same. My school requires us to do an ER block and a cardiology block as well.

I won't argue with what you experienced, but I will argue with your contention that students don't learn anything in the OR. If you are adequately prepared for the case, then there is plenty to learn. When you have been in the OR with your patient, you have a much, much better idea of the things that could go wrong or what to expect post-operatively. It should not be a mysterious black box where patients go in and come out (or don't), where you don't really know or care what they did inside. 8 hours/week is barely going to cover the bread-and-butter cases, and it certainly won't get you far on a cardiac or transplant service.
I guess the issue is that I think that, if there isn't too much OR, then there is far, far too little. Even if you're lucky enough to actually rotate through half a dozen different services, and even if you operate all day every day, an 8 or even 12 week rotation will barely scratch the surface of small percentage of potential common surgical cases.

I think that surgery is now diverse enough, and evoloving fast enough, that you basically HAVE to accept that when you send someone in for an operation it's basically a black box. Even if some people really are capable of learning the ins and outs of common procedures in the OR, I think that floor work remains more important because its more universal.

I wasn't interested in surgery prior to my surgery rotation AND my surgery rotation just made my decision to do EM stronger (level 2 county hospital, students work up all consults, including ED consults unless emergent).

That said, I never really had any issues with any of the attendings, residents, or OR staff. I thought that they did want the students to learn and tried to facilitate that when they can. Granted, some had more time than others, but I didn't sense any malignancy during my program from the medical staff and 99% of the OR staff.

Ill tell you how it works for me as someone half way through PGY 4 year. It is very, very, very easy to get on my bad side.

The only thing you have to do to stay on my good side is to do your job, and do it well. To many medical students roll through my service (ortho) rolling their eyes, and whining about the hours.

Suck it up. Its for a month, or 6 weeks, or whatever. Do yourself a favor, don't ever to complain to a resident about how hard you have to work or how much you have to do. I promise you, that resident has way more on his/her plate than you do.

Ill tell you how it works for me as someone half way through PGY 4 year. It is very, very, very easy to get on my bad side.

The only thing you have to do to stay on my good side is to do your job, and do it well. To many medical students roll through my service (ortho) rolling their eyes, and whining about the hours.

Suck it up. Its for a month, or 6 weeks, or whatever. Do yourself a favor, don't ever to complain to a resident about how hard you have to work or how much you have to do. I promise you, that resident has way more on his/her plate than you do.

I agree it is very poor form to complain.

However residents such as yourself are very difficult to work with because (as you admit) you are so easily ticked off. As you know medical students often never have a clue of it is we should be doing (especially 3rd years). It is also often the case that the standards of a "job done well" are such that they couldn't be done by even an otherwise great student.

But surgery is what it is. I did not like it. I did not overall have bad experiences with those I worked with but there were residents who definitely rubbed me the wrong way. This occurred mostly in the surgical fields as those residents/attendings all tend to have similar personalities.

I agree it is very poor form to complain.

However residents such as yourself are very difficult to work with because (as you admit) you are so easily ticked off. As you know medical students often never have a clue of it is we should be doing (especially 3rd years). It is also often the case that the standards of a "job done well" are such that they couldn't be done by even an otherwise great student.

But surgery is what it is. I did not like it. I did not overall have bad experiences with those I worked with but there were residents who definitely rubbed me the wrong way. This occurred mostly in the surgical fields as those residents/attendings all tend to have similar personalities.

I only made suggestions to improve the rotation to our course coordinator at our mid-block meeting, did what I was told, tried my best to make the residents life easier all the while learning something applicable to the field I want to go into, and still had a miserable rotation. Maybe you guys would be less miserable if you actually expressed to medical students what you wanted. That was the absolute worst thing about surgery. Even on the first day, people would just look at you and expect something to get done, then get p***ed off when you either didn't do it or did the wrong thing. That's why you have vocal cords, people.

Let's see. I must have left it around here somewhere. Hmmm. Nope. Can't find a f@ck to give about your bad side.

Have fun with that one. Look out for Jody easily gettin on your woman's good side while you're busy humpin around the hospital huffin and puffin about your bad side.

I don't think I even have a bad side. You can be the rudest person ever, and I'll still have a big cheesy grin on me, and suffocating them with kindness :D
If it's that easy to get on a bad side, maybe it's best to find stress relieving techniques...cause it shouldn't be considered easy to get on a bad side whatsoever. Being moody is not good for anyone!

when students go home, they still have to study

and also, no one cares "how it works for you". im guessing most of the people who work with you hate your guts and talk shi* behind your back

Um.... Residents still have to study. In fact, I read more now, study more now than I did as a student. You just do it faster, smarter. Remember, we have boards to take at the end of residency, yearly in service exams, and still have to take step 3 during the first few years. And we have to read on our patients.

Um.... Residents still have to study. In fact, I read more now, study more now than I did as a student. You just do it faster, smarter. Remember, we have boards to take at the end of residency, yearly in service exams, and still have to take step 3 during the first few years. And we have to read on our patients.

its not the same. you dont have the same strict deadlines to read. its all more flexible. we have 4-6 weeks to learn a large volume of info, and then take a test that is essentially a competition between classmates.

you also learn a lot more on the job as a resident since you have more responsibility.