Dating in Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Im dating a teacher right now and...man...you are right on the money. :)

I second that for the ladies :). I'm dating a teacher as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Haha I have never had a reason to believe any of my classmates think PharmD students are dumb, unattractive, etc. I don't think they're looked down upon.

What about pharmacy students! We dont have a life either...

But I have a couple in my class who broke up (I think? they still sit by each other everyday) and its pretty interesting to just look @ them in class and also hear all the gossip involved... lol the guy yelled at the girl the other day outside of class and someone heard and now they're being called the white version of Chris Brown and Rihanna.

But do MD students see Pharm D. students as inferior, or "Not able to understand what their going through"? I've always wanted to know this, b/c I think we have alottttt in common as far as the social situation is concerned.
I don't see pharm students as inferior, just different, but I have yet to meet a pharm student that works as hard as the average med student as far as time is concerned.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly,

I would prefer to date outside of my class, I'm not too incredibly thrilled on being the fodder for all the gossip that happens during this craziness. At least if it's outside of my class then my future colleagues won't know my all my heartbreak drama....

nitecrawler, seriously? NO hot girls in med school?? I'm offended! I'm pretty confident in saying I'm at least attractive and, granted I'm not in med school yet, I'll be there this summer.

and someone else said something about one night a week does not make a relationship. I've been in a long distance relationship w/ my high school sweet heart for 7 years now. We see each other 3 times a year if we're lucky but talk on the phone every single day. We have a strong friendship and our relationship is not ALL about sex.

You don't necessarilly have to be face to face every day to be in a relationship. And guess what, the old saying "distance makes the heart grow fonder" is definitely true (it's true b/w the sheets too!).

You don't necessarilly have to be face to face every day to be in a relationship. And guess what, the old saying "distance makes the heart grow fonder" is definitely true (it's true b/w the sheets too!).

People also say "out of sight, out of mind."

Just saying, conventional wisdom has an argument for every side of every fence.

But, kudos to you guys.

I met my girlfriend at the start of this year, she's an MS1 and I'm an MS2. Med school for me was the perfect solution to my problem of never being able to find a girl that I really clicked with on both a physical AND intellectual level. As other posters have stated, when you throw a bunch of smart, successful, generally (in my experience) good-looking people together then things are bound to happen. I have friends who are dating people not in med school, and they're relationships are starting to fray a bit. Unless you have the most patient, understanding bf/gf ever, then they are bound to get frustrated and not understand the amount of time that has to be dedicated to school and studying. MY ADVICE: Find someone in med school with you, use study time as together time, that way you can maximize the time you get together while also being productive academically. Good Luck! :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you. But I think out of sight out of mind in this sense only applies to ADD horn dogs, which neither of us are. So it works for us, maybe not for you. :)

Alright check it out. 90% of your classmates will be either married or in a relationship they've had going for 8 years. Most female med students aren't gorgeous and have rather low self esteem, meaning that most are hanging on to whatever guy they've managed to get in their pre-medschool lives. They'll hang onto this guy relentlessly, even if he IS an automechanic or the cashier at Shaw's, because they're comfortable with him and for fear of ending up alone.
The other 10% will be either nothing you'd be interested in or that awful, snobby, I'm-from-a-rich-family and I'm-too-good-for-everyone type. These women are flying high on the pretentiousness they were taught as children, and will declare themselves too good for anybody but a venture capitalist from Harvard business school with 3 ponies in the stable and rock-hard abs. Most of these latter type aren't too pretty but act as if they are, and are altogether just as cocky.

