DAT?? study hint???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

busz84

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anybody here have taken DAT and wanna give me some hints for studying PAT, bio and o-chem???? thanks guyz

Members don't see this ad.

For bio, flashcards worked well for me. I think I went through my stack of 500 cards about 6 times.

For O-chem, I'd work as many problems as possible. For me, that meant doing lots of homework problems out of the book.

For the PAT, I got an engineering text book from the university library. I found as many practice problems as possible, and I drew all of the possible views for each object. That helped me a lot with the keyholes, top-front-end, and pattern folding. For keyholes, I made up a bunch of my own practice problems. Finally, for angles and cube counting, I used Kaplan's materials to practice, practice, practice.

hey, that shounds really good, u must got high score for ur DAT??? what books did u buy to study? i have the one from KAPLAN, that's it. well, i used some additional biochem and ochem books as well

Members don't see this ad :)
I really liked the Kaplan flashcards. I went through those things at least 10 times. And let me tell you, there are a lot of them. You might want to go on the for sale forum and see if anyone is selling them. Good Luck!

busz84 said:
hey, that shounds really good, u must got high score for ur DAT??? what books did u buy to study? i have the one from KAPLAN, that's it. well, i used some additional biochem and ochem books as well

I paid the $1000 to Kaplan and got all of their online resources and their big white book. I also bought examkrackers' Gen Chem and Ochem, but I hardly used them.

The real PAT was harder than any practice test I took, so the best advice I would give is to practice a lot and know and understand the harder questions cause thats what you're gonna get on the real test. Good luck.

My Ochem questions were simple reactions. Nothing over the top and very few (if any?) reactions from the second semester of Organic.

Not too difficult to study for, IMO.

I completely agree with JRogoff - those flashcards were probably the core of my studying for the DAT. They've got basic principles, and if you absolutely memorize and master them, and think about how they relate to each other and your studies out of other books, it'll help you out quite a bit with combining all your knowledge holistically rather than cramming and memorizing a bunch of facts into your head. They're great because you can take them with you anywhere you go.

I went out and bought colored rubber bands, and separated each subject something like this: purple rubber band - still to be covered; red rubber band - repeats; green rubber band - mastered. If you memorize the ideas almost down to the exact wording, it'll help you get the concepts down cold.

This might've been more info than you wanted to know, but if it helps you or someone else, then great! :)

ItsGavinC said:
My Ochem questions were simple reactions. Nothing over the top and very few (if any?) reactions from the second semester of Organic.

Not too difficult to study for, IMO.

There are some reactions involving aromatic rings... but, concentrate on the basics. I got 29 on Ochem on DAT without taking the second semester.

i was studying PAT w/ acetheDAT which I bought online..
the angle part was too hard to even figure which is the largest and smallest...they differ only by 1degree...
does it happen to the real one??
should I be trained??

Did someone also mention not going to sdn too often?
known how addictive it could get.
it might disturb u from studying.

Jinnie,
be aware that mira mesa/sorrento valley center is famous for it pixelied lines, so it is like tiny little steps when i took the angle ranking. i didnt know what to do with them, so i did pretty bad in that section. otherwise, i would practice practice practice.
get a good score to show us that acetheDAT is worth buying, ya?
good luck

JavadiCavity said:
For bio, flashcards worked well for me. I think I went through my stack of 500 cards about 6 times.

For O-chem, I'd work as many problems as possible. For me, that meant doing lots of homework problems out of the book.

For the PAT, I got an engineering text book from the university library. I found as many practice problems as possible, and I drew all of the possible views for each object. That helped me a lot with the keyholes, top-front-end, and pattern folding. For keyholes, I made up a bunch of my own practice problems. Finally, for angles and cube counting, I used Kaplan's materials to practice, practice, practice.

Java - what flashcards are you talking about? The ones the Kaplan gives you or did you make your own? Thanks!

where can you buy kaplan's flash cards at? How much do they cost? Did anyone one find them helpful for organic/gen chem?

God I wish I can take the DAT again. Now one year after I've taken it and gone through the whole application thing this seams like a piece of cake.

My advice: take and retake as many tests as possible after you go over the material few times. You need to feel confident in what you know, then stress on the practice tests and do A LOT of 'em. Take the DAT when you know you are ready.