DAT IN A WEEK FREAKING OUT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Barney12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been studying for 2-3 months and my practice scores are pretty low. I can't move the test back. sometimes my scores are 19-20 but often a 17-18 in the sciences. I don't know if it is nerves or what but I can't seem to get my sciences up. Is there anyone who got low practice scores and did well on the test? I want atleast a 20. I feel like there is no way I can study for this long and it not pay off.....but who knows.

on the 2009 I got a 19 in bio, 17 in gchem and a 17 i ochem
yesterday i took a topscore and got a 21 in ochem, 19 in gchem, 22 on bio

Members don't see this ad.

My suggestion would be to look for patterns in the questions that you are missing. For example, do you always miss stereochem questions in orgo? Figure out where your weakness is in each subject, and focus on learning those topics extremely well. Don't just memorize answers and definitions.. try to deeply understand the topics that you are struggling with. If you're working with destroyer, don't just memorize the answers. Look at questions you got wrong and try to understand every option. Maybe the question is "which of the following are true about dicots". When I would review a question like that, I would write out a list on the spot of everything I know about dicots and monocots and their relationship. This way you are developing an understanding of the topic, not just memorizing that one fact is true about dicots.

Grinding out a ton of practice tests isn't going to magically make your scores rocket up. I would focus more on reviewing the content. You can do this! Keep your head up and crank out some long study hours this last week.

Reactions: 1 user
Make a final push! I didn't do that great on 09 and look at how I did on my DAT lol. I did fairly similarly to you in topscore as well if you switch the bio and gchem.

Members don't see this ad :)
My suggestion would be to look for patterns in the questions that you are missing. For example, do you always miss stereochem questions in orgo? Figure out where your weakness is in each subject, and focus on learning those topics extremely well. Don't just memorize answers and definitions.. try to deeply understand the topics that you are struggling with. If you're working with destroyer, don't just memorize the answers. Look at questions you got wrong and try to understand every option. Maybe the question is "which of the following are true about dicots". When I would review a question like that, I would write out a list on the spot of everything I know about dicots and monocots and their relationship. This way you are developing an understanding of the topic, not just memorizing that one fact is true about dicots.

Grinding out a ton of practice tests isn't going to magically make your scores rocket up. I would focus more on reviewing the content. You can do this! Keep your head up and crank out some long study hours this last week.
Agreed!

Hi,

I have been studying for 2-3 months and my practice scores are pretty low. I can't move the test back. sometimes my scores are 19-20 but often a 17-18 in the sciences. I don't know if it is nerves or what but I can't seem to get my sciences up. Is there anyone who got low practice scores and did well on the test? I want atleast a 20. I feel like there is no way I can study for this long and it not pay off.....but who knows.

on the 2009 I got a 19 in bio, 17 in gchem and a 17 i ochem
yesterday i took a topscore and got a 21 in ochem, 19 in gchem, 22 on bio
Stop doing practice test and focus on weak areas. Continuing to take practice tests is only going to add to your "freak out". There is no magic test you can take to predict your scores. It's a fools folly to think so. Look at your week areas on the 2009, was it silly mistakes? if so make sure to correct so you do not do the same thing on test day.

Just my 2 cents

Wishing the best..

Nancy