MY ADVICE: GO FOR A LOCAL GIRL WHO ISN'T IN MEDICAL SCHOOL. You get a lot more bang for your buck. For the same effort you'll get someone more attractive, requiring less maintenance, and who will likely NOT have any delusions about being as intelligent as you, and will thereby not argue with you all the damned time.

nitecrawler, seriously? NO hot girls in med school?? I'm offended! I'm pretty confident in saying I'm at least attractive and, granted I'm not in med school yet, I'll be there this summer.

and someone else said something about one night a week does not make a relationship. I've been in a long distance relationship w/ my high school sweet heart for 7 years now. We see each other 3 times a year if we're lucky but talk on the phone every single day. We have a strong friendship and our relationship is not ALL about sex.

pretty strong words by both sides... thought you guys should um... "meet". :smuggrin:

You are right that it is highly rotation dependent. On Family Med, Psych, and outpatient peds there really is plenty of time. On Medicine, Surgery, OB/Gyn, and inpatient peds not so much. I guess I can't really see myself starting up a new relationship when I really only have one free night per week to work with (and by the end of the rotation will need for studying anyway), but you may be more skilled than I in the ways of efficient dating. For me, just being able to go out once a week does not a relationship make.

Well put, Yoda. :smuggrin:

So I've been looking at my future school's website complete with class photos.

The med school girls --> pretty
The med school boys --> :( :confused: :wtf:
The pharm boys --> :nod:
The graduate engineering boys --> :eyebrow:
The law boys --> alpha males :love:
The dental boys --> :biglove:

I wonder if this is an isolated phenomenon...

pretty strong words by both sides... thought you guys should um... "meet". :smuggrin:

haha yeah except my boyfriend is not a mechanic and I don't have low self esteem. He's getting his PhD in a specific field of material science. This is why we're long distance and we're going to be equally successful. Sooo I don't think apply to Caulfield's theory. haha sorry, not interested.

I met my girlfriend at the start of this year, she's an MS1 and I'm an MS2. Med school for me was the perfect solution to my problem of never being able to find a girl that I really clicked with on both a physical AND intellectual level. As other posters have stated, when you throw a bunch of smart, successful, generally (in my experience) good-looking people together then things are bound to happen. I have friends who are dating people not in med school, and they're relationships are starting to fray a bit. Unless you have the most patient, understanding bf/gf ever, then they are bound to get frustrated and not understand the amount of time that has to be dedicated to school and studying. MY ADVICE: Find someone in med school with you, use study time as together time, that way you can maximize the time you get together while also being productive academically. Good Luck! :thumbup:

This thread turned out to be fun!

Regarding studying with your SO, that actually almost destroyed my relationship. Once my boyfriend identified studying as a source of stress, and we tried NOT studying together, ALL our time together became quality time, and we stopped associated each other with being stressed out. Quitting studying together saved our relationship, but I'm sure there are other med school couples out there who love working together.

Oh, P.S. My class is pretty attractive--we have a lot of athletes--marathon runners, rock climbers, triathletes. We have Miss [insert our state name here] from a few years back. We have Mr. March 2008 in my class (he was the abs of the month last year on an abs website). We have a former professional soccer player. And we just have a lot of healthy, fit, attractive people in general.

I'd say our girls *might* be hotter than the dental girls (not sure though), but the dental men take the cake, although you can smell their ego before you even get to the weight room.

Oh, and I've met a few pharm students--they're awesome people, and they work their tails off. And they're decent-looking; one of them asked me out.

Also, PA students work FAR harder than we do. It's only two years, but they make us look pretty lazy their first year.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Regarding studying with your SO, that actually almost destroyed my relationship. Once my boyfriend identified studying as a source of stress, and we tried NOT studying together, ALL our time together became quality time, and we stopped associated each other with being stressed out. Quitting studying together saved our relationship, but I'm sure there are other med school couples out there who love working together.

Oh, P.S. My class is pretty attractive--we have a lot of athletes--marathon runners, rock climbers, triathletes. We have Miss [insert our state name here] from a few years back. We have Mr. March 2008 in my class (he was the abs of the month last year on an abs website). We have a former professional soccer player. And we just have a lot of healthy, fit, attractive people in general.

I'd say our girls *might* be hotter than the dental girls (not sure though), but the dental men take the cake, although you can smell their ego before you even get to the weight room.

Oh, and I've met a few pharm students--they're awesome people, and they work their tails off. And they're decent-looking; one of them asked me out.

Also, PA students work FAR harder than we do. It's only two years, but they make us look pretty lazy their first year.

A few things puzzle me about this post.

1) Why do dental students have egos.

Ok actually just one thing.

In regards to women, PA and RN students are the hottest, not surprisingly. They tend to be more maternally-oriented and have more time to shop.

If you are both going to be physicians in the future, work and study are going to be a part of your life, and that might be the only time you have together some weeks. So if that leads to dissolution of / fighting in your relationship, I would suggest re-considering this fellow of yours and and start talking to Mr. Abs 2010.

yeah... those idiots.. how dare they have any kind of self esteem... argh.. fools...
please help them absolve themselves of this sin and be more modest like you O Almighty Physician God :lol:

my bf has made me happier than I have been in years. and he's not in med school which I think is a wonderful thing...so much stress relief and distraction. I was actually quite happy during anatomy and I think without him I would have been a miserable f***.

In regards to women, PA and RN students are the hottest, not surprisingly. They tend to be more maternally-oriented and have more time to shop.

If you are both going to be physicians in the future, work and study are going to be a part of your life, and that might be the only time you have together some weeks. So if that leads to dissolution of / fighting in your relationship, I would suggest re-considering this fellow of yours and and start talking to Mr. Abs 2010.

Wow, I apologize--I didn't mean to offend any dental students out there. I really am just reflecting on the ones at my school. Here, all the schools judge the dental students in that manner. Part of it too, is that we have more military scholarship dental students than in any other program, and with the military comes pride in country & self, as well as fitness.

I agree the nursing women are super cute. But I think female PA students have so little time, self-care and shopping sort of go out the window during their first year. I'm sure they are able to recoop after first year though.

As far as my boyfriend and I go, we love being able to understand, appreciate, and respect how busy each of us is. We just choose not to spend our most stressful time together. We value reflecting on how difficult school and life can be at times; we just choose to enjoy the best of each other, usually daily, instead of the worst of each other. Anyhow, I appreciate your concern and advice, but we've found a way that works for us, and that makes us happy.

Wow, I apologize--I didn't mean to offend any dental students out there. I really am just reflecting on the ones at my school. Here, all the schools judge the dental students in that manner. Part of it too, is that we have more military scholarship dental students than in any other program, and with the military comes pride in country & self, as well as fitness.

hey don't worry about it.. i was actually responding to davosPlatz.

what you said may very well be true and an honest opinion, but what he/she said was more of an insult (why do dental students have ego??). just standin up for my dental men! :)

I know the pharm boards are slow, sorry. Yes, in GENERAL you are looked down on by medical students. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a very gentle liar, not honest with themselves, or hold their classmates in a higher regard than I do. There's a ton of reasons, some are justified and others are not. But, as with any good sweeping generalization there are many exceptions to the rule, unfortunately you will have to prove yourself fighting an uphill battle. You do have a better understanding of what we go through than most, although lots of med students think you suffer from delusions of grandeur. I would say for my class (midwest) the respect level is as follows:
MD>DO>PhD>PharmD>Pharm=PA>>NP>nurse anesthetist>BSN>nurse>techs>>lawyers

I apologize for the multiple offensive comments, I don't have any contact/personal experience with anybody besides M1s, and occasionally M2s so this is based off study break gossip exclusively. Pathetic I know.

No prob.... except dang you given PhD's more credibility than pharmacist?!?! I never seen them go on rotations for a year or a 2 year residency!

I don't see pharm students as inferior, just different, but I have yet to meet a pharm student that works as hard as the average med student as far as time is concerned.

Well, you really need to come to my school.... we're in class 8-5 everyday, Only one hour lunch break, and of course we study all day too, no life what-so-ever. In fact from my counter parts at Northwestern med school, we're in class Wayyyyy more than them. And we don't have Pass/Fail either *yea I wish*

So I've been looking at my future school's website complete with class photos.

The med school boys --> :( :confused: :wtf:
The pharm boys --> :nod:
The graduate engineering boys --> :eyebrow:
The law boys --> alpha males :love:
The dental boys --> :biglove:

I wonder if this is an isolated phenomenon...

You think we sexy? We think you sexy too!!

Thank you, we do work hard, extremely hard! Your prize: Come pick one of my classmates to be your husband/bride....

this thread definitely got off track... and then back on but then waaaaay off again.

this thread definitely got off track... and then back on but then waaaaay off again.

I just wanted to know....

But to keep things back on track, you wanna hang out sometime ACGator? ;)

there are NO hot girls in medical school. Even the ones that were remotely attractive at the onset became somehow weird once you got to know them better (i.e a weird laugh or a sneeze that is ridiculously loud, or man-hands.. basically anything that theres a seinfeld episode about.) Its like there is a filter for hotness at med school. I suppose it goes for the guys too.

But . . . there's a Seinfeld episode about EVERYTHING.

I rarely ever log in anymore to post, but stop in time to time if I need something. This thread caught my eye and compelled me to respond because there really are some absolutely HORRIBLE and elitist attitudes out there. Wow.

I started dating my girlfriend 3 months in to M1. She is a senior in college 150 miles away from where I am in medical school. Our families have been friends for quite some time, I finally manned up and asked her out. Anyways, point is, despite my ridiculous schedule and her ridiculous schedule, we have managed to go almost 1.5 years. I am head over heals in love and couldn't be any happier. Is it really tough at times when both of our exam schedules clash and make it difficult to spend time? Yes. Would I trade it to be with a girl in my class that I could see all the time? Absolutely not. Also, get off your high horses. You're in medical school. Aside from you and your parents, no one else gives a sh-t. You are no better than the patient sitting in front of you puking out of his a-hole. You can date non-MDs. Tisk tisk. As a matter of fact, I would never consider dating anyone in medical school.

ya know if you look for something you will find it...

sure you can date med students and true love can always be randomly found...

but there are better ways..

if you wanna be around a lot of beautiful, interesting girls, go live in eastern europe for a while. Go to an SEC college and tailgate with the pretty young ladies in summer dresses watching football. get a job at a nicer restaurant and you'll work with/serve tons of cool, good-looking girls every day. Play in a band around town. ETC ETC.

med school... eh.. it's okay but I have waaaaaay less contact with fun, beautiful, interesting girls in med school than in previous life. not to be rude.. I've been lucky enough to have dated some pretty amazing girls (they're amazing to me at least..), you know when everything works out and you wake up every day to 18 hrs of perfection.. but ehhh.. that is not the med school environment. girls like that wouldn't go to med school, and if they did they wouldn't be the same.. whatever that means. jmo HOPE I'M WRONG! lol

Last edited:
LOLLL Top 10 reasons to date a pharmacist: #3, We do it over the counter :cool:
you mean BEHIND the counter? cuz you wouldnt be needed if its over the counter...

Why limit ourselves to dating ONLY someone IN med school, or ONLY people NOT in med school? Do you really care what your significant other does for a living? If you do, maybe they're not that significant.

I enjoy my boyfriend because I liked who was he when we met, and I still like who he is now that we're in med school.

I guess I'm just saying, we never know when or how we'll meet someone, but if we don't give them a chance, we might miss an opportunity of a lifetime.

Why limit ourselves to dating ONLY someone IN med school, or ONLY people NOT in med school? Do you really care what your significant other does for a living? If you do, maybe they're not that significant.

I enjoy my boyfriend because I liked who was he when we met, and I still like who he is now that we're in med school.

I guess I'm just saying, we never know when or how we'll meet someone, but if we don't give them a chance, we might miss an opportunity of a lifetime.

If you eliminate both of those, who is left? :smuggrin:
This debate has been interesting to read, I'll report back in the fall if the stereotype that the dental boys are hot is true, lol. :xf:

Im dating a teacher right now and...man...you are right on the money. :)

Aren't there rules against this? Or do you just have to wait until your class is over? I think it is different in undergrad.

