DAT Scheduling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ICantEven

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been 'cleared' to schedule the DAT. I apply in this cycle - when would be the best time to take the DAT?

I was thinking sometime mid-May.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with thehonya, 2-3 months of study time should be sufficient for the average person. If you have time to kill and you really want to destory the DAT, take it in early May to leave yourself time to fill out the AADSAS application and for official scores to be processed before the application cycle officially opens in June.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with thehonya, 2-3 months of study time should be sufficient for the average person. If you have time to kill and you really want to destory the DAT, take it in early May to leave yourself time to fill out the AADSAS application and for official scores to be processed before the application cycle officially opens in June.

I am taking 4 classes in the upcoming semester, all science classes - however, two of those classes have a reputation of being 'blow off' classes (aka, easy classes). My two 'real' classes are Orgo 2 and Into to Micro. With that being said, I have classes 3 days a week only.

I have been 'cleared' to schedule the DAT. I apply in this cycle - when would be the best time to take the DAT?

I was thinking sometime mid-May.

Hello ICantEven,

Your main focus should be to keep your GPA as high as possible. That means shooting for an A in Orgo 2 .. You can always retake the DAT but your GPA will follow you for life. A high science GPA and high DAT scores will open a lot of doors to dental schools.

The best advice I can give a student is to not take the DAT until you feel fully prepared. The goal should be to face the DAT Beast once and Destroy it and only you know how much time you need for that. Follow your own study schedule, one that works for you. All students are different and a study schedule that works for you may be wrong for another student.

Wishing you the very best in your studies and on the DAT!

Take care..Nancy

Hello ICantEven,

Your main focus should be to keep your GPA as high as possible. That means shooting for an A in Orgo 2 .. You can always retake the DAT but your GPA will follow you for life. A high science GPA and high DAT scores will open a lot of doors to dental schools.

The best advice I can give a student is to not take the DAT until you feel fully prepared. The goal should be to face the DAT Beast once and Destroy it and only you know how much time you need for that. Follow your own study schedule, one that works for you. All students are different and a study schedule that works for you may be wrong for another student.

Wishing you the very best in your studies and on the DAT!

Take care..Nancy

Hey Nancy,

I have worked as best as I can with the GPA and am currently at the averages for my top two schools in Michigan (including Science GPA). All that is left for me is the DAT.

I have gone and scheduled it for May 18th, 2016. I hope to be ready by then, but I will continue to assess my progress until the test date so as to make sure that I am as well prepared as possible - if I feel as if I need more time, I will reschedule as soon as I feel unprepared. I promised myself that I will not take it until I feel as if I am as prepared as possible.

I will be using the Destroy the DAT series book for Organic Chemistry, Quantitative reasoning, and the General Destroy the DAT. Thank you!

Hey Nancy,

I have worked as best as I can with the GPA and am currently at the averages for my top two schools in Michigan (including Science GPA). All that is left for me is the DAT.

I have gone and scheduled it for May 18th, 2016. I hope to be ready by then, but I will continue to assess my progress until the test date so as to make sure that I am as well prepared as possible - if I feel as if I need more time, I will reschedule as soon as I feel unprepared. I promised myself that I will not take it until I feel as if I am as prepared as possible.

I will be using the Destroy the DAT series book for Organic Chemistry, Quantitative reasoning, and the General Destroy the DAT. Thank you!

I love your plan! If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Wishing you the best!

Nancy