deadline to apply to rcsi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txknockout

I like minkees!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was the deadline for this fall june 1st?? Someone just told me to apply and that it wasn't too late but when I checked the website it said the deadline has already passed :(

Members don't see this ad.

I think the deadline has already passed. They are not conducting any more interviews for north american students. The North american spots have all been filled and they even have people on the waitlist. But do apply next year as early as possible. RCSI takes students as they come. If they like you, they'll offer you admission before interviewing all the candidates.

You're better off anyway. Just do something worthwhile and apply at home again next year. By not getting to apply abroad you may have dodged a bullet.

Members don't see this ad :)
student.ie...chill out man...
why don't you leave ireland so someone else who wants to be there can have a chance?

Choda said:
student.ie...chill out man...
why don't you leave ireland so someone else who wants to be there can have a chance?

They don't take transfers so it's not as if someone could take my spot anyway.

student.ie said:
They don't take transfers so it's not as if someone could take my spot anyway.

then just leave dude, if you hate it so much
no one's pointing a gun at your head

your logic and your attitude blows my mind

student.ie, I've met some disillusioned and unhappy North American students before who aren't used to the change from the US. But they all managed to find happiness and turned their negative attitudes or experiences into positive ones. Why are you so bitter? Don't ruin it for people who actually want to be in Ireland.

1. You don't know what specialty you want to do until late in the course.

2. Not everyone wants to go into primary care.

3. IMG's have great difficulty doing anything else unless they've reached a high level of expertise abroad, which is no longer possible in Ireland.

If you find yourself 5 years down the road and $200,000 in debt loving internal medicine, then you'll be happy about going to med school in Ireland. If you really loved your rotation in ENT or Opth or Surgery, etc. though, you'll realize that going abroad was a big mistake. The trouble is that you don't know until it's too late.

Everyone who chooses to come to Ireland recognizes the fact that IMGS may not be able to compete for highly competitive residencies. IMGs do okay in general surgery, etc. and most things are open. There are successful IMGs each year who've done the work, done the research, done whatever possible to improve their chances for their specific choice of residency. If you were so hell bent on those residencies, you should not have chosen this option...I would consider the fault yours, because it is common knowledge to all US IMGs that placing into their exact choice or highest residency may not be a viable option. It seems you didn't do the right research or introspection in choosing to come here, or make the most of your experiences.

As I said before, don't ruin it for people who actually want to be here. Most north american IMGs are conscious of the risks they take upon going the IMG route.

Student.ie...I feel sorry for you. You should be making the most of your time here in Ireland and in medical school. Your attitude is absolutely appalling and it's only counterproductive. YOU made the decision to come to Ireland... Being bitter and resentful will only hold you back in the long run.

Here's a list of some of the destinations of the RCSI Class of 2004:
Anaesthesiology (UCSF - within match)
Emergency Medicine (Albert Einstein NY - outside match)
Emergency Medicine (Orlando Regional - within match)
Family Medicine (Duke - within match)
Family Medicine (Abington Memorial, Philadelphia - outside match)
General Surgery (Mayo Clinic - within match)
Internal Medicine (Georgetown - within match)
Internal Medicine (U of New Mexico - within match)
Obstetrics and Gynaecology (Mayo Clinic - within match)
Paediatrics (Children's National Medical Center, George Washington University - within match)
Pathology (U Virginia - outside match)

These people are US IMGs like you will be and some of them are going to very good places. They are a true testement to what can be achieved with the right attitude in coming to study medicine in Ireland.

Even with this selected group you only have four moderately competitive matches (Gas + Obs + 2EM) and zero very competitive ones. Ask the Gen Surg guy if it's Categorical or Prelim. It's almost certainly prelim and therefore just temporary cheap labor. (I hope it's categorical. I don't wish anyone ill. I just suspect that it isn't.) I'd congradulate all those people though, all the matches are great if they're in the field the person wanted. My point again is that 1) if you DON'T want a non-competitive match, then you're pretty screwed as soon as you go abroad, and 2) you don't know what field you'll be interested in until it's too late to turn back. If you can stay in the US and keep your options open, you may end up choosing the same specialty anyway, but at least you'll really have a choice.

I don't know anything about the chick who matched gas at UCSF, but I'd wonder if she has a relative or close friend there. Maybe she just did an elective and did really awesome. Maybe she has a PhD in Pharmacology. I don't know, do you?

student.ie said:
Even with this selected group you only have four moderately competitive matches (Gas + Obs + 2EM) and zero very competitive ones. Ask the Gen Surg guy if it's Categorical or Prelim. It's almost certainly prelim and therefore just temporary cheap labor. (I hope it's categorical. I don't wish anyone ill. I just suspect that it isn't.) I'd congradulate all those people though, all the matches are great if they're in the field the person wanted. My point again is that 1) if you DON'T want a non-competitive match, then you're pretty screwed as soon as you go abroad, and 2) you don't know what field you'll be interested in until it's too late to turn back. If you can stay in the US and keep your options open, you may end up choosing the same specialty anyway, but at least you'll really have a choice.

The guy matched in a categorical general surgery residency in the Mayo.

student.ie said:
I don't know anything about the guy who matched gas at UCSF, but I'd wonder if he has a relative or close friend there. Maybe he just did an elective and did really awesome. Maybe he has a PhD in Pharmacology. I don't know, do you?

SHE doesn't have a PhD and from what I remember didn't actually do any anaethesiology electives....they were surgical. She's not from a so-called "medical family" either. She also gave birth in Final Med...and although I met her only briefly...she comes across as a fairly unique and amazing person :)

Btw, student.ie...are you a student at RCSI?

Trinners said:
The guy matched in a categorical general surgery residency in the Mayo.

Well that's great. Prelim surgery is a big scam that sucks a lot of IMGs in. I mean it's good if you already have a PGY-2 position, but otherwise it ain't.

Thank so much you guys, huge help!!

Has anyone that graduated from rcsi obtained a residency at harvard? That's my dream :)

You could ask Harvard directly, but don't think Harvard has as policy of accepting IMGs for residency. I believe I know of one person (not an Irish USIMG) who matched into a physiatry residency there (Spalding) but apart from that, don't know of other instances.

Some of the RCSI people I listed above were interviewed by Harvard this year. Don't know specifics...sorry!