I just realized that there is another important factor in choosing a medschool - the attractiveness of your future medschool classes (I didn't know you can look at pictures).

Another possibility I have heard involves hanging around at the library of you local law school. So just make sure your medschool has a lawschool nearby. Dental/pharm/nursing schools are already a given at most medschools.

Maybe eventually we'll have some matchmaking feature on SDN, even though it may raise the probability of neurotic-neurotic coupling by several magnitudes.

Aren't there rules against this? Or do you just have to wait until your class is over? I think it is different in undergrad.

:laugh: They mean someone who 'teaches'. Not necessarily their teacher.

I just realized that there is another important factor in choosing a medschool - the attractiveness of your future medschool classes (I didn't know you can look at pictures).

Another possibility I have heard involves hanging around at the library of you local law school. So just make sure your medschool has a lawschool nearby. Dental/pharm/nursing schools are already a given at most medschools.

Maybe eventually we'll have some matchmaking feature on SDN, even though it may raise the probability of neurotic-neurotic coupling by several magnitudes.

Believe me, this is a misnomer, at least where I'm from. I study at the law library on occasion and their women look ridden hard and put away wet. If the girls at my med school look anything like that I'm going to steer away from the stable. Very far away...

Believe me, this is a misnomer, at least where I'm from. I study at the law library on occasion and their women look ridden hard and put away wet. If the girls at my med school look anything like that I'm going to steer away from the stable. Very far away...

:laugh:

What do you look like?

Hahahahahaha. Well, I think you'd need to elaborate a bit because from what you describe, it doesn't sound bad.

I have worked in the field for a while and lawyers as a group are hot and intelligent (though can be argumentative at times, so you'd want to be a good debater before marrying one). Nurses can be pretty, but the overall level is definitely not the same. Maybe I am too far past the point of heavy bias due to my intimate interaction with the "legal" system.

That was the funniest thing I've heard all day, and I've been up for 16 hours.

:laugh:

What do you look like?

Picture the sexiest guy you can imagine. Now add 50 pounds, gorilla like chest hair, and a strongly receding hairline which has been styled into a skullet (a mullet for the hair impaired)... Presto. That's me! :p

Picture the sexiest guy you can imagine. Now add 50 pounds, gorilla like chest hair, and a strongly receding hairline which has been styled into a skullet (a mullet for the hair impaired)... Presto. That's me! :p

Hawt.

:laugh: You kidding me? ~10% of female med students are usually cute or hot, but ~95% come to med school already in serious relationships (ie. engaged). You will have a couple girls that most guys might want to date, and other 20 that no one besides skinny, geeky guys would date.

:laugh: You kidding me? ~10% of female med students are usually cute or hot, but ~95% come to med school already in serious relationships (ie. engaged). You will have a couple girls that most guys might want to date, and other 20 that no one besides skinny, geeky guys would date.

Maybe we have different definitions of pretty b/c ~80% of the girls were attractive and ~95% of the girls were more attractive than their male counterparts.

Uhm, most med school guys are skinny & geeky. :confused:
There are a few muscle-bound douche bags (e.g. The Todd), but most are more J.D.'ish.

The handsome alpha males (e.g. Turk) are few & far between in med school b/c most alpha males who are scientifically inclined tend to become dentists or engineers.

I think the word you're looking for is: Phat!

You know... Pretty Hot And Tempting. :smuggrin:

I'd let you buy me lunch. ;)

I am married to someone totally non-med-school-related.

My class included exactly one married couple (already engaged when they got there) and one dating couple that met in med school (and couples matched.) We've had some dating but nothing serious. Other classes in my school seem to be about the same

In contrast, when my husband was in graduate school, we counted and almost 20% of his class was hitched/engaged to EACH OTHER by graduation day. The students in years above and below him didn't seem to have quite as high a number, but still far more than we ever did.

Very interesting phenomenon!