DEA “gaslights” patients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I 100% believe that all those patients sought care elsewhere and were turned down

Reactions: 4 users
Comment section is utterly amazing.

Screenshot_20230401_074537_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230401_074051_Chrome.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Would love to see some of their regimens.

Reactions: 1 user
As seen above in those comments, none are ready to transition to buprenorphine, they’d rather threaten providers and claim they’re going to buy meds off the street or hurt themselves. Very high risk to even see for a consult.

As seen above in those comments, none are ready to transition to buprenorphine, they’d rather threaten providers and claim they’re going to buy meds off the street or hurt themselves. Very high risk to even see for a consult.
I simply refuse.

Won't be a part of it.

This is ANOTHER reason the ortho model works best for physician QoL.

Reactions: 5 users

I simply refuse.

Won't be a part of it.

I wouldn’t go that far, but this is a trap physicians will fall into if they manage high MME patients.

PainNewsNetwork is a pro-opioid website. If you notice, Dr. Forest Tennant is on the board.

If I'm not mistaken, the couple who killed themselves (mentioned in the article) were on several 1200mcg Subsys lollipops every day.

Also, now that I'm thinking about this, why are none of these stupidly-high dose patients on a pump? I'm not for pumps in general, but you'd think that'd be a lot safer than writing all those meds.

Members don't see this ad :)
PainNewsNetwork is a pro-opioid website. If you notice, Dr. Forest Tennant is on the board.

If I'm not mistaken, the couple who killed themselves (mentioned in the article) were on several 1200mcg Subsys lollipops every day.

Also, now that I'm thinking about this, why are none of these stupidly-high dose patients on a pump? I'm not for pumps in general, but you'd think that'd be a lot safer than writing all those meds.
The third patient that died of Bockoffs that unfortunately died was reportedly on scheduled injections at home of hydromorphone ….

Cbs Reaction GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

• Haha

Because it’s a psych problem and not a pain problem. Even on those horrifically high doses they’re probably still complaining of 8/10 pain. A beautifully placed pump will do nothing.

Because it’s a psych problem and not a pain problem. Even on those horrifically high doses they’re probably still complaining of 8/10 pain. A beautifully placed pump will do nothing.
I agree it's not a pain problem at that point, it's a tolerance problem. Every person I know on chronic daily opioids complains of severe pain. I would just think a pump would have been put in long before someone gets subsys.

I’m always suspicious of these sensationalized arachnoiditis patients that “need” high dose opioids. I’ve gone down the rabbit hole on arachnoiditis and the “epidemic” we pain doctors have caused with our ESIs. In my practice I’ve seen maybe 10-15 patients with nerve root clumping on MRI and maybe 2 had mild to moderate chronic neuropathic pain and the rest had no pain related to the condition.

Reactions: 3 users
I’m always suspicious of these sensationalized arachnoiditis patients that “need” high dose opioids. I’ve gone down the rabbit hole on arachnoiditis and the “epidemic” we pain doctors have caused with our ESIs. In my practice I’ve seen maybe 10-15 patients with nerve root clumping on MRI and maybe 2 had mild to moderate chronic neuropathic pain and the rest had no pain related to the condition.
I agree. Had one legit arachnoiditis patient post surgery. Chronic back and radicular pain. Nerve clumping on CT myelogram. Tried a bunch of stuff (injections and non opioid meds) that didn’t really end up helping too much. Was a very reasonable patient who said he’d ultimately live with it rather than being on opioids. Even refused butrans patch I offered.

I've seen several with "nerve root clumping" on MRI, but it almost never matches the symptoms and these patient's aren't miserable.

And this is why no one will touch these folks.. all risk and difficult personalities with zero reward. Most of these types have deep seated personality disorders and would be better off seeing psych/addiction medicine physicians. Not my circus not my monkeys.. if there was some sort of legal protection for trying to help these people maybe more would be willing.

Reactions: 3 users

Pumps do nothing for those who are addicted, as some of these patients are.

You would be surprised how many people I have seen with pumps that are still treated with oral meds.

If you want to guess, choose a number between 85% and 100.

Reactions: 1 users
I simply refuse.

Won't be a part of it.

Can you please elaborate on this?

Won't be a part of what exactly? Prescribing opiates?

Also, what do you mean by "Ortho model"?

Thanks