DEA TRAINING REQUIREMENT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epidural man

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can’t remember if I got this link from this forum, or from work.

Regardless - this free training from NEJM is easy to do and gives you the 10 required credits.

Pain Management and Opioids

But here is my actual point -

First, let me just say that I have mostly stopped giving long-term opioid therapy so really have little recent experience. When I do, I’ll give Nucynta, Butrans patch, or rarely, Tramadol.

The training above is question/answer format - and you get to see how many answered the questions correctly.

Here is the point. MOST questions have 80-90% correct response rate. Which means this: Primary care docs know EXACTLY how to do it and what the right answer and course of action is. Thus, quit managing their opioid patients for them. They know. We are fools to think otherwise and think we need to carry that ball for them.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I did that last year, and what struck me was the idea that long acting opiates were somehow necessary and frequently reasonable for ppl for hurt. I don't care to go back and do it again, and I may be wrong in this, but weren't they recommending OxyContin for general degenerative conditions like knee OA?

Am I remembering this wrong?

Doing that training FELT weird.

Reactions: 1 user
I did that last year, and what struck me was the idea that long acting opiates were somehow necessary and frequently reasonable for ppl for hurt. I don't care to go back and do it again, and I may be wrong in this, but weren't they recommending OxyContin for general degenerative conditions like knee OA?

Am I remembering this wrong?

Doing that training FELT weird.
Agreed and I thought the same.

Felt like this test was written for the standards of 15years ago

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I suspect the reason there is 80-90% correct rate is that the questions were mostly taken from the content. If one is paying attention to what the cme is, then there should be 80% correct rate...

IMO, it's not bad for primary care. It doesn't specifically stand up to the standards of pain management, but I still recommend because there really aren't any simple cme that does.

It isn't the topic of the thread, but may I state clearly and without any murky language how bad I despise ABPMR?

I paid for LA Pain on 6/29/2023, and here it is 7/6/2023 and I still do not have access to the QBank.

Please explain why that isn't an immediate process.

Reactions: 4 users
I can’t remember if I got this link from this forum, or from work.

Regardless - this free training from NEJM is easy to do and gives you the 10 required credits.

Pain Management and Opioids

But here is my actual point -

First, let me just say that I have mostly stopped giving long-term opioid therapy so really have little recent experience. When I do, I’ll give Nucynta, Butrans patch, or rarely, Tramadol.

The training above is question/answer format - and you get to see how many answered the questions correctly.

Here is the point. MOST questions have 80-90% correct response rate. Which means this: Primary care docs know EXACTLY how to do it and what the right answer and course of action is. Thus, quit managing their opioid patients for them. They know. We are fools to think otherwise and think we need to carry that ball for them.
Thanks for the link..and I agree. I have mostly quit except for a few cases. At my hospital the manager tells the patients to call the pcp if they want opioids. Thankfully I rarely get the “they gave me 10 oxy 10s so I could make it to your appointment Doc!” Anymore..

Last edited: